Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
For sure no
Until now all my source info is correct and that's no difference

It's FR period!

Powertrain: I6 engine (Gasoline/Diesel/X)/ AWD” While it was expected that a petrol and diesel engine would be spun from the new inline six engine range, some speculation remained as to the role SkyActiv-X spark-controlled compression ignition would play, we now know both regular petrol and SPCCI versions will be made available. At no point does Mazda reference rear-wheel drive, suggesting the new Large range may be all-wheel drive only.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Can't wait for these performance hybrids to come. Hopefully there is more to Direct4, even a mechanical clutch for torque vectoring if dual motors in the rear don't make sense.

These allow me (I keep cars for a long time) to postpone going full BEV when there is little to no talk about post-warranty battery refurbishment support and cost. I don't even mind if manufacturers don't offer new battery packs and wait weeks to get the repair work done but at least offer guaranteed refurbishment for first owners for a reasonable price.

They offer that to ICEV engines and HEV engines and batteries.

Reactions
Well, not with the New N platform at least.
Ah yes. Got it lol. Would be sweet and has the engine been green lit? I want more F cars but not because I want it but to make Lexus stand out.

My family has always been Toyota enthusiasts but I get tired of enthusiasts who think it's a boring car. We're in the market for a hybrid and preferably Lexus.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
The rumored IS-F a long while ago is supposedly the IS500 that was revealed couple days ago. Unless the next gen IS (2023?) lives on and they are developing a TTV8 along side, I just don't see there to be another IS-F this time around, especially it is pretty obvious that the new parts can't fit into the old platform.
1UR on TNGA (O)
TTV6 / TTV8 / 10AT on New N (X)

Levi

Expert
Reactions

Carmaker says the RWD platform was in the plans before the RX9 and 2 and 4 door concepts were revealed. In fact is well known that Mazda and Alfa Romeo wanted the current gen Mazda 6 and the Alfa 159 to be RWD. The Mazda 6 concept was clearly RWD, and when I was at Geneva, they clarified they wanted but could not, it would remain FWD. Only later did Alfa skunk work a new RWD plaform, a very good one, strong light and efficient that is the base for all RWD based Stelantis cars, except Ferrari.

Carmaker says he does not know the decision on next gen IS. But the Mazda platform is RWD. The Mazda cars will just have AWD standard.

Maybe mechanical AWD, maybe electric AWD with electric motor on front axle, but in any case standard AWD based on RWD platform (as BMW and Mercedes).

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Carmaker says he does not know the decision on next gen IS. But the Mazda platform is RWD. The Mazda cars will just have AWD standard.

Miss carmaker...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's really not the topic of this thread, but what sense would it make to create a dedicated RWD chassis... but make it AWD only... when you can accomplish AWD much cheaper by just basing it on a FWD-based system? Especially with modern electronics that can direct torque split to make it behave more like RWD?

Makes no sense.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It's really not the topic of this thread, but what sense would it make to create a dedicated RWD chassis... but make it AWD only... when you can accomplish AWD much cheaper by just basing it on a FWD-based system? Especially with modern electronics that can direct torque split to make it behave more like RWD?

Makes no sense.
proportions?

do Porsche and Bentley have RWD variants? yet they got new RWD platform for AWD cars.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
proportions?

For a company like Mazda, they really don't have the $$ to develop a brand new RWD platform, but make it AWD-only, for the sake of proportions... for what, two cars? 6 and CX-9? Maybe a new midsize CUV? I just can't see this happening, especially when Mazda's own release talks about AWD. It makes no sense.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
For a company like Mazda, they really don't have the $$ to develop a brand new RWD platform, but make it AWD-only, for the sake of proportions... for what, two cars? 6 and CX-9? Maybe a new midsize CUV? I just can't see this happening, especially when Mazda's own release talks about AWD. It makes no sense.
what makes sense killed Infiniti. so I do not know. we'll see.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

Makes no sense.
Mazda's decisions have been questionable since mid 2010s... 2020s might be a lost decade to them. But luckily they now have money from Toyota to stay alive at least.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
one thing for sure now with the reveal of the IS500 is that Lexus and Toyota have not given up on performance cars. Toyota might help Mazda and Subaru to get "status" and help establish the Japanese car industry. having other competitive Japanese brands will help Toyota. Nissan is weak (Infiniti is dead), Honda is weak (Acura on life support), Mitsubishi is marginal, Suzuki is insignificant.

German car industry would not be as strong if they were not competitive among themselves. To be strong you need internal (national) competition, otherwise you end up with brands like Alfa Romeo and Jaguar that will remain as "wannabe German".

what the Germans do now is what the Japanese did in the 90s. they were very successful and managed to ride that wave for 20 years. but that wave paased and we see the results (Nissan/Infiniti,...). They need a new wave and I see they a going to ride it.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
Here's something I posted at the other place that will shed some real light on this subject:

So here's a little backstory I never really shared here. I was part of the early discussion on IS F before it debuted in Detroit back in 2007, I was involved in the study team meeting with Chief Engineer Yaguchi and a select group of enthusiasts I invited, @Joe Z was one of them. A few years back, I was involved in the study team discussions for what we now know as the IS 500 F SPORT Performance. The first concern of mine was not being labeled an IS F. Also the confusion of what the F and F SPORT branding.

The IS 500 F SPORT Performance compared to the previous IS F, the core elements are there. Compact RWD sedan with a V8, performance wheels/tires/brakes, great handling. The IS 500 F SPORT Performance in my opinion is the IS F successor. The reason I came with that conclusion after numerous meetings with the product planning and marketing teams over the years, this is an effort to continue a true V8 compact sport sedan without braking the bank. If you look at it, most people that have owned IS F have changed out the brake pads and rotors (because they think the OEM Lexus/Brembo replacement parts are too expensive), changed the wheels, the suspension, for some the driver's seat for something more supportive and aggressive. I don't look at this new car as a bad thing. I actually think it's great because it is a clean slate for someone ready to customize it their way, and not have expensive branded parts that will be deemed useless once they change it out.

What the 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance doesn't have compared to IS F:

• No Brembo Brakes
  • No BBS Wheels
  • No F side skirt/vents
  • No F badging
  • No F front seats (heated only)

What the 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance has that the previous IS F doesn't:

• 5-mode Drive Mode Select (Normal, SPORT and SNOW ECT modes for IS F)
  • Adaptive Variable Suspension (One way, non adjustable Tokico shocks for IS F)
  • Lexus Safety System + 2.5 (Radar Cruise was the only safety option for the IS F)

The IS 500 F SPORT Performance still carries the original Lexus Musts for IS F:

• Must Be Balanced
  • Must Be Authentic
  • Must Haul Ass
As a matter of fact, with the new Lexus Driving Signature, the IS 500 F SPORT Performance will have a better, more controlled and balanced ride than the previous all thanks to AVS and technological advancements with the suspension and shock valving. After driving the IS 350 F SPORT Dynamic Handling Package, I really feel the IS 500 F SPORT Performance will be a good balance of comfort and performance. Think BMW Alpina B3 to an M3. I'm really considering to trade in my 2020 RC F for this.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
Okay just to confirm and this was verified with my direct contacts at Lexus. The 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance does have the AA80E 8AT Sport Direct Shift transmission with lockup torque converter just like IS F, RC F and GS F. The press release is incorrect saying it has the 8AT from the IS 350 F SPORT which is the AA81E, not to be mistaken with the AA80E.