Will1991

Reactions
20210622_UC1-1024x547.png

Since the launch of the FR-S-turned 86-now turned GR 86, some have wondered if an upmarket version of the coupe could appear wearing a Lexus badge. A new rumor from Creative311 suggests that such a vehicle might be in the works and come packing Subaru’s 2.4L boxer engine mated to a PHEV powertrain.
The rumored “UC”- indicating Urban Coupe – looks good in this render but the business case for such a car leaves us scratching our heads. The formula that makes the GR 86 and BR Z so great – light weight, bare basics, focus on driver involvement with the road – seems slightly at odds with Lexus’ philosophy of luxury and serenity, even for a potential F product. It’s also worth noting that many competing products have come and gone in this segment, including the Audi TT and Mercedes SLK/SLC, and even the holdout BMW Z4 is rumored to be on life support.
Even though...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Benito

Fan
Reactions
Wow, that is great to have a more affordable two door coupe in Lexus’ lineup. That spy shot certainly looks like a sporty Lexus grill.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Wow, that is great to have a more affordable two door coupe in Lexus’ lineup. That spy shot certainly looks like a sporty Lexus grill.

Was hoping for a dressed up supra to compete with the likes of Mercedes SL, F-type, Z4 etc. It sounds more like it is going to be a economy two door sports coupe.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
If this gets greenlighted for production and not the LQ/LF it would be the most oddest thing. In a time where crossovers are selling like crazy you release a low budget coupe? Lol okay I guess.

Actually it makes sense from business side of things. This would be the third iteration of the exact same car which makes it tad bit closer to being a profitable project. Standalone RWD midsize SUV would be one of it's kind in Toyota universe, unless they put it on upcoming CX50/CX90 platform

Will1991

Reactions
There is also that sketch, on the 2021 IS video at 0:12:

When I first see this video, my reaction was like “this is a initial 2021 sketch”, but on second thought... These proportions look more coupe than sedan:

1624394904723.jpeg

Even that rear light, it looks more like the 2022 NX with the light bar on top, separated and not merged together like in the 2021 IS.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things, but I would love to see Lexus keeping some coupe sports cars.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
as said, how much does it cost to add some "luxury" sound cladding and PHEV to an existing platform that is on second generation compared to ground up RWD CUV, that is not guaranteed to sell even third of RX? PHEV makes more sense in Europe too, with always more (U)LEZs/ZEZs.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I don't think Lexus will make a car that will break the driver's back in 30 minutes and tries to kill the driver when TC is turned off. The 86/BRZ has an extreme suspension tune that's only held in check by its lack of power.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I don't think it makes a lot of sense to make a Lexus version of the 86. Like the article says the philosophy of Lexus and a lightweight, affordable sports car are almost contradictory.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
why make a UC when the RC exist. Urban or not whatever the UC plans to be the RC can be redesigned to cover it. That's why i don't think there is going to be a UC. However, the next gen of IS/RC could finally get a PHEV like the NX just did with the 450h+. Lexus already have their basis covered as far as sedan and coupes are concerned. All they need to do now is apply the NX formular to it and take it up a notch with F-Sport performance and full F models.

Nights

Fan
Reactions
why make a UC when the RC exist. Urban or not whatever the UC plans to be the RC can be redesigned to cover it. That's why i don't think there is going to be a UC. However, the next gen of IS/RC could finally get a PHEV like the NX just did with the 450h+. Lexus already have their basis covered as far as sedan and coupes are concerned. All they need to do now is apply the NX formular to it and take it up a notch with F-Sport performance and full F models.
It’s far cheaper for Lexus to build a car off a platform that’s already had its development costs paid for, especially as it’s designed for RWD.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
It’s far cheaper for Lexus to build a car off a platform that’s already had its development costs paid for, especially as it’s designed for RWD.
Unless it would be called a Toyota its not going to happen. the Toyota GR-HV has a better chance than the UC IMO.

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
Yeah, Lexus is better off having an RC redesigned and sold around Supra price and a LC500 for the higher end GT coupe range. A super small coupe doesn’t really fit Lexus as much as it does Toyota.

Reactions
Not to be the doom and gloom… but someone has to play devils advocate right? Isn’t the whole point of the gt86 to be a LIGHT WEIGHT fun sports car. Batteries are heavy! And I doubt they will give us enough power to compete with a m240 yet alone a m2 comp. So what would be the point? Unless it’s going to give me at least 380hp I’d rather it just stay a concept, a Fantasy I can hold onto and hope Lexus gives us something undeniably ground breaking. I need them to channel their early 2000’s energy, 2006 IS350 energy. More than just “exciting door handles” real tangible bold innovation.