Lexus LS F High-Performance Flagship to Debut at Tokyo Motor Show?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Unfortunately so, as I remember reading this somewhere. Why does spwolf come to mind? In regards to the TTV8 engine not being feasible before 2019-20 on the LC.

Lexus execs have been talking about a TT V8 "with more than 600 horsepower" for more than five years now. If they need another 2-3 years to actually make it a reality, I'm pretty sure the entire Lexus engineering team is completely incompetent. You could start from scratch, get an engineering degree and build your own engine in that amount of time - never mind the fact that Toyota has 80 years of experience doing this.

I expect an LS F to be a 2019 model year vehicle, but I expect to see it next year.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus execs have been talking about a TT V8 "with more than 600 horsepower" for more than five years now. If they need another 2-3 years to actually make it a reality, I'm pretty sure the entire Lexus engineering team is completely incompetent. You could start from scratch, get an engineering degree and build your own engine in that amount of time - never mind the fact that Toyota has 80 years of experience doing this.

I expect an LS F to be a 2019 model year vehicle, but I expect to see it next year.

lol. This is quickly turning into another CL, and with same actors as usual.

Where exactly did Lexus talk about TT V8 with more than 600hp? They are going to sell few hundreds of these worldwide once built.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Where exactly did Lexus talk about TT V8 with more than 600hp? They are going to sell few hundreds of these worldwide once built.

First of all, I resent that comment. If you want to loop me in with folks like bitkahuna, rominl and Dave GS4, I've got to say that I think you know me better than that :joy:.

Anyway, a few years ago, Mark Templin started making comments about a high performance V8 to a small group of dealers and somehow, we're still here sitting and waiting. I don't have time to go back and dig up the articles and speculation now, but remember it clearly.

No doubt that there is a new Dynamic Force turbo or twin turbo V8 being developed for F products, Land Cruiser, LX, Tundra, etc... but it just seems like every rumor pushes it out another year when we've already been waiting so long in the first place.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

Different actors, same roles? :joy:

I don't remember this Templin comment @Gecko is talking about, but the first published rumor was a Motor Trend article in 2014:

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/07/20/lexus-build-twin-turbo-600-horsepower-lf-lc-coupe/

That said, I would like to see @Gecko get an engineering degree and build a TTV8 with 600hp in less than ten years. He could sell it to TMC!

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt
We are talking about half the exterior body

@spwolf
Why you didn't remembered the almighty LS650TMG

Which was 800hp+ in its first version then they make it 650 due to regulations even Akio and some of his friends got versions of it and 2 or 3 big car mag make a test drive for it and it said to be even in the previous LS not even waiting until this generation

@Gecko
My problem is that they already have the engine and already have the engineering capabilities and the engine even works great in the previous generation model which have a bad chassis compare to this new chassis dynamic wise

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt
We are talking about half the exterior body

@spwolf
Why you didn't remembered the almighty LS650TMG

Which was 800hp+ in its first version then they make it 650 due to regulations even Akio and some of his friends got versions of it and 2 or 3 big car mag make a test drive for it and it said to be even in the previous LS not even waiting until this generation

@Gecko
My problem is that they already have the engine and already have the engineering capabilities and the engine even works great in the previous generation model which have a bad chassis compare to this new chassis dynamic wise

TMG twin turbo was never an official product... It is something they developed to try to get some orders from Toyota, but it did not work. Who knows why? Maybe it could not pass all the tests. Not like they didnt have enough problems when they did official products for TMME (when they were TTE).

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
But if it didn't pass all the tests why Akio had one and why he gave some to his friends

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
But if it didn't pass all the tests why Akio had one and why he gave some to his friends

i dont know what that means. They created few sample cars and you think that means that it should go into production? They certainly were never homologated and can be only driven with test plates.

And no, no Lexus executive ever talked about twin-turbo V8... only TMG talked about it, trying to score some orders since they lost a lot of business when Toyota exited F1 so they had to keep alive somehow.

Even if they are owned fully by Toyota, they operate independently and try to win projects for Toyota like every one of their companies.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Got your point
So at least we can see this engine in a Crown Majesta or even in a Century if we are talking that Lexus is a separate entity within TMC

Honestly it will be crazy to let all the R&D of the engine go away as if it didn't happen

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Got your point
So at least we can see this engine in a Crown Majesta or even in a Century if we are talking that Lexus is a separate entity within TMC

Honestly it will be crazy to let all the R&D of the engine go away as if it didn't happen

Well, I mean that TMC and TMG are not the same entity... I doubt they went through full R&D process anyway.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

I wouldn't call adding two turbos on an existing engine proper "R&D" since everybody can do that at a mod shop. It is fundamentally different from engineering a production-ready high performance engine. They don't just slap some aftermarket parts on a standard Mercedes engine and call it AMG.

At best it shows how much horsepower the internals and the transmission can hold. But Toyota doesn't really lose anything to just ignore that project.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions

:joy: Oh god, this just takes the cake! Yes, it was first heard about in 2011 the 600+ horsepower LS. I always knew that TMG's efforts wouldn't exactly be TMC approved, in possibly not meeting specific Toyota parameters for Lexus products meant for public consumption. It is a start however, but by now something should've transpired. As soon as the design was frozen in 2014, another 4 years will suffice.

That is how BMW does M models. M development starts at design freeze of the base model and then runs 4 to 4.5 years to Job 1. Case in point, design freeze of the current F30 3-Series was in mid-2009. F80 M3 began in 2009, end of development in mid-2013. M3/M4 Job 1 in February 2014 and market launch in May-June 2014. Same for E90/E92 and E46 from 1996 to 2000.

It should really be a 2018-19 thing at earliest. With the GS-F, it took from final L10 GS design in 2009 to Nov 2015 launch unfortunately, because of facelift considerations. For the RC-F, it was a 2-3 year affair (final XC10 designs were in late 2011/Jan 2012) launched in November 2014.

USE20 IS-F was started in 2004, after 2003 design approval for XE20 sedan, but even think about previous IS430 attempt in early 2000s. It was out in January 2008.

I'm hoping they learned their lessons from the stillborn S190 GS-F of the 2000s and delays of current L10 generation, to move things along as quickly as possible.

Excuse me, but what is that supposed to mean? I recalled hearing the delay of an LC-F model before mid-cycle 2020 CY, from someone I considered very knowledgeable and realistic on things Toyota, so I thought about you being the source.

If anyone is trying to compare me (or anyone else here) to the likes of CL, I recommend thinking hard and twice before doing so. It is unnecessary and unwarranted. I am not one to be pleased with how much time it is taking them, even if I have to be realistic over the situation. I trust something has been misread.

Last edited by a moderator:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Excuse me, but what is that supposed to mean? I recalled hearing the delay of an LC-F model before mid-cycle 2020 CY, from someone I considered very knowledgeable and realistic on things Toyota, so I thought about you being the source.

If anyone is trying to compare me (or anyone else here) to the likes of CL, I recommend thinking hard and twice before doing so. It is unnecessary and unwarranted. I am not one to be pleased with how much time it is taking them, even if I have to be realistic over the situation. I trust something has been misread.

Certainly not meant for you my friend :)

Last edited by a moderator:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

Certainly not meant for you my friend :)

Love the fire, but let's move on from this topic. :innocent: