Will1991

Reactions
Global sales for January-December 2019 marked a new annual record high of 765,330 units (a 10% increase from the previous year). In addition to the well-received UX and redesigned ES, which were introduced in 2018, and the popular RX, which underwent a partial redesign in August 2019, the growth of the luxury market in China helped drive overall sales.

January-December 2019 sales results by main regions are as follows:

North America Approx. 325,000 units (level with prior year)
China (including Hong Kong) Approx. 202,000 units (an increase of 25%)
Europe Approx. 87,000 units (an increase of 14%)
Japan Approx. 62,000 units (an increase of 13%)
Middle East Approx. 32,000 units (an increase of 8%)
East Asia Approx. 34,000 units (an increase of 8%)

Source: https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/lexus/31171312.html

Well.... I'm trying to help European sales numbers but they aren't helping... :D

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-02-03-lexus-global-sales-2019.jpg

Lexus set a new sales record for global sales in 2019, with 765,330 units sold. This is a 10% increase over 2018. Approximately 250,000 hybrid vehicles were sold worldwide last year, or 33% of total volume.
Here’s a breakdown of the sales results by main region:

Country
Approximate Sales
% Change vs. 2018

North America
≃0%

China
+25%

Europe
+14%

Japan
+13%

Middle East
+8%

East Asia
+8%

New Lexus International president Koji Sato released this statement with the sales report:

“I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to each and every Lexus customer around the world. From the time of our founding, we at Lexus have been earnestly pursuing the spirit of innovation and untiring evolution, and we will continue to take up the challenge of building vehicles that exceed our customers’ expectations.
Looking forward, based on our...

Continue reading...

Will1991

Reactions
so real question is - will they move more than 1 million by 2023?

Tesla sold around half of what Lexus did and Elon Musk said Tesla should make around 1 million cars by 2022.

I do expect Tesla selling more than they it's a big no for Lexus administration... At least it should be a really big no in my opinion.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Maybe the new IS (not refreshed or if refreshed, stick a =>8 speed auto and more powerful engines +CP/AA) and the 2NX will do the trick? :)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hard to argue with a 10% lift. Pretty incredible and hybrids are playing a huge role here.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Tesla sold around half of what Lexus did and Elon Musk said Tesla should make around 1 million cars by 2022.

I do expect Tesla selling more than they it's a big no for Lexus administration... At least it should be a really big no in my opinion.

I do not think so.

Toyota also sold almost 11m cars.

Believe it or not, Tesla is not a direct Lexus competitor... it is TMC competitor certainly.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Believe it or not, Tesla is not a direct Lexus competitor... it is TMC competitor certainly.

That's exactly right. Tesla is not a luxury automaker. That implies much better materials, fit, and finish than they're currently offering, plus things like CarPlay/Android Auto that they don't offer.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This virus will certainly put a huge dent on the already weak car market this year...

Fortunately for Lexus this is less of a problem since they are capacity limited, but their main plant in Japan has not been closed. Much of the pending deliveries for ES and UX were placed well before the outbreak so the impact should be even smaller.

Luckily for me I'm 'stuck' in the U.S. for now...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
That's exactly right. Tesla is not a luxury automaker. That implies much better materials, fit, and finish than they're currently offering, plus things like CarPlay/Android Auto that they don't offer.

I dont think it has to do with features, just that their goal is to produce as many cars as possible.

So they can be BMW competitor really. Or VW's. Or Toyotas.

Will1991

Reactions
@spwolf and @Ian Schmidt , I do agree with both of you, Toyota sold a lot more (globally) and Tesla's lack quality, fit and finish... But, they positioned themselves directly against premium brands (Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Lexus), every automotive analyst work on this principle.

Take this example from JATO:
img_944x629$2019_04_01_17_04_18_147905.jpg

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Toyota and Lexus could bring back the Sharp Plasmacluster Ion air cleaner. :)

Maybe those can deactivate the virus.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I would argue that at least one third of the European sales numbers are in Russia.

you dont have to argue about it, it is in their PRs :).

Around 35% I think, little bit down this year in Russia... also completely different market and more similar to USA than rest of the Europe - smaller hybrid sales, more larger vehicles.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Chester Dawson of Bloomberg (via Automotive News) brings us an informative commentary piece on Lexus' global 2019 sales performance:

February 04, 2020
Toyota’s Lexus brand surges globally
CHESTER DAWSON
Bloomberg

Toyota’s luxury Lexus brand posted a double-digit sales gain last year, taking its 30th anniversary in stride as strength in China and Europe offset stalled demand in North America.

Sales at the brand, which debuted in 1989, grew 10 percent to 765,330 worldwide last year, Toyota said in a statement Monday, powered by strong sales of its UX subcompact crossover and best-selling RX sports utility vehicle.

China sales soared 25 percent to 202,000 vehicles in 2019 and deliveries in the brand's European markets including Russia climbed 14 percent to 87,000 vehicles. In North America, the brand’s largest market, sales came to 325,000 vehicles — which Toyota said were “level with prior year."

In the EU and EFTA markets, Lexus sales rose 20 percent in 2019 to 56,055 with market share rising to 0.4 percent from 0.3 percent, according to European industry association ACEA.

Lexus’ shift toward smaller and more fuel-efficient vehicles such as hybrid gasoline-electric motors has proved popular in China and Europe, but an aging product lineup in the U.S. — where larger vehicles rule the road — has cost it market share and momentum.

Toyota has long sought to make Lexus a global brand, and its rapid growth in China and Europe after years of sluggishness is helping realize that goal. Company officials say they haven’t forgotten about the U.S. market — which it once dominated — and have a series of newer vehicles in the offing.

Sales in the U.S. fell 0.1 percent last year to 298,114 vehicles. That marked a fourth straight year of declines and the lowest level since 2013.

Lexus sold its 10 millionth vehicle last year, a testament to its success over other Japanese luxury brands such as Nissan’s Infiniti and Honda’s Acura, whose cumulative worldwide sales total 2.6 million and 5.4 million, respectively.

But the Toyota premium brand still trails behind German rivals. Daimler’s Mercedes-Benz saw 2019 sales rise 1.3 percent to 2.34 million vehicles, besting No. 2 BMW Group’s 2 percent gain to 2.17 million vehicles.

https://europe.autonews.com/automak...lobally?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

mikeavelli

Reactions
And I’m also going to reiterate I just don’t see anymore growth in the USA. 300-330k a year seems to be the high point for any luxury brand. No one has passed those figures in a decade. So I think Lexus has to be super happy with these figures. From a corporate standpoint they are tapped out here thus why they are focusing internationally where there is huge opportunities for growth. The article did mention new product coming here fast.

Growth is in EVs. Tesla sold 160k or so Model 3‘s in the USA last year. That is a staggering number for a 40-65k car.