Model Codes

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
No personal offense, but a lot of this sounds like excuses.

If TMMF becomes too unprofitable, then Toyota will either dramatically shift production or close the plant. Nobody here said that the Yaris somehow is a big profit maker. It's well known Toyota makes little to no profit on the Yaris currently. However that's part of the problem with the current generation Yaris/Vitz; there aren't any top level trims like rally style or hot hatch variants, which would bring in a lot of profit. The only exception is the super-limited volume GRMN Yaris.

It is not excuse, it is now car business works and how it has always worked. This is why you have Mazda 2 in USA instead of Yaris Sedan.

You are looking at it from enthusiasts standpoint, who always wants something new... it is not going to happen, and it is not happening with competition either.

They have plenty of expensive versions of Yaris in Europe and they are doing extremely well with it, as sales are constantly raising.

Nevertheless, when you mention how it is delayed, lets reserve that for when Toyota has delayed model from specific time frame, and not enthusiast point of view where they have to release new car every 5-6 years.

800_toyota-yaris-grs002-v4.jpg

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Fast selling but low margin cars are not meant to be redesigned frequently. Refresh is really all it takes and 10+year product cycles are very common in these segments. There's always the argument that with TNGA being so effective at cost control, redesigning low margin cars to make their profitability better is important. However 'the enthusiast argument' completely ignored the risk involved in ramping up a completely new line with completely different supply chain and components. That's why Toyota China delayed the new Corolla Sedan in favor of a major refresh. They couldn't just assume they can build a 400k per year TNGA line and the transition will go smoothly. That's why VW kept refreshing a second-generation Jetta for two freaking decades. In these segments there is very little brand loyalty and it's all about cranking out cheap cars as quickly as possible and one fewer car produced is one more sale for the competition. I don't see why the Yaris needs such a desparate redesign just so a few enthusiasts can go rallying in an impractical subcompact hot hatch.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Fast selling but low margin cars are not meant to be redesigned frequently. Refresh is really all it takes and 10+year product cycles are very common in these segments. There's always the argument that with TNGA being so effective at cost control, redesigning low margin cars to make their profitability better is important. However 'the enthusiast argument' completely ignored the risk involved in ramping up a completely new line with completely different supply chain and components. That's why Toyota China delayed the new Corolla Sedan in favor of a major refresh. They couldn't just assume they can build a 400k per year TNGA line and the transition will go smoothly. That's why VW kept refreshing a second-generation Jetta for two freaking decades. In these segments there is very little brand loyalty and it's all about cranking out cheap cars as quickly as possible and one fewer car produced is one more sale for the competition. I don't see why the Yaris needs such a desparate redesign just so a few enthusiasts can go rallying in an impractical subcompact hot hatch.

I would add that VW Polo, most popular B class hatch in Europe also took 9 years to redesign... and Yaris is actually awesome example of Kaizen coming back - small improvements, frequently. I can only hope they will support other cars in the same way.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
On the other forum, I'm the guy that started the whole 1IS, 2GS, 5LS etc short-cut naming... it seems a lot of people do use it for ease of use but purists hate it hahahaha

There's no discernable rhyme or reason to the Toyota program codes (unlike, say, Mercedes where the W220, W221, and W222 chassis codes are right in order) so generation/model is the only way to sanely talk about these cars in my opinion.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
On the other forum, I'm the guy that started the whole 1IS, 2GS, 5LS etc short-cut naming... it seems a lot of people do use it for ease of use but purists hate it hahahaha

I totally like it and always have ever since your started it on the other forum:p...why would anyone type out first generation GS, that would take too long. We can shorten it to sec gen GS but your shorthand style makes sense with the 3GS...

Will1991

Reactions
Look at this. I wasn't sure if I should judge it for real because some of the information here is actually true regarding development but others I wasn't too sure.

https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/toyota-future-models-and-platforms_id185874.aspx

I keep reading 300km/186mi as their "long range" BEV for 2020.... As things are shaping up, for such a car to sell well it will must be very very cheap... As a "long range" as the market is looking up will be anything above 300mi not 300km in 2020!