New Details on the Updated 2016 Lexus LX 570

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Carmaker1, that was incredible! Thank you!

Thank you! I unfortunately left some minor errors in there, so I hope it wasn't too muddled. I can honestly tell you, that some people expect too much out of Akio Toyoda. He doesn't have absolute reign, which explains any minor disappointments lately. Akio's final say can only go so far in some regards, is what I've learned about Toyota's internal culture and their executive board. The separation of Lexus from Toyota continues to help things much better.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I am sorry, but I personally do not agree with that. I owned a 2009 G55 AMG for 3 years and it is very much one of most composed body-on-frame SUV I've ever driven (aside from LX570 and QX56/80). My shorter Defender 90 is not even comparable, but that is very much expected of course. I am not the most aggressive driver (a little defensive though), but it holds its own very well and so does the G63 (only driven that twice).

I won't comment on your entire reply above, since you obviously put a lot of time and attention into it (and made some good points)...nice job. ;), but I just want to clarify on one point here. I'd agree the Defender doesn't have the same level of engineering a G-Wagen, particularly a G55, would,but, as you say, that would be expected considering the huge price difference. In fact, Land Rover pulled it out of the U.S. market some years ago, though there of rumors of a possible return. Second, if you are not an aggressive driver or one prone to do quick, rash, unexpected things, then, no, the chances of flipping an G-Wagen or any SUV aren't very high. Even the notoriously unstable Suzuki Samurai could generally be driven safely if no one ever yanked the steering wheel at higher speeds to, say, avoid a deer or a small child.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thank you! I unfortunately left some minor errors in there, so I hope it wasn't too muddled. I can honestly tell you, that some people expect too much out of Akio Toyoda. He doesn't have absolute reign, which explains any minor disappointments lately. Akio's final say can only go so far in some regards, is what I've learned about Toyota's internal culture and their executive board. The separation of Lexus from Toyota continues to help things much better.

Another significant question seems to be what he's going to do with Scion. On the other hand, perhaps it's good if one person doesn't get too much power in a auto corporation. I don't know if you are old enough to remember what it was like back in the 1980s and before, when Roger Smith was running GM with almost no idea of what he was doing, and King Henry Ford II ran a classic fiefdom/dictatorship at Ford. Both corporations got so screwed up that it took decades to undo the damage (and the lousy vehicles they produced), and GM eventually went bankrupt.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Heavy facelift like 3rd Generation LS. Finally now the best luxury SUV with true off-capabilities. Performance SUV is an Oxymoron.

80-img_20150615_wa0007_8af881b2ec3e5395bd51395224cdf41c42b899af.jpg

80-img_20150615_wa0003_098d01cebe5b38189a8f939fb538806d31ecf241.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Wow... looks like a pretty comprehensive update. I wonder if there are powertrain changes?

I love the current interior, but this one looks more futuristic and a bit cleaner.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Wow... looks like a pretty comprehensive update. I wonder if there are powertrain changes?

I love the current interior, but this one looks more futuristic and a bit cleaner.

I believe it receive the Land Cruiser V8 4.5 litre diesel power plant, in the form of the LX450d. I can see now, that unlike for the Land Cruiser, the Japanese magazine renders hardly told anything. Both updates are well designed and will continue to win over customers in Africa, Asia, and Australia, plus significant sales improvement.

At this stage, I wonder if a staggered release is in the cards for a 300 variants (LC300 in 2018, LX in 2019) or if the LX updates hold a different meaning than the more minimal LC200 changes?

UZJ has been very helpful in regards to all of this.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Heavy facelift like 3rd Generation LS. Finally now the best luxury SUV with true off-capabilities. Performance SUV is an Oxymoron.

80-img_20150615_wa0007_8af881b2ec3e5395bd51395224cdf41c42b899af.jpg

80-img_20150615_wa0003_098d01cebe5b38189a8f939fb538806d31ecf241.jpg

I believe you mean the 4th generation LS updates in the form of the XF40 III (MY2013-16)? Unless you reject the 1994-2000 XF20 LS400 as the second generation model? BTW, I'm not sure what performance SUVs (being an oxymoron) have to do with these wonderful photos you've provided here for us. Thanks.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I believe you mean the 4th generation LS updates in the form of the XF40 III (MY2013-16)? Unless you reject the 1994-2000 XF20 LS400 as the second generation model? BTW, I'm not sure what performance SUVs (being an oxymoron) have to do with these wonderful photos you've provided here for us. Thanks.

I meant 2nd Facelift or 3rd Version of 4th Generation LS.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I won't comment on your entire reply above, since you obviously put a lot of time and attention into it (and made some good points)...nice job. ;), but I just want to clarify on one point here. I'd agree the Defender doesn't have the same level of engineering a G-Wagen, particularly a G55, would,but, as you say, that would be expected considering the huge price difference. In fact, Land Rover pulled it out of the U.S. market some years ago, though there of rumors of a possible return. Second, if you are not an aggressive driver or one prone to do quick, rash, unexpected things, then, no, the chances of flipping an G-Wagen or any SUV aren't very high. Even the notoriously unstable Suzuki Samurai could generally be driven safely if no one ever yanked the steering wheel at higher speeds to, say, avoid a deer or a small child.

Thank you. Yes, the lack of airbags primarily made for the discontinuation of Defender in 1997 in the US market. In being very young, I saw my first Defender back in late May 1994 while visiting England. I believe it was launched in the US about a few months after that. Daimler AG ensured the W463 met those standards, when G-Class received dual airbags as standard equipment in 1996. The Defender successor is definitely planned for the US, but I will have to cut it short right there.

Another significant question seems to be what he's going to do with Scion. On the other hand, perhaps it's good if one person doesn't get too much power in a auto corporation. I don't know if you are old enough to remember what it was like back in the 1980s and before, when Roger Smith was running GM with almost no idea of what he was doing, and King Henry Ford II ran a classic fiefdom/dictatorship at Ford. Both corporations got so screwed up that it took decades to undo the damage (and the lousy vehicles they produced), and GM eventually went bankrupt.

I remember reading about how Henry Ford was rather brutally stubborn and fired Iacocca, as he felt threatened by him after an attempted overthrow. Ford held onto BOF RWD barges longer than everyone else over his conservatism, but tapped into aero design by 1979 with Philip Caldwell and helped influence a new trend in car design (rounded, no longer boxy).

I'm not too aware about Roger Smith, he stepped down shortly before I was born! I always felt GM experienced a decline sometime in the 1980s and that now explains it.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I remember reading about how Henry Ford was rather brutally stubborn and fired Iacocca, as he felt threatened by him after an attempted overthrow. Ford held onto BOF RWD barges longer than everyone else over his conservatism, but tapped into aero design by 1979 with Philip Caldwell and helped influence a new trend in car design (rounded, no longer boxy).

Henry II (Henry Ford's grandson) basically didn't treat Iacocca any different than he did anyone else in his inner circle of high execs. That was just the way he operated. He hired people, promoted them to high levels, ordered them fired on the way up if did or said something he didn't like, and, when they reached his inner circle, eventually fired everybody in that circle (making up excuses for the firing if he couldn't find a real one) to keep anyone from ultimately doing that....taking over. He "retired" when he reached Ford's mandatory retirement age of 65 (which was a law he himself had made)...but, as one would expect, stayed in the scenes, calling the shots. He died of a heart attack a few years later.

BTW, if you get the chance to read it, I strongly recommend his book..... "Iacocca". I have it myself as part of my automotive and aviation library.

51s0lbeK-xL.jpg

I'm not too aware about Roger Smith, he stepped down shortly before I was born! I always felt GM experienced a decline sometime in the 1980s and that now explains it.

Smith was a classic, Quality-be-Damned, Keep-the-Assembly-Line-Going-no-Matter-What type of guy who knew very little about cars and actually cared about them even less....his main goal was profits. He and King Henry II over at Ford were classic examples of why Detroit went down the tubes in the 1980s.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I believe it receive the Land Cruiser V8 4.5 litre diesel power plant, in the form of the LX450d.

A diesel power plant would certainly be useful in the rather large and heavy LX, not only giving a lot of torque for off-roading but also improving fuel economy somewhat.....although, of course, one does not purchase a Land Cruiser or LX and expect to get an econobox. Up till now, though, we have not gotten an LX diesel here in the U.S.....and, though I could be wrong on this, I don't think any other market has, either, though some markets have gotten a Land Cruiser turbo diesel.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Some brilliant discussion mmcartalk and Carmaker1. I can talk for days about the internal structure at Toyota, as well as what has happened historically at the company. I've been a student of the company for many years. I've spent untold amounts of time learning about little details and history of the company. Some deeper discussion wouldn't be appropriate to discuss in this thread though. I can certain continue via PMs with those who wish it :).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Some brilliant discussion mmcartalk and Carmaker1. I can talk for days about the internal structure at Toyota, as well as what has happened historically at the company. I've been a student of the company for many years. I've spent untold amounts of time learning about little details and history of the company. Some deeper discussion wouldn't be appropriate to discuss in this thread though. I can certain continue via PMs with those who wish it :).

Agreed....don't want to get too far off-topic. So...back to updates on the new LX. Like I said earlier, I think the idea of a diesel LX for the American market (whether we actually get one or not) is a good one. And how about a better paint-color choice?....though a couple of posters have pointed out that probably not enough samples are actually sold to invest in a lot of new changes.

Perhaps, with the (apparent) coming demise of the GX, the low LX sales will pick up, even with its expense.....it takes a lot of cash to buy one.

Last edited:

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Impressive makeover. Seems like a very good evolution and makes it much more elegant, especially at the back. It is now less a redesigned Toyota Landcruiser.
We don't get it here in Western Europe (apart from a few individual imported units). There could be a certain market for though... if it were available as a plug-in petrol hybrid ;)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
We don't get it here in Western Europe (apart from a few individual imported units). There could be a certain market for though... if it were available as a plug-in petrol hybrid ;)

.............or maybe a turbo diesel?

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
.............or maybe a turbo diesel?
If I am not mistaken, it will exist in diesel, but no Euro6. This would have been interesting for us a few years ago. But since we communicate purely on Lexus Hybrid Drive as the perfect diesel alternative, it would be suicidal to our image to introduce a diesel again.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What we need is v6 biturbo hybrid. best Balance between Performance and Efficiency.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
If I am not mistaken, it will exist in diesel, but no Euro6. This would have been interesting for us a few years ago. But since we communicate purely on Lexus Hybrid Drive as the perfect diesel alternative, it would be suicidal to our image to introduce a diesel again.

Yes, it would contradict that I suppose. The LX is likely not coming to Western Europe nor the UK unfortunately. I don't believe the LX450d is destined for the US and much of Europe either. It was an Australian guarantee. As much as I love our 200 LC, I would prefer an LX as the family carrier and the extra amenities. My personal cars are both Land Rovers for obvious reasons, but the LC I make use of on longer distance drives to Heathrow for guest pickups. I wish the 5.7 litre was offered, in addition to the 4.5 D4-D in the UK.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I've read this book 3 times....

51s0lbeK-xL.jpg

The thing is even with what seems to be incredible improvements, I am unsure if sales will jump since it seems most of the volume goes to the middle east. I would be utterly stunned if this sells more than 500 a month here, which would be amazing.