MARCH, FIRST QUARTER 2024 U.S. SALES FOR LEXUS

mikeavelli

Reactions
The RX500h was doing very well for the first model year but now my local dealers are struggling to push them out. Most of the traditional Lexus customers either want the PHEV or the more economical hybrid option. RX450h+ and TX550h+ are sold out until 2025. IMO the 500h models are priced too high especially when the GX550 Premium/Premium+/Overtrail base are priced so aggressively.

I feel more stories explaining how well it drives need to be told. It’s a great driving SUV but that isn’t being stated.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
The RX500h was doing very well for the first model year but now my local dealers are struggling to push them out. Most of the traditional Lexus customers either want the PHEV or the more economical hybrid option. RX450h+ and TX550h+ are sold out until 2025. IMO the 500h models are priced too high especially when the GX550 Premium/Premium+/Overtrail base are priced so aggressively.
to add in Slow cuv movers currently in the lineup
F sport RXs
UX
RZs
NX450
NX250 (most of these are heading to loaner fleets).

Kennyth

Fan
Reactions
The RX500h was doing very well for the first model year but now my local dealers are struggling to push them out. Most of the traditional Lexus customers either want the PHEV or the more economical hybrid option. RX450h+ and TX550h+ are sold out until 2025. IMO the 500h models are priced too high especially when the GX550 Premium/Premium+/Overtrail base are priced so aggressively
interesting, my local dealer has RX 450h+ on the lot, and seen a few 500h driving around. dont see much is RX 350 F sport.

Reactions
This is true...many dealers still have a lot of 2023s in inventory

Reactions
This is true...many dealers still have a lot of 2023s in inventory

Wow, nobody buys an overpriced, unrefined 4-cylinder hybrid over their competition that has 6-cylinder masterpieces that has similar fuel economy. Who woulda thunk?

Lexus, get it together and build V8s and new 6-cylinder cars that are powerful AND efficient.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
Wow, nobody buys an overpriced, unrefined 4-cylinder hybrid over their competition that has 6-cylinder masterpieces that has similar fuel economy. Who woulda thunk?

Lexus, get it together and build V8s and new 6-cylinder cars that are powerful AND efficient.
Can or would tmc build such a engine?

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
I was recently made aware of RX 500h transmission failures/replacements. Anyone know if this is also happening to the TX 500h?
i think whatever issues it had were probably were worked out into production of the later

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

A non plug-in version of the 550h+ V6 powertrain could have sold much better than the current 500h. The core buyers of the previous RX450h prioritize fuel efficiency and NVH over pure performance. And it's not like the 2.4T P2 hybrid is fast.

Reactions
A non plug-in version of the 550h+ V6 powertrain could have sold much better than the current 500h. The core buyers of the previous RX450h prioritize fuel efficiency and NVH over pure performance. And it's not like the 2.4T P2 hybrid is fast.
Well, the BMW X5's B58 is super refined, efficient, has an amazing aural experience and it ALSO delivers amazing performance numbers too.

I am not saying Lexus needs to mimic BMW to a tee, but they should be a lot more focused in their mission. Everything in their lineup is so haphazardly done. Some of their cars are a knock out of the park, some are good, and some are... to put it kindly, just okay. A Lexus cannot be just "okay".

Last edited:

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

So much for a "performance hybrid" that barely matches competitors' "entry" options.
I would've been fine if it came without the "FSP" moniker.
Guess ppl have watched SG's review and found out not to fall for this scam XD.

Reactions
So much for a "performance hybrid" that barely matches competitors' "entry" options.
I would've been fine if it came without the "FSP" moniker.
Guess ppl have watched SG's review and found out not to fall for this scam XD.

Not only that, but in the commercials, Lexus overlays the driving shots of the RX500h FSP with V6 noises......

pacman1

Fan
Reactions

Different target demographics. I know we like to pretend that an RX with a V8 will sell well. The truth is, people automatically go to Porsche or BMW if their primary concern is a “sport” SUV. No one is going to “settle” for an RX, whether it’s V8 or not.

I don’t think Lexus expects any of their FSPs to be volume sellers. The RX 500 FSP is for the dad or mom who needs a reliable SUV but prefers an extra sportier trim. No one will be out racing Macans in this thing.

Lexus knows what it’s doing. Just as BMW and Porsche have cemented the idea that they are the premier sports brand, Lexus built a rock solid reputation with the RX as the reliable, luxury family hauler. It is THE family SUV in the luxury sector, pretty much a household name. A V8 version is just not in their priorities.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Different target demographics. I know we like to pretend that an RX with a V8 will sell well. The truth is, people automatically go to Porsche or BMW if their primary concern is a “sport” SUV. No one is going to “settle” for an RX, whether it’s V8 or not.

I don’t think Lexus expects any of their FSPs to be volume sellers. The RX 500 FSP is for the dad or mom who needs a reliable SUV but prefers an extra sportier trim. No one will be out racing Macans in this thing.

Lexus knows what it’s doing. Just as BMW and Porsche have cemented the idea that they are the premier sports brand, Lexus built a rock solid reputation with the RX as the reliable, luxury family hauler. It is THE family SUV in the luxury sector, pretty much a household name. A V8 version is just not in their priorities.
I remember Lexus actually expected something like 40% conquest sales for the RX500h.

They are not getting any conquest sales with that performance. They should have always stayed with their core customer base and offer what they wanted, the RX500h is not.

Reactions
I remember Lexus actually expected something like 40% conquest sales for the RX500h.
Exactly. Lexus WANTS to get into the sporty market but they're not putting enough effort to take away sales from the Germans.

I'm not saying a V8 RX would be a total knockout (but don't be surprised if it does sell well), but a powerful six-cylinder turbo-hybrid variant with supple handling DEFINITELY would be the overnight sales king in the sporty CUV market.

The problem is that Lexus is trying to have their cake and eat it too. However, OEMs like BMW as of this moment - other than exterior design - are the jack of all trades and a master of all of them. Other makes like Porsche, while quite expensive, also make fast, sporty, efficient and relatively reliable SUVs. Mercedes-Benz, even with all of their flaws at this given moment, still offer relatively competitive products that would satisfy customers.

When you have Mazda being brave enough to tackle the premium market with a brand-new inline-six for a bargain and Lexus putting out lackluster feeling and overpriced CUVs, Lexus should have the gravitas to take a step back and change course.
They are not getting any conquest sales with that performance. They should have always stayed with their core customer base and offer what they wanted, the RX500h is not.
I think a bifurcated approach is something that Lexus is capable of doing. For their regular cars, their primary goal is to be luxurious BUT they can be sporty. For their F cars, they should be first and foremost sporty, but do not eschew their strengths in being a comfortable luxury car. They did this in the past, they can do it again today.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
Exactly. Lexus WANTS to get into the sporty market but they're not putting enough effort to take away sales from the Germans.

I'm not saying a V8 RX would be a total knockout (but don't be surprised if it does sell well), but a powerful six-cylinder turbo-hybrid variant with supple handling DEFINITELY would be the overnight sales king in the sporty CUV market.

The problem is that Lexus is trying to have their cake and eat it too. However, OEMs like BMW as of this moment - other than exterior design - are the jack of all trades and a master of all of them. Other makes like Porsche, while quite expensive, also make fast, sporty, efficient and relatively reliable SUVs. Mercedes-Benz, even with all of their flaws at this given moment, still offer relatively competitive products that would satisfy customers.

When you have Mazda being brave enough to tackle the premium market with a brand-new inline-six for a bargain and Lexus putting out lackluster feeling and overpriced CUVs, Lexus should have the gravitas to take a step back and change course.

I think a bifurcated approach is something that Lexus is capable of doing. For their regular cars, their primary goal is to be luxurious BUT they can be sporty. For their F cars, they should be first and foremost sporty, but do not eschew their strengths in being a comfortable luxury car. They did this in the past, they can do it again today.
I love the enthusiasm, but overnight sales king???? Nothing against you but people are not thinking “RX” when they are thinking of an “athletic” vehicle. I don’t think that’s a bad thing because RX has other advantages up its sleeve.

In regards to Lexus being lackluster - people don’t care. The RX is every-freaking-where, at least in SoCal. I would like more performance, yes, but it’s enough for 95% of potential buyers out there.

I agree with you and commend Mazda’s bravery. But they are a smaller company and they have always been a sporty brand. They need to carve out a unique niche with the limited resources they have because if they compete with the same offerings as Toyota and Honda they know they will lose.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions

I haven’t looked into this in detail, but how I interpret that is, of the 40% of people who have gone through the process of purchasing an RX500 FSP, 40% graduated from a previously competing brand. Which is aggressive but still a tiny fraction of RX sales. So if Lexus sells 5,000 FSP we can expect 2000 from bmw, audi, etc. I haven’t kept up with the sales numbers for FSP RX and I may be completely off, but my point is that Lexus is focusing their resources on the 90% of buyers looking for a quiet reliable suv and not the enthusiasts on a forum who want performance in a family hauler.

I wish the TX PHEV V6 was in the GX instead of the upcoming hybrid I-4, but it’s not gonna prevent me from buying it. I suspect that this is the mindset for most people who are in the market.

Reactions
I love the enthusiasm, but overnight sales king???? Nothing against you but people are not thinking “RX” when they are thinking of an “athletic” vehicle. I don’t think that’s a bad thing because RX has other advantages up its sleeve.
It definitely would be IMHO. The RX is already an excellent luxury car, and sells super well. Now imagine they actually breathed life into the car. It would capture the remaining market that would genuinely hop in a Lexus from the competition.
In regards to Lexus being lackluster - people don’t care. The RX is every-freaking-where, at least in SoCal. I would like more performance, yes, but it’s enough for 95% of potential buyers out there.

I agree with you and commend Mazda’s bravery. But they are a smaller company and they have always been a sporty brand. They need to carve out a unique niche with the limited resources they have because if they compete with the same offerings as Toyota and Honda they know they will lose.
Even if I were to agree with this, they still didn't do a good job with a lot of elements for the new RX either.