New Details on the Updated 2016 Lexus LX 570

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well Lexfather, I think that there is a strong chance of this achieving over 500 sales a month in the US :).

As mentioned in another thread, large luxury SUVs are definitely popular, if done right.

To me this refresh is flat-out amazing; on the same level as the 2015 Camry refresh. This refreshed LX has a bigger "bling" factor, more flashy styling, and a MUCH improved interior. Most importantly, it will look and feel much more expensive and fancy to customers in this class.

A lot of people were (and still are) shocked at how much GX sales improved with the refreshed model. It just goes to show you that with luxury SUVs, the feel and the look is important. Keep in mind that the GX refresh was much, much less significant than this LX refresh is.

Aside from increased US sales, of course as you mentioned, I would expect improved Middle East sales, and likely increased sales in other markets as well.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Good point about the GX.... I don't think anyone saw those huge sales increases coming and they are holding steady....it might be one of the most successful MMC's in Lexus history! The QX56 sells around 1k a month but its priced from 60-90k. The LX is pretty much a 90k only vehicle. It will be super interesting to see how this goes!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah definitely.

Also just to put into context, the Escalade ranges from 73K-100K or so, and it easily sells on average around 2500-4000 units per month in the US. Now obviously the Escalade is the sales king in North America for this segment, but it shows it can be done. I think the LX achieving a fraction of Escalade sales would not be a big stretch.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yeah definitely.

Also just to put into context, the Escalade ranges from 73K-100K or so, and it easily sells on average around 2500-4000 units per month in the US. Now obviously the Escalade is the sales king in North America for this segment, but it shows it can be done. I think the LX achieving a fraction of Escalade sales would not be a big stretch.

I agree that the LX has a potentially growing market in the U.S., but I'd be very surprised if sales come anywhere near those of the Escalade. The Escalade sells mainly on its huge size, towing capacity, and sheer chrome/wood interior and exterior bling. The LX, while (admittedly) superb at what it does (and more reliable than the Escalade), just can't match that kind of bling. In fact, neither can the Escalade's own arch-competitor, the Lincoln Navigator.

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
if Lexus introduces more base model that will draw consumers into the dealerships, then it could double the sales... if it is $93k model only in showrooms like today, then it will do well for first 10-15 months and then go down again.

GX starts now at $50k, and that price gets people into showrooms where they pick mid spec or loaded models, since only 20% of sales are of base, according to Lexus... if they can create base setup for $75k, i can see some nice sales for LX.

Same goes for LC... offering only $80k model is crazy. Maybe there was a good reason for it back when Yen was really high, but now that it is low, they should be able to offer low end models.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
There are no powertrain updates for the Land Cruiser, so I assume it will be the same for the LX.

Shame. I was at least hoping for an 8AT.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
There are no powertrain updates for the Land Cruiser, so I assume it will be the same for the LX.

Shame. I was at least hoping for an 8AT.

says who? We already know LX has updated V8 with 8AT... there are scans of brochure confirming it.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree that the LX has a potentially growing market in the U.S., but I'd be very surprised if sales come anywhere near those of the Escalade. The Escalade sells mainly on its huge size, towing capacity, and sheer chrome/wood interior and exterior bling. The LX, while (admittedly) superb at what it does (and more reliable than the Escalade), just can't match that kind of bling. In fact, neither can the Escalade's own arch-competitor, the Lincoln Navigator.

I agree, the LX will never match the Escalade's sales. What I mean is that if the LX can consistently hold a fraction of Escalade sales, it would still be good. In years past, the LX has sold close to 1000 units a month in the US. I'm confident it can manage such numbers again.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
...............and Audi sells THIS.............

1567839.jpg

That's not a horrible car. It has nicer lines than the GT.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
says who? We already know LX has updated V8 with 8AT... there are scans of brochure confirming it.

Haven't seen those, but I have seen the product info for the new Land Cruiser, which does not show any powertrain upgrades.

EDIT: Just saw the LX brochure. Glad it has some updates!!

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Haven't seen those, but I have seen the product info for the new Land Cruiser, which does not show any powertrain upgrades.

EDIT: Just saw the LX brochure. Glad it has some updates!!

yep, seems they did a lot of work on it... not sure if you guys notice it on the pics, but most of the body is actually changed... maybe roof isnt, but even doors and last quarer is changed. This is biggest "facelift" Lexus has ever done in the history, far bigger than LS... basically almost like all new model

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
yep, seems they did a lot of work on it... not sure if you guys notice it on the pics, but most of the body is actually changed... maybe roof isnt, but even doors and last quarer is changed. This is biggest "facelift" Lexus has ever done in the history, far bigger than LS... basically almost like all new model

Exactly. That's why it will look totally like a redesign to consumers, and very likely that is why some Lexus insiders were confused when it was rumored a while back that the LX would be a full redesign. It looks significant enough to be a full redesign.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It also seems to be the most radical departure from the Land Cruiser that we've ever seen. I'm diggin' it!

Lexgadget

Premium Member
Reactions
On the RCVS site dated 15 September Lexus Australia is releasing the LX450d with 5 seats, 6 speed, no moonroof alongside the LX570. LX450d already released in New Zealand for $20,000 less than the petrol model.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The LX was up huge in the states last month with nearly 900 units sold. The refresh obviously has been a big hit already!