New Lexus Vehicle to Debut Next Week at Detroit Auto Show

Reactions
Is anybody else surprised about how little buzz has LC generated? I mean that Faradat Future's vaporware concept is getting so much attention. I think the automotive industry is turning into the tech industry in which I'm afraid Japanese companies like Toyota (including Lexus) stand no chance in.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Is anybody else surprised about how little buzz has LC generated? I mean that Faradat Future's vaporware concept is getting so much attention. I think the automotive industry is turning into the tech industry in which I'm afraid Japanese companies like Toyota (including Lexus) stand no chance in.

A testament to Lexus keeping things hush as always until of course after this upcoming unveil where the big buzz will take off.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^Agreed. The teaser also shows nothing about the car and they haven't even issued a press release.... just that section under the "Future Vehicles" section of the website, which you have to dig for.

They're being more secretive about this car than any other debut in recent memory. Every new debut in the last few years has had a teaser showing some element of the car itself - usually headlights, grill, tail lights, etc.

I'm thinking and hoping that Lexus retunes the 5.0L V8 for more torque and thus, maybe a little less horsepower. Being based on the LS platform, I'm expecting the standard LC to have a slightly more relaxed attitude, whereas the F cars that use the engine in 467/389lb-ft guise are more high strung. Also, a big part of why the German cars feel so much faster is their torque advantage. I'd personally like to see something like 450hp and 425lb-ft of torque - that'd be a little more usable in daily driving, probably a tad smoother, and make the car feel faster off the line.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
^Agreed. The teaser also shows nothing about the car and they haven't even issued a press release.... just that section under the "Future Vehicles" section of the website, which you have to dig for.

They're being more secretive about this car than any other debut in recent memory. Every new debut in the last few years has had a teaser showing some element of the car itself - usually headlights, grill, tail lights, etc.

I'm thinking and hoping that Lexus retunes the 5.0L V8 for more torque and thus, maybe a little less horsepower. Being based on the LS platform, I'm expecting the standard LC to have a slightly more relaxed attitude, whereas the F cars that use the engine in 467/389lb-ft guise are more high strung. Also, a big part of why the German cars feel so much faster is their torque advantage. I'd personally like to see something like 450hp and 425lb-ft of torque - that'd be a little more usable in daily driving, probably a tad smoother, and make the car feel faster off the line.

you are not going to get that much gain in tq though... i also think it will be reworked, but I am thinking 420hp430hp max and +400lb tq... but important part is to shift it down below, not the maximum amount alone.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
If I'm Lexus, I add a small turbo to the base V8 to fill in any torque deficit. The LCF can get the twin-turbo treatment.

Can't wait to see the new next-generation interior and the specs on the new hybrid system.
I am expecting revolutionary, not evolutionary upgrades.
BD

D

DDas

Due to the spy shots we have seen, I think it's the LC. The RC Convertible is another option it could be but we still would have seen some sort of spy shots of it. Even though it is just an RC, Lexus would still have to test it. We also haven't seen any LS spy shots so it can't be that either. Here's to the LC (and hopefully, later, an LCF).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Due to the spy shots we have seen, I think it's the LC. The RC Convertible is another option it could be but we still would have seen some sort of spy shots of it. Even though it is just an RC, Lexus would still have to test it. We also haven't seen any LS spy shots so it can't be that either. Here's to the LC (and hopefully, later, an LCF).

good idea about RC Convertible.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
It's very clear to me the sound bite is a door latch being opened followed by a door closing.
Which means what?
Has to be a sporty coupe by the tire tracks. Why would you burnout an SUV or a sedan?
Not at all compelling marketing IMO.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
It might be the new LS because the LC has frameless windows, because when closing the door there should be a window winding back up sound.

It's an interesting thought. In addition, frameless doors also sound a little "rattley". But I still believe it will be the LC and Lexus just figured out how to make one heck of a solid frameless door. :)

As for the sound clip, if only we heard the roar of the 5L V8, but then that would be a giveaway!
3 more days!

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
It might be the new LS because the LC has frameless windows, because when closing the door there should be a window winding back up sound.

It's an interesting thought. In addition, frameless doors also sound a little "rattley". But I still believe it will be the LC and Lexus just figured out how to make one heck of a solid frameless door. :)

As for the sound clip, if only we heard the roar of the 5L V8, but then that would be a giveaway!
3 more days!
I was thinking the same thing, if we heard the V8 it would be a clear giveaway. It's definitely the LC, that why we haven't even seen a body panel or the wheel.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Well the LC had a hell of a buzz...when it debuted at the 2012 NAIAS. It is now four years later which his an eternity in the car game. That said I think the market is looking for a dynamic upper tier sport coupe from Japan and once it nails the looks, I am sure it will find buyers. Just as important initially, it will need to get the interest of the media who can make/break a car with reviews. We don't want another RC F fiasco.

Lexus-LF-LC.jpg

As a general FYI, for all the crap the SC 430 got, it always met and exceeded initial sales goals and I believe 3k deposits were put on the spot when the production car debuted on the show circuit.

The LC will need to truly evoke an emotional response and I think if they nail styling, they will have a huge winner. I am pretty certain they will nail luxury, tech, the drive.

Its exciting to think Lexus went from no coupes, to the basically unobtainable LFA only, to now the RC and LC!!!

Lexus-LF-LC-next-to-Lexus-LFA.jpg

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
i said it from long time ago from the early beginning
Toyota needs to change all it's strategy and still saying it
step 1: kill Scion
step 2: kill HS / CT / ES and put all there resources into Camry / Corolla / Avalon
step 3: Create a Land Cruiser brand and kill LX / GX or replace them to CUV not SUV as they are now
step 4: buy for Lexus any heritage British brand and make a merging inside the 2 brands into 1 brand as Audi nowadays is the result of 4 brands
step 5: never kill or stop the LFA
step 6: Crown , Mark-X shall have a new real global design so they can be in Toyota Lineup again " if Hyundai succeed with Genesis & Equus why Toyota will fail with Mark-X and Crown.
step 7: give the Century a real new total fresh design to go with the Bentley

no . i am not crazy , and yes it will be amazing success