Lexus LC Convertible to be Released by 2020?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus LC Convertible Coming in Next Two Years?

18-01-18-lexus-lc-convertible.jpg

Auto Express has the source.
View the original article post

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
How can Mercedes and BMW release a coupe, convertible and high performance variant all at the same time, but it takes Lexus three years?

Bean counters. They don't want to take any risks, that's PTSD from the Lost Decade. Instead of making something and worry about sales afterwards, they want the thing to sell before it's made (which is questionable logic).

See how long they experimented with the 86 (and half failed) to 'see if there's demand for Toyota sportscars' before starting this whole GR stuff? Even now they only build the Yaris GRMN in limited numbers despite it being a highly coveted hothatch (due to its purist appeal).

But now LC proved to be a success. With a convertible it could almost completely claim the $100k GT market for itself. The Mercedes SL, despite having a long rich history, fails to fend off this new comer.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I wonder hardtop or softop? LC F roadster :D
That's the $64,000 question. I strongly and fervently hope they go with Lexus' first-ever soft top. The weight, mechanical complexity and space-robbing disadvantages of a retractable hardtop are sizable, and advances in soft top sound insulation make this, I think, a no-brainer. Heck, if soft tops are good enough for luxury brands that place a premium on quietness such as Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Mercedes' S-Class, they should definitely be good enough for Lexus...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Bean counters. They don't want to take any risks, that's PTSD from the Lost Decade. Instead of making something and worry about sales afterwards, they want the thing to sell before it's made (which is questionable logic).

Honestly though, Lexus has always been like this. I don't think they've ever gone whole heartedly all-in like they should.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
It's great that we'll get an LC vert in a couple of years. What about an RC vert as well? It could be a one, two punch from Lexus. The LF-C2 is basically a prototype for an RC vert. Curious what an LC vert will look like. Look forward to see and maybe get an LC convertible in the future.

LC 500
LC 500h
LC 500 C
LC 500h C

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Holy fuq that is hot :heart_eyes:

"An inside source at the company said the LC was a “done deal” and likely to see the light of day within 18 months to two years."

Can someone explain to me why it will take Lexus 18-24 months to design a convertible for a car they started engineering in 2012? At that point, it will have taken 8 years to create an LC convertible.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The LC convertible has been spotted already back in the winter of this year. What everyone thought was an LC-F mule, was likely no other than an LC with a chopped roof.

I discovered this while trying to retrace steps, on when to expect an LC-F and comparing it to the timetable for the GS F and RC-F mule to prototype spy shots.

Which is when I then quickly realized that a zebra colored LC mule did not have anything special in sound, compared to a loud black LS testing 10 months ago. But its A pillars were oddly misaligned and its roof was incomplete as well.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Would TMC really make a LC convertible when it is a segment with the least sales?

The 2 LFA convertibles never came our, same with the LF-C2

Like I said above, post-TNGA they should have more money and more engineers available for low-volume showoff cars. The Germans make a lot of low-volume models, each of which is sometimes cited as a glaring hole in Lexus' lineup, so I wouldn't mind seeing a few come out. Especially if they look as stunning as that render.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Would TMC really make a LC convertible when it is a segment with the least sales?

The 2 LFA convertibles never came our, same with the LF-C2

because they are done for marketing reasons, not just sales...

And not introducing all models at the same time is common German practice too, it is to boost PR and marketing when model becomes older.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
Both the SC430 and IS250C were poorly reviewed. I hope a potential LC Convertible will put Lexus back on the map for this segment.

It seems like a natural direction, but we and motor journalists said the same when the RC was released. We have to put this in perspective.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I just hope it doesn't end up weighing 5k lbs like LS. The car should be beautiful regardless :heart_eyes:

Airplane

Fan
Reactions
because they are done for marketing reasons, not just sales...

And not introducing all models at the same time is common German practice too, it is to boost PR and marketing when model becomes older.
You don't need a actual production car to boost PR and marketing, the LFC2 is an example.
If they do a convertible then why not do a GS 4 door coupe and a RC convertible as well? On one end Lexus is making ways into the least popular segment and on the other end the GS is 90% killed off.