Lexus to Offer Next-Generation LS with Four-Cylinder Turbo Engine?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-07-08-lexus-ls-250t-400x200.jpg

According to Japanese magazine Mag-X, Lexus will release the next-generation LS with a 2.5L four-cylinder turbo engine.
View the original article post

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Oh my... just imagine... Doesn't fit the LS top of the bill refinement, as far as I am concerned. They may as well do it, but then should keep it strictly for the Chinese market ;)

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I agree. A 2.5L for an LS sounds awful. I guess the 7 series is going to be and I know they can a lot with turbo and super charged but I loved how the LS was only a V8. I wish it was more powerful as I'm sure most do but having that real V8 over the turbo was always something cool about the LS

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
And I was wishing for the 4GR-FSE 2.5L V6 Turbo.

Well, for any skeptics, if the 2L Turbo in the NX is any indication, we need not worry about NVH since this is a silky smoooooth and quiet engine to redline. With extra sound-deadening on the LS, it can only be better.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Audi has a FWD, 4 cylinder A8 in the U.K....in Europe the S-class I believe offers a 4 cylinder diesel/hybrid.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
I agree. A 2.5L for an LS sounds awful. I guess the 7 series is going to be and I know they can a lot with turbo and super charged but I loved how the LS was only a V8. I wish it was more powerful as I'm sure most do but having that real V8 over the turbo was always something cool about the LS
I wouldn't think I'd see a 4cyl Mustang either but the 2.3L makes a good 300hp :)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
And I was wishing for the 4GR-FSE 2.5L V6 Turbo.

Well, for any skeptics, if the 2L Turbo in the NX is any indication, we need not worry about NVH since this is a silky smoooooth and quiet engine to redline. With extra sound-deadening on the LS, it can only be better.

Yes and when I see how well the turbo4 in BMW 5 series sells in U.S., going up 1 size category with this base engine doesn't surprise me.

The skeptics are often the ones that have only experienced mainstream 4 bangers in GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subies vehicles, and of course those would be unacceptable in this application. The top tier premium turbo4's are quite different, especially when it comes to refinement.

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
So, that inline 4 could pair with the next gen hybrid system with 10S auto? That would b ultra efficient.great!

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
A 4-cylinder turbo engine with hybrid, yes. Without hybrid? No!

A hybrid setup will give the LS the refinement it needs at least during lighter loads, when the car runs only on electric motors, and that should satisfy buyers who don't care about performance.

Rockville

Fan
Reactions
I would expect a more fuel efficient offering for the LS which basically shadows BMW. I did not expect a drop to a 4 cylinder unless it was a hybrid. Turbos get their power from their rev count and that is against the LS mindset. A V6 twin turbo would be my guess for an alternative to a V8. The LS has fallen behind its competition in performance so a 5.0 with say 450HP would make sense.

Whatever the power train layout if this rendering is the actual new shape I am delighted. It has the side upsweep of the LFA which was first shown in the IS. It has the simplicity of shape like a Bentley. It is definitely not your father's LS.....

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Whatever the power train layout if this rendering is the actual new shape I am delighted. It has the side upsweep of the LFA which was first shown in the IS. It has the simplicity of shape like a Bentley. It is definitely not your father's LS.....

Amazed that you're the first person to mention the rendering -- I think the wheels are disproportionate to the body and it looks a little too much like an IS, but overall it's exciting to see the new Lexus design language applied to the LS.

(Also, destroy the Mirai style rear lights!)

mikeavelli

Reactions
I would be surprised the LS looks that soapy since all the new Lexus models have strong lines and more masculine edges.

Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, and that Kia-like rear sail panel is not likely to happen.

Reactions: CIF
Reactions
Imo it'll only be the part of a new hybrid powertrain, but it's unlikely if you ask me.

1. LS is prestige. A 4 cylinder engine can be smooth but nothing compared to a V6 or a V8.
2. Hybrid powertrains rely heavily on "switching on and off" the petrol engine and starting and stopping this frequently doesn't play well with turbocharged engines.
3. It's becoming even more unlikely that they're about to build a turbocharged hybrid powertrain when you take into account that Toyota partnered with Mazda almost exclusively to get their Skyactive technology, which are among the finest, (if not the finest) naturally aspirated engines on the market today. Regarding both torque-power characteristics and fuel consumption.

Creating a new generation hybrid powertrain with a petrol engine utilizing the latest from Mazda's Skyactive engines and Toyota's latest atkinson cycle researches would make a LOT more sense to me.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
1. Key words: base engine

Many of us will usually select optional/upgrade engine.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
while I sincerely hope that Lexus LS will have base 4cly engine with 300hp, article saying that "two engines are considered", does not give me much hope that magazine has some real info... since by now, they already know range of engines for LS and it cant be just 4cly and V8 for LS-F (Not F-Sport as written in article).... especially for Japan, I even doubt there will be 4cly option, thats more likely for Russia and China/Asia.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The fact of the matter is the Germans have offered smaller engines in their flagships for decades while Lexus has soldiered on with only a V-8 or V-8 hybrid option. BMW and Audi here both offer a 6 cylinder base models to the V-8 LS. The S550 here is obviously in its own world selling V-8 only and commanding by far the highest transaction prices here. Even the Porsche Panamera offers a 300hp V-6 as the base model. I don't see any interest arguments stating how Lexus is the only luxury brand that sells their flagship with a V-8 only thus they are extremely prestigious. What I do see many times are asinine arguments stating the LS costs less and that is why it sells.

Lexus might have figured out that most people don't seem to care what the base engine is as long as high option engines are offered. I have no issues with a V-6 or an I-4/hybrid LS once its done right. It might not be for me but there is likely a market for it, particularly the V-6.

However, I feel VERY strongly if Lexus is going to offer smaller engines, they sure as hell better off a 550hp+ LS F as soon as possible and not wait 3-4 years after the new generation debuts.