Model Codes

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I have rather been selfish about this info, bur I think I need to keep us all up-to-date, to be able to do or further execute our own research on new model programs. Unlike Mercedes-Benz, Toyota is a master of disguise with how they organize development codes and many of them are re-used deliberately to throw off people like me, who go digging investigatively. This will be updated frequently

1. Lexus LS (XF50) - Developed under 200B from December 2011 to 2017.
    1. 4LS (XF40)-Developed under 250L from 2001 to 2006.
  2. Lexus ES (XV70)-Developed under 240B from 2013 to 2018, TMMK USDM version is called 241B
    1. 5ES (XV60)-Developed under 980L from 2007 to January 2012.
  3. Lexus RX (AL20)-Developed under 740A from 2010 to 2015. N. Amer version is 760A. RX200t is 751A.
    1. Next RX is allegedly 760X, but take that with a grain of salt.
  4. Lexus LC (Z100)- Developed under 950A from 2011 to August 2016.
  5. Lexus NX (AZ10)-Developed under 600A from June 2009 to January 2014. Hybrid is 610A
    1. Next NX is 600x due in 2020.
  6. Lexus RC (XC10)-Developed under 720A from 2010 to February 2014.
  7. Lexus LX (J200)-Developed under 220L from January 2002 to March 2007
    1. Next LX is 220X
  8. Lexus GS (L10)-Developed under 920L from June 2007 to June 2011.
    1. Cancelled GS program was 300B
  9. Lexus UX (???)-Developed under 100B from 2013 to 2018.
  10. Lexus IS and RC (720A, once 777L for RC-F)
  11. Unknown models are 685B and 774B
More to come, please let me edit this later on mods. Thanks.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I love that you're doing this, and it filled one blank in my information (the Program Code for 4LX). Just as your Lexus Development Stories, I have an ongoing draft for a yet-to-be-published Kaizen Factor story titled TNGA 101, which builds heavily on the info you've posted here. This is a good a place as any to ask a few questions and veer off into Toyota territory as well.

- Have 2nd-gen RC, LQ and 3rd-gen GX been assigned Program Codes yet? if so, what are they?

- You have variously referred to 4th-gen Sienna as Program code 500N or 580X. Which is correct?

- What is happening with TNGA-B, which will presumably launch the 4th-gen Euro Yaris / Japanese Vitz? The second facelift for the 2018 model year seems like an obvious attempt to mask a delay for the TNGA-B launch. I know that you don't delve too deeply into the smaller Toyota platforms, but am still curious if you have any insights or info. Also, will we see a consolidation of the myriad unrelated Yaris-badged cars sold internationally. just as TNGA Camrys and Corollas are being made more uniform around the world?

- I know that the Toyota Group's smallest new-generation platform is DNGA (Daihatsu New Global Architecture) for the Japanese market's kei cars but stretchable to 1-liter cars such as the Toyota Roomy/Tank. Recently, though, I saw a reference to a future TNGA-A. Is that and DNGA one and the same? Or are they two separate architectures?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Thanks Joaquin.

Yes, the LQ model code is 650B.

I am not convinced the RC will get a second generation and due to the demise of the GS, it might be absorbed into the IS family as "IC" or barely entered development, at which point I need another year to find out. If redesigned as the RC, expect a MY 2023 redesign at earliest. Unlike the GX, it requires less time. Four years from 2018 to 2022 will be how long it would take to be developed. 4IS will run about 2015 to 2019/20 in total.

GX is the only one I do not have, as they barely started development on it as well. The GX facelift is so significant, that it likely warranted undivided attention (until latter phase of development). Window of time for GX redesign is Autumn 2022 to Q1 2024 to be honest. The amount of changes can last 4 years easily from August 2019 to late 2023. That is just to give an idea, of how they barely are touching it.

Highlander code is solidly 550B. This is based on internal Toyota information and no longer just industry access info. Sienna is 500B. They are very close in being GA-K based FWD, so not surprised lol with near identical codes. The old codes were industry access sourced and from late 2016-early 2017.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Thanks for the updates and additional info.

The GX facelift is so significant, that it likely warranted undivided attention (until latter phase of development)... The amount of changes can last 4 years easily from August 2019 to late 2023. That is just to give an idea, of how they barely are touching it.
I'm getting mixed messages here. Is the upcoming MY 2020 GX facelift a significant one (akin to the 2013 major facelift for 4LS) to tide it over until as late as the 1st quarter of 2024? Or are they "barely touching it" as in a light refresh in spite of how long it'll be before we see 3GX?

Also, no commentary on DNGA, TNGA-A or TNGA-B. No info on those? Or are they simply not on your radar since your work is primarily in the luxury segment?

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
From what Carmaker1 has mentioned, and from other rumors I have heard from different places, the GX refresh is supposed to be fairly significant. This is why some have incorrectly been saying that a GX "redesign" is happening soon. Personally I think the refresh is going to be roughly as significant as the 2013 LS and 2016 LX refreshes. I remember the moment when Toyota years ago in some press release said they were mainly trying to move away from small refreshes happening often, to larger refreshes less often. They haven't stuck to this 100%, but in the Akio Toyoda era we've seen major refreshes of the 2011 Avalon, the 2013 LS, the 2014 Tundra, the 2015 Camry, and the 2016 LX. Some refreshes like the 2015 Sienna have straddled the line between minor and major. The 2015 Sienna refresh saw a major interior revamp, and some structural enhancements but only very minor exterior changes.

Also I do not have any direct information, but this is simply an educated guess on TNGA-A. From the vague information I've come across it may be the same situation as TNGA-L and TNGA-N are, as to what TNGA-A and DNGA are to each other. So in other words, I believe TNGA-A and DNGA are either exactly the same platform (with the only difference being the nomenclature) or there are simply some slight differences between the two platforms. However logically, one of the key principles of TNGA is to do away with different platforms with slight differences, to reduce complexity and cost and increase efficiency. So I currently lean towards TNGA-A and DNGA being functionally identical, barring more information.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
From what Carmaker1 has mentioned, and from other rumors I have heard from different places, the GX refresh is supposed to be fairly significant. This is why some have incorrectly been saying that a GX "redesign" is happening soon. Personally I think the refresh is going to be roughly as significant as the 2013 LS and 2016 LX refreshes. I remember the moment when Toyota years ago in some press release said they were mainly trying to move away from small refreshes happening often, to larger refreshes less often. They haven't stuck to this 100%, but in the Akio Toyoda era we've seen major refreshes of the 2011 Avalon, the 2013 LS, the 2014 Tundra, the 2015 Camry, and the 2016 LX. Some refreshes like the 2015 Sienna have straddled the line between minor and major. The 2015 Sienna refresh saw a major interior revamp, and some structural enhancements but only very minor exterior changes.
Excellent and very valid observations. I'll throw in one more: the 2016 (3rd-gen) Tacoma, in a number of ways, feels more like a super-major refresh on the 2nd-gen than something truly all-new. Perhaps one more attempt to mask the endless delays in implementing TNGA-F?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Excellent and very valid observations. I'll throw in one more: the 2016 (3rd-gen) Tacoma, in a number of ways, feels more like a super-major refresh on the 2nd-gen than something truly all-new. Perhaps one more attempt to mask the endless delays in implementing TNGA-F?

Thank you. I omitted the 3rd gen Tacoma on purpose as Toyota classifies that as a brand new generation, even though I agree with you that the 3rd gen Tacoma is essentially a major refresh and not a truly new generation.

Also I have a hypothesis I forgot to mention that I have regarding TNGA-B. There have been rumors that Toyota was having a bit of trouble getting the platform structure up to their standards for TNGA-B. That may be true and have a role to play, but my hypothesis is also that it may be delayed due to insights and knowledge being actively learned as we speak from the WRC Yaris. Remember it's been a long time since Toyota was officially away from the WRC. They have participated in other rallies since then, but have been away from the top level of rally racing with WRC. So since this is only the 2nd year of Toyota being back in WRC since the 1990s, I believe a huge amount of insights are being learned and are actively being applied to TNGA-B development. So in that sense, I predict that the overdue next generation of the Yaris will be a huge leap forward. Another reason for the delay could be that Toyota wants to introduce more variants of the next-generation Yaris, like a high power rally-style Yaris trim to do battle with the top rally-style trims from competitors in the segment. There may be delays in terms of the new production technology required for a variant like this. The WRC Yaris itself has a lot of trick technology.

Edit: I personally have been longing for many years now for a high power rally style trim of either the Yaris or Corolla. I'm personally tired of seeing so much hype and adulation being given to products like the Focus ST, Focus RS, and Fiesta ST while Toyota has nothing to compete with in that segment globally. While yes the Yaris GRMN does exist, it is a super limited model that is not available in most markets in the world.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Also I have a hypothesis I forgot to mention that I have regarding TNGA-B. There have been rumors that Toyota was having a bit of trouble getting the platform structure up to their standards for TNGA-B. That may be true and have a role to play, but my hypothesis is also that it may be delayed due to insights and knowledge being actively learned as we speak from the WRC Yaris. Remember it's been a long time since Toyota was officially away from the WRC. They have participated in other rallies since then, but have been away from the top level of rally racing with WRC. So since this is only the 2nd year of Toyota being back in WRC since the 1990s, I believe a huge amount of insights are being learned and are actively being applied to TNGA-B development. So in that sense, I predict that the overdue next generation of the Yaris will be a huge leap forward. Another reason for the delay could be that Toyota wants to introduce more variants of the next-generation Yaris, like a high power rally-style Yaris trim to do battle with the top rally-style trims from competitors in the segment. There may be delays in terms of the new production technology required for these variants. The WRC Yaris itself has a lot of trick technology.

This makes all the sense in the world.

I clearly recall my confusion in the runup to and even after the WRC Yaris was unveiled. It looked like the current, already due for replacement Euro Yaris, except that the taillights are larger and different. And why give it the old bodywork when a new one was (I thought) around the corner. Soon enough, the picture became clear when the Euro Yaris / Vitz became another in the ever-longer line of Toyotas with lengthened life cycles via a second facelift / refresh. Your hypothesis is very valid.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
This makes all the sense in the world.

I clearly recall my confusion in the runup to and even after the WRC Yaris was unveiled. It looked like the current, already due for replacement Euro Yaris, except that the taillights are larger and different. And why give it the old bodywork when a new one was (I thought) around the corner. Soon enough, the picture became clear when the Euro Yaris / Vitz became another in the ever-longer line of Toyotas with lengthened life cycles via a second facelift / refresh. Your hypothesis is very valid.

Let me also add that the timelines for the next-gen Yaris seem very muddled. So far some information says 2020 or 2021 while earlier rumors mentioned 2019, so it seems unclear at this point. If TNGA-B is not 100% ready yet (or was not 100% ready last year) then I also believe that in addition to my hypothesis about the WRC Yaris, Toyota is actively applying insights and knowledge learned from last year's European leg of the Five Continents Drive to TNGA-B.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
- What is happening with TNGA-B, which will presumably launch the 4th-gen Euro Yaris / Japanese Vitz? The second facelift for the 2018 model year seems like an obvious attempt to mask a delay for the TNGA-B launch. I know that you don't delve too deeply into the smaller Toyota platforms, but am still curious if you have any insights or info. Also, will we see a consolidation of the myriad unrelated Yaris-badged cars sold internationally. just as TNGA Camrys and Corollas are being made more uniform around the world?

MY19 Yaris is just a spec update (colors, etc)... Yaris is their best seller in the region, so they have to update it constantly to keep it up on top. They would not update it to "mask" the delay, but rather to keep the sales up and incentives down :p

You guys know how much I like talk about "delays".

When it comes to release dates, we can always follow the investment trail... in this case, Toyota announced in January €300m investment into Valenciennes factory and 700 new hires by the 2020.

Agreement for the future
Last July, the Japanese automaker signed an agreement with labor providing for more flexible working hours, with 300 new employees hired on permanent contracts from September 2017 to September 2019. This “agreement for the future” aimed to expand the Hauts-de-France site’s production capacity and enable it to manufacture a second car model.

€300 million investment
Faced with competition from other Toyota plants around the world, the Valenciennes site is poised to manufacture the new vehicle starting in 2020.

The plant will use the €300 million investment—supplemented by €11 million from the Hauts-de-France region and €4 million from the Valenciennes urban council—to set up its new manufacturing lines. Once operating at full capacity, it will produce 300,000 vehicles a year, up from 230,000 at present. To accompany the surge in production, the group has announced that it will launch a recruitment campaign in 2020, aiming to hire 400 new permanent employees and raise the total number of jobs to 700.

http://www.nordfranceinvest.com/news/detail/toyota-valenciennes-EUR300m-investment-and-700-jobs.html

- I would guess TNGA platform by September 2019.
- Brand new vehicle by the end of 2020.

Toyota sold 209k Yaris's in Europe in 2017 and they are raising the capacity to 300k. So new model will be 50-70k per year, which is not a lot... small cuv likely.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So 2020 unveiling likely for next-gen Yaris, with on-sale date around end of 2020 or more likely 2021 (barring delays). So essentially what that latest rumors are saying.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So 2020 unveiling likely for next-gen Yaris, with on-sale date around end of 2020 or more likely 2021 (barring delays). So essentially what that latest rumors are saying.

No. If they are ramping up production of Yaris until September 2019, then it will start sales soon after... It means unveil in early 2019, or even at Tokyo... because lately they have been unveiling all of their cars too early.

If you compare it to Rav4, to get same delay between introduction and production, Yaris would be introduced at Tokyo or Geneva.

I am sure TMME does not like this new TMC policy of unveiling early to appease investors, as TMME publishes European specs at least 3 months after Toyota USA does. For instance we still dont have equipment specifications for Rav4, unlike US.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
From what Carmaker1 has mentioned, and from other rumors I have heard from different places, the GX refresh is supposed to be fairly significant. This is why some have incorrectly been saying that a GX "redesign" is happening soon.

marketing speak will certainly be all-new, but Toyota will call it MMC engineering wise.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
no. If they are ramping up production of Yaris until September 2019, then it will start sales soon after... It means unveil in early 2019, or even at Tokyo... because lately they have been unveiling all of their cars too early.

If you compare it to Rav4, to get same delay between introduction and production, Yaris would be introduced at Tokyo or Geneva.

I am sure TMME does not like this new TMC policy of unveiling early to appease investors, as TMME publishes European specs at least 3 months after Toyota USA does. For instance we still dont have equipment specifications for Rav4, unlike US.

We'll see. The most reliable rumors out of Japan right now are saying it will be unveiled shortly before the 2020 Japan Olympics.

For it to go on sale end of 2019, that means it needs to be unveiled within the next 6 months or so. That means we should have seen prototypes out in public by now doing testing.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
We'll see. The most reliable rumors out of Japan right now are saying it will be unveiled shortly before the 2020 Japan Olympics.

For it to go on sale end of 2019, that means it needs to be unveiled within the next 6 months or so. That means we should have seen prototypes out in public by now doing testing.

yep... always follow the money, they can't convert factory into TNGA and then not produce the car :p

And yes, Best Car had a lot of new info on new Yaris in June, about time I went on vacation so I did not post anything.

Here is the article:
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/newcar/2864

%E6%96%B0%E5%9E%8B%E3%83%A4%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9R.jpg

- 1.0, 1.3 and 1.5l new 3cyl engines
- 1.6l turbo 3cyl for GR versions
- Yaris name worldwide
- 1.5 hybrid with awd option like Prius

The sports model's GR is equipped with a 1.6 l three-cylinder turbo. There is information that transmission is combined with 6-speed MT, and newly developed high-power compatible AT.

For debut, the standard model is expected to be the end of 2019, GR to be delayed by about 1 year to 2020. In addition, the sports model is also planning a GRMN model that expands the tuning range to the engine and can enjoy more extreme running, so this is also expected.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Also, will we see a consolidation of the myriad unrelated Yaris-badged cars sold internationally. just as TNGA Camrys and Corollas are being made more uniform around the world?
To elaborate on this, Toyota is currently in the process of replacing its multiple Corollas on different architectures (E160 narrow JDM Axio/Fielder on B platform, E170 wide "international" Corolla/Axio/Auris on New MC platform) with a single TNGA-C Corolla with less market-to-market variation.

If Toyota has a similar plan for Yaris, the task is even more daunting, since we're talking about consolidating XP130 Euro Yaris /Japan Vitz (launched in 2011 on B platform), XP150 Asia/Latin America Yaris (launched in 2013 on simplified B platform) and North America Yaris sedan (launched in 2015 on Mazda DJ platform). Depending on the extent of their consolidation, it may provide a second hypothesis behind the delayed TNGA-B Yaris launch (and one that does not negate CIF's, but simply adds another reason for the delays).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
it may provide a second hypothesis behind the delayed TNGA-B Yaris launch (and one that does not negate CIF's, but simply adds another reason for the delays).

i will keep repeating this, but I dont see any evidence of TNGA-B being delayed... is it delayed because we wanted it out sooner? I dont see any evidence of Yaris being scheduled to arrive sooner.

Unfortunately these small models are not profitable for Toyota, for TMME has pretty low profitability since it is tasked with producing Aygo, Yaris, Auris, Verso, Avensis and recently C-HR... i think only C-HR is profitable one here. All the money making models like Rav4 and Land Cruisers are produced in Japan, hence huge profitability of Japanese operations.

So what they have to do is extend the model cycle to recoup the investment costs. This actually might work all right with Yaris, but due to Avensis and Verso being so old, it likely has led to their factory underutilization and hence high costs. Hence low profitability of TMME, at the time of record sales.

It is not hard to track for models produced in Europe and NA, since local governments give them incentives for investments in factory needed for new model, and they wont do that without press.

As to the name, I think it mainly refers to Vitz being called Yaris in the future. Not sure that it will follow Corolla into using exactly the same platform worldwide.

Also, when it comes to the TNGA difficulties, Kentucky has had issue with ramping up production... it was well documented in media, when Toyota was not satisfied with TMMK plant vs Japanese TNGA plants, but it seems that those issues are solved these days. There were few posters around forums also mentioning the issues, not too specific though about what exactly is the problem.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
i will keep repeating this, but I dont see any evidence of TNGA-B being delayed... is it delayed because we wanted it out sooner? I dont see any evidence of Yaris being scheduled to arrive sooner.
OK, we can rephrase that to say that the current Yaris is on a longer-than-average cycle (average or typical being 6 years with a single refresh after the third year).

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Unfortunately these small models are not profitable for Toyota, for TMME has pretty low profitability since it is tasked with producing Aygo, Yaris, Auris, Verso, Avensis and recently C-HR... i think only C-HR is profitable one here. All the money making models like Rav4 and Land Cruisers are produced in Japan, hence huge profitability of Japanese operations.

So what they have to do is extend the model cycle to recoup the investment costs. This actually might work all right with Yaris, but due to Avensis and Verso being so old, it likely has led to their factory underutilization and hence high costs. Hence low profitability of TMME, at the time of record sales.

It is not hard to track for models produced in Europe and NA, since local governments give them incentives for investments in factory needed for new model, and they wont do that without press.

As to the name, I think it mainly refers to Vitz being called Yaris in the future. Not sure that it will follow Corolla into using exactly the same platform worldwide.

Also, when it comes to the TNGA difficulties, Kentucky has had issue with ramping up production... it was well documented in media, when Toyota was not satisfied with TMMK plant vs Japanese TNGA plants, but it seems that those issues are solved these days. There were few posters around forums also mentioning the issues, not too specific though about what exactly is the problem.

No personal offense, but a lot of this sounds like excuses.

If TMMF becomes too unprofitable, then Toyota will either dramatically shift production or close the plant. Nobody here said that the Yaris somehow is a big profit maker. It's well known Toyota makes little to no profit on the Yaris currently. However that's part of the problem with the current generation Yaris/Vitz; there aren't any top level trims like rally style or hot hatch variants, which would bring in a lot of profit. The only exception is the super-limited volume GRMN Yaris.

Also another problem as mentioned by Joaquin Ruhi is that currently there are too many Yaris/Vitz/Vios variants scattered across world markets. Consolidation will definitely happen under TNGA, and that should reduce costs and improve the overall profitability situation. Also if Toyota is smart and offers rally style or hot hatch variants in decent volume and in most world markets (unlike the GRMN Yaris), then that will also help with not only profitability but the reputation for the Yaris as those will be halo products, similar to products like the Focus ST, Focus RS, Fiesta ST, etc.

For example, here in North America it's well known the market keeps moving to CUVs, SUVs, and trucks mostly while car sales keep falling. However hot hatch or rally style models like the WRX STi and Focus RS are quite popular, especially here in Canada for their AWD capability. Just ask Subaru and Ford how much profit those top level hot hatch or rally style trims are bringing in. They're priced fairly high, yet remain popular in this CUV and SUV heavy market.