krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-12-03-lexus-november-sales-2019.jpg

USA
Lexus USA has reported 30,093 total sales for November 2019, a 9.4% increase over last year — here’s the model-by-model breakdown:

MONTH
Year to Date (*DSR)

% CHG*
% CHG*

CT

‐100

IS

RC

ES

GS

LS

LC

LFA

Total Cars

UX

NX

RX

GX...

Continue reading...

Reactions
I honestly don't understand how all of a sudden we're having many GX's being sold. It surprises me to no end that there is a never-ending demand for this SUV that came out of left field.

Also, I need to add that the only cars that rose up in sales were the ES and RC. The IS is scarily close to hitting under 1k sales. They got to get their act together. I've been looking at older first and second generation IS vehicles and it's absolutely mind blowing that a second generation IS350 is as almost as quick to 60 as a RC F. The first generation IS has the appeal of the 2JZ, the manual, taut chassis and it having a sportcross version too.

This third one is probably the best in terms of handling and feel (look how many comparison tests it won), but other than a sweet ride, handling, and a 90's retro-style of an interior of the 2010's, what else does it have? To me, nothing. No surprise they're failing hard.

Also, also, look at the UX sucking compared to the rest. Not surprised barely anybody wants a car that has a engine that's only supposed to be in a Corolla, or the hybrid version having probably the weakest electric motor ever.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Even though, it does not give the breakdown of the RCF and the RC, I am glad the RC sales are still going strong considering it is an old platform after being in the market for over 5 years. It tells Lexus that there is a market for a 2-door compact luxury coupe from Lexus and will give a business case for a 2nd gen RC coupe

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
Even though, it does not give the breakdown of the RCF and the RC, I am glad the RC sales are still going strong considering it is an old platform after being in the market for over 5 years. It tells Lexus that there is a market for a 2-door compact luxury coupe from Lexus and will give a business case for a 2nd gen RC coupe
If they don't kill it

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Regarding GX sales:

BOF is a fairly timeless configuration that doesn't get as old and outdated as quickly as unibody. The BOF buyer is fundamentally different: they want the truck feeling from behind the wheel, smooth/quiet, lots of room, reliability, extra capability, and when buying a Lexus, some luxury. GX delivers that in spades.

Crossover buyers are looking for the latest tech, great fuel economy, sliding second row seats and a competitive price. None of those things really matter much to the GX buyer, and it is now an anomaly like the 4Runner, which seems to only be driving sales up.

Perhaps Lexus was smart by focusing on a new grill/headlights instead of CarPlay. They seem to have really known their buyer...

mikeavelli

Reactions

It's interesting to see Hybrid sales up huge and gas prices has held steady. Thus rebuking the thought people want them more when gas prices are high. People want in general vehicles with better MPG.

Its sad to see the LC/LS fare so poorly. I can't think of a more exotic or amazing coupe that gets 30 MPG than the LC. Am I missing anything? Maybe Lexus should focus a bit more on the hybrid instead of just the V-8. The LS also, it gets what almost 800 miles per tank I think. Pretty crazy but there has been ZERO marketing for it.

Regarding GX sales:

BOF is a fairly timeless configuration that doesn't get as old and outdated as quickly as unibody. The BOF buyer is fundamentally different: they want the truck feeling from behind the wheel, smooth/quiet, lots of room, reliability, extra capability, and when buying a Lexus, some luxury. GX delivers that in spades.

Crossover buyers are looking for the latest tech, great fuel economy, sliding second row seats and a competitive price. None of those things really matter much to the GX buyer, and it is now an anomaly like the 4Runner, which seems to only be driving sales up.

Perhaps Lexus was smart by focusing on a new grill/headlights instead of CarPlay. They seem to have really known their buyer...

I know a handful of people who straight up told me they wanted a LX but it was too much so they just got a GX. Seems there is a huge market for loyal Lexus/Toyota fans that want a 7 seater. The RX 7 seater is just not really useable for adults.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I know a handful of people who straight up told me they wanted a LX but it was too much so they just got a GX. Seems there is a huge market for loyal Lexus/Toyota fans that want a 7 seater. The RX 7 seater is just not really useable for adults.

Agree. And under that, you have a whole group of people who were alienated when Toyota dropped the V8 4Runner, so many of them go to the GX and just pay the premium. GX is a perfect sweet spot.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
1) impressive numbers for the GX
2) GX numbers dont differentiate between MYs
3) 2019 MYs had an advertised $3500 USD from Nov 1. Backend dealer cash was even more. 2020 MYs have $2000 USD starting from the Nov 1st (unheard of putting money on a refresh in a SUV hot market)
4) This is the first week of December, and the 2019 stock is wayyy down. Starting December to Remember In November has really helped Lexus.
5) Real demand for the MY20 will be presented for starting from the end of January.
6) Theory here, but the numbers for the 20 MY 4runner are astronomically high as the 4runner gets more tech inside then the GX. Most folks in the 4runner space (at least on the higher trim levels) will be ditching to get into a MY19 before they run out. The only deal 4R market has is leasing, as those numbers look reallly really impressive due to high rvs

Horus468

Fan
Reactions
I’ve said this 500 times now. The reason the IS, GS, LS, and LC are down is because dealerships are not stocking them. The dealership will order a certain amount and not restock them until 3 months later. In the case of the GS, our local Lexus dealer will stock 3 and they’ll sell quickly; but not get counted for the next few months until there’s another reorder. Meanwhile, that same dealership will have a massive lot flooded with NX/RX/GX/ES. It’s really a lack of inventory rather lack of interest that reflect the slow sales.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’ve said this 500 times now. The reason the IS, GS, LS, and LC are down is because dealerships are not stocking them. The dealership will order a certain amount and not restock them until 3 months later. In the case of the GS, our local Lexus dealer will stock 3 and they’ll sell quickly; but not get counted for the next few months until there’s another reorder. Meanwhile, that same dealership will have a massive lot flooded with NX/RX/GX/ES. It’s really a lack of inventory rather lack of interest that reflect the slow sales.
They are not stocking them because dealers know customers are less likely to buy them. Thus incentives are offered to get dealers to buy them to push them out. There simply is no glut of people wanting to buy them. They sit on lots for months on average compared to a Lexus SUV which turns around in weeks if not days.
This strains the relationship a bit. Lexus is making product they want dealers to sell but dealers are not ordering them. Note that dealers begged for a third row RX over the RC convertible Lexus wanted to bring to market. Dealers are begging for a larger Escalade sized SUV and not more F products.

Clearly it’s complicated. I know Lexus has really tried hard to train dealers on the the new products and direction. It’s tough when they still want to sell you a white/beige ES or RX cause it’s easier than a GS. It’s also tough when the ES and RX are so damn good at everything most people go for them and are happy.

What saddens me is the LC is an amazing product, the LS is solid and I love the GS and still think it’s one of the best Lexus ever.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Not to turn every thread into this subject, but to elaborate on the two posts above mine:

The problems at Lexus are equally the fault of dealers and the brand. For years dealers have asked for more flagship product: "Give us more F cars! Give us special edition cars! Give us LS-L! Give us nicer GS! Give us a new full size luxury Sequoia SUV! Give us a grand touring coupe! Give us the LC! Give us an LC-C!"

Almost every single one of those products has failed in part because Lexus dealers have no idea how to sell "ultra" premium products. They are used to stocking RX and ES with white, silver, black and gray exteriors with tan and black interiors and basic options, convincing buyers they want one of those cars and then blowing them out. Case closed.

Lexus dealers, for all of their strengths, do not know how to speak to or sell to an ultra premium buyer looking at $80K and above. There are no customization options - you just get what you get from the factory. There is no special factory delivery option. There is a different experience needed to sell a car in that price bracket, and Lexus doesn't have it. I've explained many times about the years when I worked in dealerships and would watch people coming in to shop for a GS, which the dealer had maybe 2 of on the lot, and the salesman swayed buyers into an ES with the same color combo and a navigation package. Happens 9/10ths of the time, and we know how that ends.

Lexus dealers think they know better than consumers, so they stock popular cars in popular combinations and then try to force buyers into something they have on the lot. This works for Toyota and Honda, and it works when you're selling cars for $45k and under. But when someone is shopping for a grand touring luxury coupe, or a flagship luxury sedan, they generally think, "If I'm spending $__,000, I better get exactly what I want." And guess what? It just doesn't work like that at Lexus.

So IMO, dealers stopped asking for products they couldn't sell --- because they didn't want to in the first place. So who can blame Lexus for not building them?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Almost every single one of those products has failed in part because Lexus dealers have no idea how to sell "ultra" premium products. They are used to stocking RX and ES with white, silver, black and gray exteriors with tan and black interiors and basic options, convincing buyers they want one of those cars and then blowing them out. Case closed.

Moreover, when they do get an RX or ES that's not one of those color combos it doesn't sell and ends up as a loaner. Not only can't they figure out how to sell premium products, they can't figure out how to sell even slightly off-the-beaten-path examples of their highest volume cars.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus outsells Cadillac in China in November
Shanghai (Gasgoo)- Toyota’s luxury brand Lexus reported a year-on-year China’s sales growth of 16.5% with 19,325 vehicles sold in November. The sales in the first eleven months totaled 180,239 units, a surge of 21.01% from the year-ago period.
Of that, 7,449 HEVs (hybrid electric vehicle) were sold in Nov., accounting for 38.5% of the total monthly sales. The HEV year-to-date sales in China stood at 61,204 units, a new record-breaking figure.

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
Lexus outsells Cadillac in China in November
Shanghai (Gasgoo)- Toyota’s luxury brand Lexus reported a year-on-year China’s sales growth of 16.5% with 19,325 vehicles sold in November. The sales in the first eleven months totaled 180,239 units, a surge of 21.01% from the year-ago period.
Of that, 7,449 HEVs (hybrid electric vehicle) were sold in Nov., accounting for 38.5% of the total monthly sales. The HEV year-to-date sales in China stood at 61,204 units, a new record-breaking figure.
Although Cadillac surpassed Lexus in YTD sales, the transaction prices of the two are quite different.
Cadillac offered significant discounts to boost sales, while Lexus raised MSRP in September. Now in order to buy ES and RX, consumers also need to buy additional dealer products. Due to the limited capacity of the Kyushu plant, Lexus China's sales capacity has not been fully released.