James

Founding Member
Reactions
I know most are probably most excited about the BEVs (honestly as of now I could care less about BEVs but understand Lexus's need to have them) but man I hope the LBX is for LF1. Not sure how much I love LBX as a name or not but if we are one step closer to LF1 thank the heavens!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The LX600 Probably have the twin-turbo V6
LS460 V8 became the LS500 TTV6
Lx570 V8 --> LX600 TTV6
So, in other words, you're suggesting that "600" is a higher-output version of the 3.5-liter "500" TTV6? Or perhaps a 4-liter TTV6 as opposed to the rumored 4-liter TTV8?

Small update, LBX is definitely a Lexus trademark:
(Lexus LBX)
If not a car model name (due to not having a numerical reference), maybe a new infotainment system?
It's registered as "Automobiles and structural parts thereof"
Oh, wow, I didn't realize that LBX was registered as "Lexus LBX". Unless Lexus is going to start using 3-letter model names like Cadillac and Lincoln used to and Acura and Mercedes still do, I'm going to guess that LBX is an upcoming concept vehicle. @Will1991 's guess of a new infotainment system is a good one as well, although those trademark applications tend to be more specific than "Automobiles and structural parts thereof".

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wonder if "LBX" could relate to the upcoming (all-new) infotainment ecosystem?

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
^ yeah the one that a Lexus software engineer hinted at on a forum somewhere

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Small update, LBX is definitely a Lexus trademark:
(Lexus LBX)
If not a car model name (due to not having a numerical reference), maybe a new infotainment system?
It's registered as "Automobiles and structural parts thereof"
I wonder if "LBX" could relate to the upcoming (all-new) infotainment ecosystem?
^ yeah the one that a Lexus software engineer hinted at on a forum somewhere

I just went to the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office site to look up the failed Lexus Enform (arguably an LBX infotainment predecessor) trademark. Its description is roughly 150 words long and rather detailed. (I won't bore you with a copy-paste of its dry legalese wording). I don't think they'd use a brief catchall "Automobiles and structural parts thereof" for an infotainment system. So I'll stick to my guess that LBX is a future Lexus concept car.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
B5028DFD-CB51-43A8-9141-FF5ACCD48E5C.jpeg

On August 5th, Toyota registered a European trademark for LBX . What really placed it on our radars is the discovery, a few days later, of a corresponding Lexus LBX trademark filed the same day in Israel. Notably, it has yet to be filed in the U.S.
What could a Lexus LBX be? Several of our forums members suggested it might be a new infotainment system, perhaps a successor of sorts to the outgoing Lexus Enform system. However, the original trademark filing for Lexus Enform was verbose and detailed, whereas the LBX trademarks are simply for ā€œautomobiles and structural parts thereofā€.
A future concept vehicle is also possible, perhaps a Lexus Battery...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Just had a random thought: Might a Lexus LBX (for Lexus Battery eXperimental) be a concept predictor for the production RZ 450e?
Although the News story linked above is mine, the last sentence is @krew 's very astute edit. I'd forgotten about the Chinese rumors about a future Lexus BX for markets outside North America derived from the TNGA-B Toyota Yaris Cross. It also explains the absence of a U.S. trademark for Lexus LBX.

So disregard the above. LBX is most likely a concept predictor for the potential Lexus BX subcompact crossover.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
So LBX goes on sale before LF1. :(
You know Levi I saw that you liked my other post on the V8 just pissed at Lexus with regards to the LC. I had typed up a response to when we were looking at what some of these new trademarks were going to be and it pretty much said that if we get something else before the LF1 I will official lose it with Lexus (of course I might have already hit that point)! This is unbelievable how they are coming up with other s*** before getting this LF1 out! How hard is it to go from the concept you showed us years ago to a production model that the entire industry is doing right now? I truly believe that Lexus no longer cares about the "expensive" market. They want their entry level cars UX,NX, RX, ES and that's it. I wonder if management has said we can't compete with our rivals in the higher end market so just forget about it cause really their heart is not in it.

Oh yeah sorry @Gecko LBX thread isn't it...umm so LBX will be the BX which is smaller than the UX...yay for us...if it's small enough maybe it can run on like wind power and Lexus can be the first for that!

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Everyone forgot about SA concept real quick :) Mind you that was 5 years ago, quite unbelievable it took them that long to get to production model. Most likely they've waited for perfect donor - new gen Yaris

Levi

Expert
Reactions
You know Levi I saw that you liked my other post on the V8 just pissed at Lexus with regards to the LC. I had typed up a response to when we were looking at what some of these new trademarks were going to be and it pretty much said that if we get something else before the LF1 I will official lose it with Lexus (of course I might have already hit that point)! This is unbelievable how they are coming up with other s*** before getting this LF1 out! How hard is it to go from the concept you showed us years ago to a production model that the entire industry is doing right now? I truly believe that Lexus no longer cares about the "expensive" market. They want their entry level cars UX,NX, RX, ES and that's it. I wonder if management has said we can't compete with our rivals in the higher end market so just forget about it cause really their heart is not in it.

Oh yeah sorry @Gecko LBX thread isn't it...umm so LBX will be the BX which is smaller than the UX...yay for us...if it's small enough maybe it can run on like wind power and Lexus can be the first for that!

With the new LS they wanted to go after Porsche and refused the entry level 'premium' offerings like A3 Sedan, A Class Sedan and 1 Series Sedan (2 Series GranCoupe). They did not want to dilute the brand. Without any V8 in the LS there was no chance against Porsche, the lack of V12 dis not hurt the Panamera either, so a V8 is not too much to ask. But Lexus did a complete 180 degree U-turn, by going downmarket with UX, now BX, and even CUV only range. Without the IS 500 the case is even worse in Europe.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
So LBX goes on sale before LF1. :(
Not necessarily. The most recent Japanese rumors hint at a 3rd-quarter 2021 calendar year release for production LF-1, while the Chinese Autohome article suggests 2023 for production BX.

How true that all turns out to be is, of course, anyone's guess.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Not necessarily. The most recent Japanese rumors hint at a 3rd-quarter 2021 calendar year release for production LF-1, while the Chinese Autohome article suggests 2023 for production BX.

How true that all turns out to be is, of course, anyone's guess.

All rumors were pre-covid. Post-covid the only rumors were cancellation of LC F and TTV8. Again we still don't know if true, but LF1 is not impossible either at this point, post-covid. The LBX could have been moved closer to production, being an easier car to develop. It is basically a luxed up Yaris Cross. The LF1 is from scratch on GA-L bones. Way more work, being an L vehicle, at lot of refinement details. It costs money.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Everyone forgot about SA concept real quick

I certainly didn't, in fact I started a Facebook page called put LF-SA into production and contacted everyone I could at Lexus to get it produced. Still nothing years later, and I believe the design ultimately became the C-HR only a bit bigger - so another stolen Lexus design for Toyota.

Lexus is crying out for something LF-SA sized in Europe - the Audi A1 was a smash hit.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I certainly didn't, in fact I started a Facebook page called put LF-SA into production and contacted everyone I could at Lexus to get it produced. Still nothing years later, and I believe the design ultimately became the C-HR only a bit bigger - so another stolen Lexus design for Toyota.

Lexus is crying out for something LF-SA sized in Europe - the Audi A1 was a smash hit.

The BX is what we'll get. SA was smaller like iQ or smart fortwo.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
The BX is what we'll get. SA was smaller like iQ or smart fortwo.

Hmm, I'd like something 3-door to justify the smaller size. Hate that the new A1 has grown in size and is now 5-door only...it's like...that's what the Audi A3 is for?

I just wish they'd replace the CT with a toned down LF-30 šŸ˜Ÿ

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Hmm, I'd like something 3-door to justify the smaller size. Hate that the new A1 has grown in size and is now 5-door only...it's like...that's what the Audi A3 is for?

I just wish they'd replace the CT with a toned down LF-30 šŸ˜Ÿ
3 doors are dead. the only one is GR Yaris.