Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Lexus Cancels IS, CT and RC

Oh well, I knew the IS was cancelled but it seems like Lexus may very well end up full-Lincoln in the UK, selling only blobs (SUVs)

Awful ambition from the company that will only serve to rubbish their brand image.

I have the laugh at them saying ES outsells IS 2 to 1. Maybe that’s because the IS is ancient - I’m surprised it’s not outselling it even more!

The CT should have a direct replacement.A-Class, 1 Series and A1/A3 have been sales smash hits.

Reactions
Lexus Cancels IS, CT and RC

Oh well, I knew the IS was cancelled but it seems like Lexus may very well end up full-Lincoln in the UK, selling only blobs (SUVs)

Awful ambition from the company that will only serve to rubbish their brand image.

I have the laugh at them saying ES outsells IS 2 to 1. Maybe that’s because the IS is ancient - I’m surprised it’s not outselling it even more!

The CT should have a direct replacement.A-Class, 1 Series and A1/A3 have been sales smash hits.

Wow. What a sh*tshow. 😂

Will1991

Reactions
Can't say it was unexpected, but is awful to see... Now the cheapest non-SUV available is the ES300h...

I know Lexus is a luxury brand and all but damm...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Sad news.

Where are all the people who were rubbing their crystal balls and claiming a new CT was "just around the corner"?

honestly i always saying the complete opposite and from day 1 i saw the new Corolla and Yaris as the CT coffins
That said

TMC wanting to compete with European and especially the Germans in Europe by Toyota brand name as before a short timed look in the selling charts will appear that this strategy makes both brands Toyota & Lexus sales numbers to get higher

Toyota start selling the Camry again in Europe after 20 years discontinuation
they have 86 & Supra ,
the current Corolla & Yaris as approximately every one say in their respective topspec are a sharp Premium category with others as me debating that they maybe even Lux. but in all they are not the previous generations Corolla & Yaris and that for sure

add this to the long waited Toyota with the Mazda i6 Sky-Active and the Crown TNGA-N and you will all see what TMC want to do

they simple wants to mimic Toyota from late 60s to early 90s, a luxury built with mainstream priced vehicles

that leaves us with what they will do with LEXUS
it will be FR by time
recently we got rumors that the next RX will be FR and honestly i said it before a lot of times and i will say it again
with the current Highlander , Venza / Harrier & RAV4 amazing everything it's not logic to put the RX & NX in comparison with them
they will eatfrom each other share, the only logic move is to drop the FF from RX & NX and make them gain FR instead

Levi

Expert
Reactions
In Europe it is not possible to compete against 1 Series, A Class and A3 (eventually Golf) because of superior badge status. Even the Renault Megane will turn into a CUV ala Kia Xceed.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
In Europe it is not possible to compete against 1 Series, A Class and A3 (eventually Golf) because of superior badge status. Even the Renault Megane will turn into a CUV ala Kia Xceed.

Toyota name in mid and east European states are not that far behind the Germans

In Russia especially we always import used cars from Japan

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Toyota name in mid and east European states are not that far behind the Germans

In Russia especially we always import used cars from Japan

Because mid and east Europeans are les biased towards Germans (brands) for historical reasons. In western European countries there is some hatred and wish to harm themselves. Strange phenomen, due to some political indoctrination.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Unfortunately, Agree
But
If Toyota from late 60s to early 90s succeed in make the formula of luxury interior, fit & finish with mainstream cost

Why they won't be able to mimic it if they want to?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-10-15-lexus-ct-europe-discontinued.jpg

20-10-15-lexus-ct-europe-discontinued-1.jpg

Lexus has discontinued the IS sedan, RC coupe, and CT hatchback in the United Kingdom, presumably as a first step to stop sales of the three models throughout Europe. From Autocar:

All three models are now listed as having “limited availability of stock”, with a spokesperson confirming no more will be brought into the country. Lexus stock is held centrally rather than in different dealer networks, unlike most volume brands.
The only exception is the RC F performance derivative, which will continue to be imported and remain on sale for longer than the mainstream versions of the coupe.

There are no plans to release the updated IS sedan recently released in the USA, though Autocar mentions that a crossover...

Continue reading...

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
I remember being so active on here way back then. The enthusiasm level and the brand was on a hot successful trajectory. What the hell happened?!? There is no product in the lineup that I am excited for or willing to buy. Nothing is really new. Everything is old that’s been refreshed 10 trillion times. Refresh refresh refresh... Ahhhhhhh

Honest question. Any of you still plan to buy any Lexus models. Take out the usual RX & NX. Can’t pick those.?

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
1,5 year ago I left the Lexus organization. At the importer that I worked for, meanwhile the Lexus management has been taken over entirely by Toyota people. No specific focus on Lexus anymore. 😕
I remember having seen the projection of the European line-up plans until '24. This evolution of abandoning CT, IS and RC was planned, unfortunately. I suppose that these efforts are to be seen in the context of the European obligations for car manufacturers to achieve an average of 95 g/km CO2.
The biggest disappointment to me is the lack of investment in the European markets. The Lexus brand could have positioned itself as a true luxury player with top Omotenashi dealer service and with the right electrified products. But not having the right electrified products in due time (i.e. BEV and PHEV instead of only HEV) in the right tax bands is killing the brand. With the lack of CT, IS and RC and not enough renewal in 2020, the sales units will drop again to the level of 10 years ago. It will be very difficult to rebuild it again, even if there are new products (including BEV and PHEV) in the pipeline in the future.

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
I remember being so active on here way back then. The enthusiasm level and the brand was on a hot successful trajectory. What the hell happened?!? There is no product in the lineup that I am excited for or willing to buy. Nothing is really new. Everything is old that’s been refreshed 10 trillion times. Refresh refresh refresh... Ahhhhhhh

Honest question. Any of you still plan to buy any Lexus models. Take out the usual RX & NX. Can’t pick those.?
My 19" ES is the last lexus i buy honestly, been continuously let down.
Lexus are completely ignoring what their customers want, and i do not see any kind of innovation in their lineup.

Will1991

Reactions
@Joe , could you share a bit more on the European line-up until 2024?

Anyway, as an enthusiast it's really sad to read your post, even depressing how Toyota is treating Lexus for Europe... But, that explains a lot of things:
-> No PHEV's
-> IS, CT and RC being axed

Thanks for your post!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Underwhelmed. Loved Lexus back in 2007. Now Genesis and Acura are taking its spot. Omg that new Gv80 and MDX are gonna rob RX customers. I'm not surprised. Slow at innovating the Lexus lineup and no updates to engines 😒

Genesis maybe, but Acura has to yet make its first RWD car other than the NSX.

Reactions
That's pretty sad, in France as well these 3 models are discontinued. I have been driving Lexus IS since 2000, and now that era is over. We are left with a SUV only choice (besides LS & LC). And on this market (SUV) German and Korean are damn good!

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
@Joe , could you share a bit more on the European line-up until 2024?

Anyway, as an enthusiast it's really sad to read your post, even depressing how Toyota is treating Lexus for Europe... But, that explains a lot of things:
-> No PHEV's
-> IS, CT and RC being axed

Thanks for your post!

As far as I remember, Autocar is right stating that there will be a small crossover (based on a Toyota model) which then should play the role of ’entry to the brand’ like CT was doing until now. Don’t know anymore for sure (was not allowed to save any notes back then) but there should be a specific BEV SUV in the plans by ‘24. Next NX receives PHEV (from RAV4), next gen RX as well. No replacement for RC, but back then they still wanted to replace the IS with a new model in ‘23. But with the ever rising success of SUV and the dropping sedan sales, I’m not convinced that they will carry on with this. So there will be PHEV and BEV tech and new models, but not enough and very late, especially compared to European brands who are launching tens of electrified models already now.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I could accept CUVs only, but on condition of at least one RWD(-based) one. At BMW and Mercedes you can get X3/X4 and GLC Wagon/Coupe, at Alfa you can get Stelvio and Maserati is coming with a long-wheel based Stelvio derived one too, not the forget the Genesis GV70.

Will1991

Reactions
Thank you a lot @Joe !

We can assume with a pretty good amount of certainty that the RZ450e is a 2024 SUV, perhaps a 2023 launch given the rise in BEV’s.

It also goes in line with the latest trademarks (NX450h+ and RX450h+).

That settles it for me then, no BEV sedan in Lexus line up in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Joe