MM Full-Review: 2016 Lincoln MKX

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Not sure how I missed pricing. 47k base is nuts and 61k is just ridiculous. Now it is entirely plausible even if they sell less volume the car is profitable for Ford due to transaction pricing. I have no clue. Just seeing 61k makes me scratch my head.

I reviewed one of the most expensive and well-equipped versions possible (and which I agree cost too much). Most MKXs start off in the low 40s. Here's the base price range from the factory, which runs from 38 to 43K. With these, I don't think you will need to scratch your head as much.;)

http://bp3.lincoln.com/2016-Lincoln-MKXBase?branding=2#/Models/

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, of course. ;) But, to be honest, I thought that sales of the last-generation MKX deserved to be poor. I found it very unimpressive...an extreme case of rebadging that was little more than an Edge with some nicer leather and more wood tone trim. I'm aware that you're not quite as impressed with the new one as I am (and I respect your opinion)....but I found the new one head and shoulders above the old one in almost every way.....more or less like the huge advancement of the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee redesign.

Old MKX is history and a flop not worth dwelling on here. "Deserving" isn't what counts, sales results do count.

Since you are talking about Jeep Grand Cherokee, the new Ford Edge can also be condidered to be "head and shoulders" (like this is some kind of shampoo ad) above previous gen Edge.

More on topic is the frumpy MKX being sold (sharing) in same regular Ford showroom as more attractively-styled Edge with $10K price difference, that's a challenge/problem of their own making.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Old MKX is history and a flop not worth dwelling on here.

I disagree on that one. It IS worth at least a mention, if not dwelling on. Most auto reviewers typically compare the new product to the old if it is a major redesign, as in this case. And as long as I review vehicles, I'm going to continue to mention the comparison if I think it is relevant. And, of course, if you do any reviews of your own, you are free to write them up (or, as in this case, expound upon them), as YOU see fit.;)

"Deserving" isn't what counts, sales results do count.

And where do a lot of sales come from? Potential car-buyers deciding that a vehicle is deserving of them parting with their money from it.

Since you are talking about Jeep Grand Cherokee, the new Ford Edge can also be condidered to be "head and shoulders" (like this is some kind of shampoo ad) above previous gen Edge.

Perhaps so. I haven't reviewed a new Edge, and can't directly comment. But if Ford produces it as a less-expensive, decontented version of this new MKX, then I agree it is likely to be a major improvement.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I disagree on that one. It IS worth at least a mention, if not dwelling on. Most auto reviewers typically compare the new product to the old if it is a major redesign, as in this case. And as long as I review vehicles, I'm going to continue to mention the comparison if I think it is relevant. And, of course, if you do any reviews of your own, you are free to write them up (or, as in this case, expound upon them), as YOU see fit.;)

Please feel free to continue to dwell and expound on the past even if offtopic often, as YOU see fit, it's largely expected, no problem.;)

Oh yes, the topic was the new MKX if I remember correctly, thank you, yawn. Yes, several published professional reviews are reporting new Edge also to be nicely improved too.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Car and Driver, BTW, did what IMO is a pretty decent write-up here. They did a good job of noting the general strengths and weakness......and, like some of the posters here, seemed concerned about the 60K price of top-dog versions.

http://www.caranddriver.com/lincoln/mkx

The MKX pairs stylish sheetmetal with high levels of standard features to help set it apart from the crossover crowd. Underneath, however, it’s basically a Ford Edge. A 303-hp 3.7-liter V-6 is standard, while an optional twin-turbo 2.7-liter V-6 makes 335 hp. Both powertrains offer a six-speed automatic with front-wheel drive; all-wheel drive is optional. On the interior, the MKX is loaded with luxury, including supple leather seats and an optional 19-speaker Revel audio system.

The list of available equipment is lengthy. A panoramic sunroof extends over both rows of seating, but only the seats up front can massage their occupants—their backs as well as thighs and gluteus maximus. Upgrading the wheels and tires past the stock 18-inchers means jumping to 20- or 21-inch sizes, while a towing package ($645) allows the MKX to pull up to 3500 pounds. As they do on most luxury cars today, sensors and cameras proliferate, allowing the MKX to adjust its cruise-control speed automatically, park itself in both parallel and perpendicular spots, steer itself back into the lane if you start to drift over the yellow line, and provide a 360-degree view around the vehicle when you’re backing up.

What’s not on the order sheet, however, is more significant: Ford’s updated version of its infotainment system, which now is called Sync 3. The MKX, like the Edge, must make do for now with the older Sync technology and its fiddly MyLincoln Touch interface. Lincoln ditched touch-capacitive controls for physical buttons with the introduction of the MKC, an arrangement that is thankfully reproduced here. But without the new infotainment hardware, which comes to the MKC for 2016, the MKX will not support Apple’s CarPlay or Android Auto features. Considering the importance of these features among many car shoppers, this seems like an unfortunate oversight, especially given how extensively Lincoln has otherwise outfitted the MKX.

for 2007 and was refreshed for 2011. Certainly the latest version’s swoopy lines and beefy rear haunches distinguish it from the Edge more. The MKX cockpit feels tighter than the Ford’s, which it is, with less headroom and shoulder room.

Yet the MKX is more quiet and comfortable, and the optional 22-way adjustable massaging seats ($1500) are worthy of being included with those from Lexus and Volvo, the best in the business. The turbo 2.7-liter is nearly silent while cruising, and even at full throttle it barely raises its voice as it propels the MKX with authority. It would be an ideal environment for enjoying the expensive Revel Ultima audio system (part of a $4400 luxury package) if its 19 speakers didn’t distort the tonal balance of the music in favor of a punchy sound that rattles the door panels.

The suspension swallows bumps in a single compression and maintains good body control even against a stated curb weight of more than 4000 pounds. The electrically assisted steering, like that of most Ford products, is linear and precise, with appropriately isolated feedback. Sport mode stiffens things up nicely and makes the steering heavier, but it doesn’t move the suspension too far toward firm as in the MKZ. In Comfort mode the MKX rides softly enough to satisfy those Lexus refugees that Lincoln hopes will flee ahead of the pending 2016 redesign that gives the Japanese company’s RX yet another of the industry’s all-too-common angry robot faces.

It is obvious that the RX was Lincoln’s mark in redesigning the MKX, which is now longer and has a larger, fully carpeted cargo hold, better matching the competition. Interior appointments are much improved, especially in the higher-spec models that use open-pore wood trim. Where the Lincoln continues to fall short is in the plasticky center dash stack and console, which is too similar to those in other, less-expensive Lincoln models. The flimsy cover to the forward storage compartment says that the company still hasn’t grasped how much touch points matter to luxury buyers. The plainness of the plastic transmission push buttons introduced on the MKZ and reused here is still a missed opportunity for the designers to make an everyday action more of an event through fancier switchgear.

While the MKX has been pleasantly redesigned, it’s hard to justify a $60,000-plus price tag like that affixed to the vehicle we drove. So the real problem with the MKX is no longer differentiation with the Edge but proving out its own luxury mettle. If we decide to agree that Ford has mastered platform sharing like Volkswagen, the company still has some way to go in building luxury vehicles that are competitive with Audi’s.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Nice concise write up by C&D, thanks I remember reading it last month. It provides a balanced perspective based on knowledge of marketplace on MKX strengths and challenges in lux market. I expect C&D to provide full instrumented test soon enough.

MM - You mentioned something along lines "of course, if you do any reviews of your own, you are free to write them up (or, as in this case, expound upon them), and this is a great example of why I (me specifically) don't write them up with just another redundant amateurish short test drive review, when something is readily available that gets to the key points as is the case with this article. And I expect the C&D to back it up with a full review after extensive driving/mileage in both regular street and track environments with accurate instrumented testing and specifications soon enough. I drive too many cars to write about in depth and have better things to do fortunately. But like all of us here I do enjoy the automotive experiences. :) Yep, I expounded, guilty as charged, jk. :D The expounder, just keeping it real...:D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
^ Nice concise write up by C&D, thanks I remember reading it last month. It provides a balanced perspective based on knowledge of marketplace on MKX strengths and challenges in lux market. I expect C&D to provide full instrumented test soon enough.

MM - You mentioned something along lines "of course, if you do any reviews of your own, you are free to write them up (or, as in this case, expound upon them), and this is a great example of why I (me specifically) don't write them up with just another redundant amateurish short test drive review, when something is readily available that gets to the key points as is the case with this article. And I expect the C&D to back it up with a full review after extensive driving/mileage in both regular street and track environments with accurate instrumented testing and specifications soon enough. I drive too many cars to write about in depth and have better things to do fortunately. But like all of us here I do enjoy the automotive experiences. :) Yep, I expounded, guilty as charged, jk. :D The expounder, just keeping it real...:D

Your choice....and your call. Do whatever you feel you need to, not need to, want to, or get a chance to. Share it with us if you want. :)

I get personal requests for many (not all) of my reviews, both on and off-forum, though not as many now as in the past.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, of course. ;) But, to be honest, I thought that sales of the last-generation MKX deserved to be poor. I found it very unimpressive...an extreme case of rebadging that was little more than an Edge with some nicer leather and more wood tone trim. I'm aware that you're not quite as impressed with the new one as I am (and I respect your opinion)....but I found the new one head and shoulders above the old one in almost every way.....more or less like the huge advancement of the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee redesign.

A huge advancement from a very poor baseline still only results in good enough IMO ;).

In the luxury segment, for many people including myself, "good enough" just isn't well... good enough :D.

Not sure how I missed pricing. 47k base is nuts and 61k is just ridiculous. Now it is entirely plausible even if they sell less volume the car is profitable for Ford due to transaction pricing. I have no clue. Just seeing 61k makes me scratch my head.

Well according to Lincoln's website, base price is 38K, but your point remains :).

Car and Driver, BTW, did what IMO is a pretty decent write-up here. They did a good job of noting the general strengths and weakness......and, like some of the posters here, seemed concerned about the 60K price of top-dog versions.

http://www.caranddriver.com/lincoln/mkx

The MKX pairs stylish sheetmetal with high levels of standard features to help set it apart from the crossover crowd. Underneath, however, it’s basically a Ford Edge. A 303-hp 3.7-liter V-6 is standard, while an optional twin-turbo 2.7-liter V-6 makes 335 hp. Both powertrains offer a six-speed automatic with front-wheel drive; all-wheel drive is optional. On the interior, the MKX is loaded with luxury, including supple leather seats and an optional 19-speaker Revel audio system.

The list of available equipment is lengthy. A panoramic sunroof extends over both rows of seating, but only the seats up front can massage their occupants—their backs as well as thighs and gluteus maximus. Upgrading the wheels and tires past the stock 18-inchers means jumping to 20- or 21-inch sizes, while a towing package ($645) allows the MKX to pull up to 3500 pounds. As they do on most luxury cars today, sensors and cameras proliferate, allowing the MKX to adjust its cruise-control speed automatically, park itself in both parallel and perpendicular spots, steer itself back into the lane if you start to drift over the yellow line, and provide a 360-degree view around the vehicle when you’re backing up.

What’s not on the order sheet, however, is more significant: Ford’s updated version of its infotainment system, which now is called Sync 3. The MKX, like the Edge, must make do for now with the older Sync technology and its fiddly MyLincoln Touch interface. Lincoln ditched touch-capacitive controls for physical buttons with the introduction of the MKC, an arrangement that is thankfully reproduced here. But without the new infotainment hardware, which comes to the MKC for 2016, the MKX will not support Apple’s CarPlay or Android Auto features. Considering the importance of these features among many car shoppers, this seems like an unfortunate oversight, especially given how extensively Lincoln has otherwise outfitted the MKX.

for 2007 and was refreshed for 2011. Certainly the latest version’s swoopy lines and beefy rear haunches distinguish it from the Edge more. The MKX cockpit feels tighter than the Ford’s, which it is, with less headroom and shoulder room.

Yet the MKX is more quiet and comfortable, and the optional 22-way adjustable massaging seats ($1500) are worthy of being included with those from Lexus and Volvo, the best in the business. The turbo 2.7-liter is nearly silent while cruising, and even at full throttle it barely raises its voice as it propels the MKX with authority. It would be an ideal environment for enjoying the expensive Revel Ultima audio system (part of a $4400 luxury package) if its 19 speakers didn’t distort the tonal balance of the music in favor of a punchy sound that rattles the door panels.

The suspension swallows bumps in a single compression and maintains good body control even against a stated curb weight of more than 4000 pounds. The electrically assisted steering, like that of most Ford products, is linear and precise, with appropriately isolated feedback. Sport mode stiffens things up nicely and makes the steering heavier, but it doesn’t move the suspension too far toward firm as in the MKZ. In Comfort mode the MKX rides softly enough to satisfy those Lexus refugees that Lincoln hopes will flee ahead of the pending 2016 redesign that gives the Japanese company’s RX yet another of the industry’s all-too-common angry robot faces.

It is obvious that the RX was Lincoln’s mark in redesigning the MKX, which is now longer and has a larger, fully carpeted cargo hold, better matching the competition. Interior appointments are much improved, especially in the higher-spec models that use open-pore wood trim. Where the Lincoln continues to fall short is in the plasticky center dash stack and console, which is too similar to those in other, less-expensive Lincoln models. The flimsy cover to the forward storage compartment says that the company still hasn’t grasped how much touch points matter to luxury buyers. The plainness of the plastic transmission push buttons introduced on the MKZ and reused here is still a missed opportunity for the designers to make an everyday action more of an event through fancier switchgear.

While the MKX has been pleasantly redesigned, it’s hard to justify a $60,000-plus price tag like that affixed to the vehicle we drove. So the real problem with the MKX is no longer differentiation with the Edge but proving out its own luxury mettle. If we decide to agree that Ford has mastered platform sharing like Volkswagen, the company still has some way to go in building luxury vehicles that are competitive with Audi’s.

Thanks for reposting that section from C&D, without me having to click on a link to their page.

Also thanks for reminding me why I don't read most auto mags anymore, sigh.
It really irks me that they couldn't resist taking a specific jab against Lexus, in an article that has nothing to do with a Lexus product.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for reposting that section from C&D, without me having to click on a link to their page.

Did I post that article without a link? I'm pretty sure I did post the link, but, if I forgot, my apologies to you (and to other readers)........and thanks for adding it. :)

Also thanks for reminding me why I don't read most auto mags anymore, sigh.

It really irks me that they couldn't resist taking a specific jab against Lexus, in an article that has nothing to do with a Lexus product.

I didn't see that big a jab at Lexus, except for one isolated comment about the spindle-grilles. Those spindle grilles have been quite controversial.....some like them, some don't.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Wow optional 22 way massage seats for $1500.
Yes, they adjust every way from Sunday, and are well-shaped for my own large frame, but the padding could of, at least to my tastes, been a little softer..........maybe I'm just too used to cushy Buick seats now.;):D

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Did I post that article without a link? I'm pretty sure I did post the link, but, if I forgot, my apologies to you (and to other readers)........and thanks for adding it. :)

I didn't see that big a jab at Lexus, except for one isolated comment about the spindle-grilles. Those spindle grilles have been quite controversial.....some like them, some don't.

You misunderstood. You already had the link. What I meant was I am averse to reading most auto mags, so I was glad to have had your paraphrase/repost the C&D blurb, versus having to read it on their site.

The jab is right in the blurb you posted from C&D:

In Comfort mode the MKX rides softly enough to satisfy those Lexus refugees that Lincoln hopes will flee ahead of the pending 2016 redesign that gives the Japanese company’s RX yet another of the industry’s all-too-common angry robot faces.

If that's not a Lexus jab, I don't know what is. They claim "angry robot faces are all-too-common", yet they only pick on Lexus, and do not mention any other brands. There's a very convincing argument that Acura deserves this description more than Lexus. Of course because it is well known among many enthusiasts that Honda/Acura products are typically beloved at C&D, they of course seem to get a pass on most criticism.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You misunderstood. You already had the link. What I meant was I am averse to reading most auto mags, so I was glad to have had your paraphrase/repost the C&D blurb, versus having to read it on their site.

The jab is right in the blurb you posted from C&D:

If that's not a Lexus jab, I don't know what is. They claim "angry robot faces are all-too-common", yet they only pick on Lexus, and do not mention any other brands. There's a very convincing argument that Acura deserves this description more than Lexus. Of course because it is well known among many enthusiasts that Honda/Acura products are typically beloved at C&D, they of course seem to get a pass on most criticism.

Seems to be more of a jab at the spindle grilles than the Lexus brand itself. I'm not wild about the spindle grilles myself, but don't usually list it as a complaint on Lexus reviews or discussion because, of course, things like that are generally subjective. And, yes, I agree that other automakers also have their share of (IMO) garish or silly-looking grilles.....Audi, Acura, past-generation Lincolns, Buick, Cadillac, etc.....

As far as C&D being in love with BMW and Honda/Acura products, I think that was more the case in the past than now. BMW's recent changes to their chassis and power-steering have alienated a lot of former supporters (including them), and, though they still seem to like Honda products, they also seem to have been more critical of them lately. C&D's traditional voices (Csaba Csede, Patrick Bedard, Brock Yates (I couldn't stand Yates) :mad:, and Rich Ceppos, have long since retired and moved on.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
To me, it still seems like the old legacy of C&D from now-retired traditional voices, is still alive and well.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions

Thanks for finding that.

Yep, they essentially said what I said earlier, yawn. A MKX sitting on the same Ford showroom floor just makes a well-equipped Ford Edge look that much better. Not just because of pricing, because the more attractively styled exterior and interior of the Edge doesn't hurt either. Looks like Lincoln has been careful to give loaded MKX's to magazines because the strippos would present themselves competetively even less well.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for finding that.

A MKX sitting on the same Ford showroom floor just makes a well-equipped Ford Edge look that much better.

For comparable trim-levels/options, the (rough) price difference between an Edge and an new MKX will be around 10K. Base Edge models start around 10K less than a base MKX....but a loaded top-line Edge Sport model, if you really pour on the options/accessories, can run over 50K. Same with the Explorer.

I myself, if I was going to spend 40K or more for an Edge, would probably take a hard look at the slightly smaller MKC (it's smaller than the MKX, since you aren't familiar with the alphabet-soup). I like its interior and trim more than the Edge's, and its more compact size would fit the physical conditions of my condo parking spaces better than the larger MKX. Of course, opinions will differ on that, and I respect those who find the Edge a better deal.

The biggest single problem with Lincoln, right now, IMO, is that their sales and service images aren't being helped much by being sold at bread-and-butter Ford shops, and ONLY selected ones at that. They need not only more Lincoln retail-outlets, IMO, but nicer ones as well. Of course, on the other hand, the relatively few Ford shops I've seen in the D.C. area that handle Lincolns seem pretty nice by Ford standards, especially compared to the more rough-looking ones that deal mostly with F-series Ford pickup and commercial trucks. ;)

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
For comparable trim-levels/options, the (rough) price difference between an Edge and an new MKX will be around 10K. Base Edge models start around 10K less than a base MKX....but a loaded top-line Edge Sport model, if you really pour on the options/accessories, can run over 50K. Same with the Explorer.

The biggest single problem with Lincoln, right now, IMO, is that their sales and service images aren't being helped much by being sold at bread-and-butter Ford shops, and ONLY selected ones at that. They need not only more Lincoln retail-outlets, IMO, but nicer ones as well. ;)

Yes and as I already said before $10K+ (significant amount) more for the frumpy version, not to mention subpar resale value later.

Agreed, sales/service images (and actual mediocre facilities) are big problem, but problem goes beyond just image. Other problems exist which I (and others) have already detailed including quality, reliability, pricing, resale value, styling. Adequate is a tough sell in premium car business, especially if styling (and cache) is not outstanding.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes and as I already said before $10K+ (significant amount) more for the frumpy version, not to mention subpar resale value later.

Agreed, sales/service images (and actual mediocre facilities) are big problem, but problem goes beyond just image. Other problems exist which I (and others) have already detailed including quality, reliability, pricing, resale value, styling. Adequate is a tough sell in premium car business, especially if styling (and cache) is not outstanding.

Quality/reliability may not (?) be an issue any more, as it was formerly. Both the MKC and MKX seem pretty well-screwed-together. Of course, factory-new is not the same as having 50K miles of wear on them.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Quality/reliability may not (?) be an issue any more, as it was formerly. .

Not sure what that means ("?"), because in short Lincoln quality and reliability is still TBD, not unlike a lot of Ford products with average to below average reliability.