Lexus ES Prototype Spotted in Vegas

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
^^^I believe the closest competitor is the Cadillac XTS. The XTS has FWD and AWD versions. Lexus should bring in the addition of the ES 350 awd.

Infiniti had the I35 which was discontinued. So the ES has pretty much the market covered...

Reactions
When the do the next redesign of the ES it might be possible to do AWD. The problem now is the is not a lot of room for the driveshaft. Nowe if they went with an ES300H it would be WAY easier to do it because you can use an electric rear drive motor like the RX. I could see that happening before the ES350 would go AWD.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Hey guys, I think it's a AWD prototype!?!?! Look at the gap between the front fender and the tires. This is sitting higher than the regular ES350. Earlier this year, Lexus asked the GSM of our store about his thoughts on a AWD ES350? We are in Colorado so that will be a huge boost in sales. I hope I'm right!!!!

Good eye, and smart thinking. An ES AWD makes more sense to me, the spread between an ES 200t and the ES 350 is too small in my mind.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Makes me wish I had photographed what I saw but it was dog eat dog bumper to bumper traffic headed north on Paradise Road.

Well, you fulfilled one of my dreams of spotting a test mule -- closest I ever came is seeing a Google self-driving RX in San Francisco. :D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
There is not another manufacturer that has a direct competing product to the ES. It's a super soft, comfortable large car. Not even a Cadillac nor Buick has a similar car.

Two things. First, IMO (and I've driven both), the V6 FWD version Buick LaCrosse is pretty close to the ES350 in general execution, layout, and road manners. Second, the last two generations of the ES itself, though still generally refined, have not been as plush-riding or quiet (or as well-trimmed inside) as the superb 4th-generation model was.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Hey guys, I think it's a AWD prototype!?!?! Look at the gap between the front fender and the tires. This is sitting higher than the regular ES350. Earlier this year, Lexus asked the GSM of our store about his thoughts on a AWD ES350? We are in Colorado so that will be a huge boost in sales. I hope I'm right!!!!

I partially don't believe it's specifically an XV60 ES variant, but that of possibly the next generation in mule form. Due to the new platform, unfortunately it may require more lead time and is being front-loaded in its development programme.

At the moment Lexus is likely going through various 7ES concepts internally (Avalon as well), if not already settled on one, meaning styling on the next ES has been identified. That is where engineers like me, prepare and test the design for over several months until sign-off. I might be wrong of course and it's just an AWD or ES200t mule.

On another note, I may have just seen the LF-FC 2 weeks ago, but surely it existed in some form 2 years ago as an 2017 LS proposal and is a veiled version of the final product (100% finished by no later than Q3 2014).

Great eye, both of you! Both are definite possibilities I think.

While an ES turbo is a possibility too, I personally hope it is not the case. In my opinion, the 2.0L turbo engine does not fit the character of the ES. I feel the ES needs to continue to have a V6 as a base model, just like the RX. Hybrid and other powertrain options can be added too, but I feel the 4 cylinder turbo should be reserved only for sportier Lexus models.

Two things. First, IMO (and I've driven both), the V6 FWD version Buick LaCrosse is pretty close to the ES350 in general execution, layout, and road manners. Second, the last two generations of the ES itself, though still generally refined, have not been as plush-riding or quiet (or as well-trimmed inside) as the superb 4th-generation model was.

The LaCrosse is highly arguable in terms of craftsmanship, attention to detail, and luxury touches, as well as reliability. The ES is considered by many as the class leader, in terms of comfortable, large entry-level luxury sedans.

Reactions: RAL

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Ehmmm...I'd sort of say no to Buick. My parents almost exclusively drove Buick LeSabres. I tried keeping my mom in a LaCrosse or Regal and they just pale in comparison to an ES.
In between an ES330 and ES350, there was a 2011 Cadillac CTS. It lacked bluetooth, it lacked a power seat on the passenger side, it had a loud, whining GM transmission, it had a loud, clacking V6 that only smoothed out once it got past cold idle.
New Buick's lack the overall size, luxury and cache of a Lexus. When I drive the '15 ES350 on the weekends, I'm always so pleased by how smooth it rides.
In a nod to my above average attention to detail, years of performance automobile driving and having worked briefly in the automotive industry, I hand picked my ES350 specifically because it had the Michelin tires on it.
For what the ES lacks in handling and always being aware of FWD torque steer, I love the effortless acceleration of a 268HP V6. My '15 IS250 F SPORT has all the handling I need with the upgrades, but it pales in takeoff power being down nearly 65HP.
And the real closer: Buick can't really match what Lexus offers me on a lease.
After negotiating my best deal with Buick, it comes down to, "but wait...I can pay roughly the same inception, way less money per month tax in, AND I'm driving a Matador Red Mica Lexus, not an extra cost for the color Buick."
And let's be frank: the ownership experience from showroom to service between a GM dealer and a typical (mine happens to be exceptional) Lexus dealer will never be compared on a level playing field. I speak from experience having been a former all-GM household and now rocking twin Lexus plus the older GM V8 sports car.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Ehmmm...I'd sort of say no to Buick. My parents almost exclusively drove Buick LeSabres. I tried keeping my mom in a LaCrosse or Regal and they just pale in comparison to an ES.

I agree that the LaCrosse is not the best example of Buick workmanship. Unlike the well-built Regal, Verano, and Encore, it does not share an Opel platform or a lot of Opel parts. The LaCrosse, in contrast, is a little more representative of the older, less-impressive GM.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I'll be honest I'd rather have an AWD ES than a turbo but it would be cool to have either!

Reactions
ES350T F? LOL, no way...

Lexus knows very well what is an appropriate ES. It is actually in a class of its own now (just like RX), anything try to directly compete with ES either dead or suffering badly! The real improvement should be done in those lazy American labor, before they drag down the build quality of Lexus.

Reactions
ES350T F? LOL, no way...

Lexus knows very well what is an appropriate ES. It is actually in a class of its own now (just like RX), anything try to directly compete with ES either dead or suffering badly! The real improvement should be done in those lazy American labor, before they drag down the build quality of Lexus.
Are you already throwing Toyota's US workers under the bus? Last I heard, they made impressive vehicles....:expressionless: AFAIK, Kentucky just started building them a few months ago, unless you already caught them drinking on their break like those guys at Chrysler.

• Haha

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I've driven lots of ESes as loaners, and I think the driving dynamics are the best yet on the Avalon-based versions. The V6 is smooth, the power delivery's on point, and the car all around actually feels like it's from the same lineup as the GS and LS. I didn't get that so much from earlier versions. Adding AWD is a no-brainer to sell millions more of them.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I'll be honest here on both sides.
I'm sure Lexus is monitoring the build quality in the United States to ensure there is not a drop off on quality.
Time will tell us if that's a true statement in the next couple of years if J.D. Powers rankings suffer any.
Now the truth: I made sure I bought one of the last Japanese made ES350 for my own selfish reasons. Both of my current Lexus are made in Japan.
Just something reassuring about it for me.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I personally think that the ES should stay FWD-only. Leave AWD to IS and GS above and below it.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I've always thought the ES should offer AWD...Acura does on their TL/TLX for the NE markets....No idea how easy that is to configure, surely its a lot harder than saying "add AWD" :D

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Here in Baltimore, almost everything on the lots at the two Lexus dealers is AWD or FWD. So an AWD ES seems like a serious no-brainer, and even more so further north into New England and Canada. I'm somewhat shocked the Canadian models don't have AWD already, actually.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Why did it take Lexus so long to bring in an AWD ES? The ES is their highest selling sedan. Lexus should have capitalized on the ES's popularity by expanding the ES line. The ES 300h does great in sales and gets great mpg's. It appears Lexus has become complacent but then again maybe Lexus wanted to do it right so they took their sweet time...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Why did it take Lexus so long to bring in an AWD ES? The ES is their highest selling sedan. Lexus should have capitalized on the ES's popularity by expanding the ES line. The ES 300h does great in sales and gets great mpg's. It appears Lexus has become complacent but then again maybe Lexus wanted to do it right so they took their sweet time...

they still didnt bring it? :)

Reactions
Looking back, ES250 AWD with a 4 banger was not what I had in mind. I'm sure there was an accountant involved somewhere in the decision making. I just hope they bring the ES Direct Hybrid with AWD and 300hp soon. The ES250 really is not that bad to drive. It's not a sports car but the ES never was intended to be. But the engine just falls short of the V6 especially for the people who are used to driving the ES350 everyday. If a new customer to Lexus that never owned an ES350 FWD gets in a ES250 AWD, they probably would love it. I just like more horsepower. If it had 500HP, I'd want 600.

Lexus once turned the Luxury car market upside down. It's my dream that Lexus decides to turn the Luxury Sports Car market upside down and make 700hp cars. But I know that's not what the majority of Lexus owners are looking for. But I can dream.

Last edited: