krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-01-30-lexus-twin-turbo-v8.jpg

Lexus will publicly debut their new twin-turbo V8 in a LC coupe race car, and here we have our first video of the engine in action:

This engine, which is rumored to output over 600 horsepower in the much-anticipated LC F coupe, has been a topic of speculation for nearly six years. The LC race car will be participating in this year’s 24 Hours of Nürburgring race.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Airplane

Fan
Reactions
I guess I was right about why it’s taking so long to come out with this engine?

I think the engine is already done with the development part and they are focusing on the reliability test at the Nurburgring.

So the engine will be used on future performance models, not just the LCF. Maybe the LSF, LF1, RCF, LX, GX? Maybe there will be a new ISF to replace the GSF?

The article says “future road cars, such as sports cars”. Notice the plural form of road carS, meaning more than 1, and the plural form of sports carS, also meaning more than 1. Based on the statement, I think we can assume it will be at least 2 sports cars and at least another road car that is not a sports car.

I mean they didn’t specify it would only be used on a sports car, but mentioned road carS first. They didn’t say it would only be on F models, which I think the LX600 trademark could just have a down tuned version of the engine, and other models will have it too.

I think we need to not jump ship too quickly, how many people thought the engine and the LCF was dead? A lot.

So let’s still be optimistic about it.
Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
This will only be shocking to knee-jerk reactionists which changes their mind about Lexus every time a new rumor comes out.

Right on time to release the engine in racing just before the LC-F comes out.

Reactions
This will only be shocking to knee-jerk reactionists which changes their mind about Lexus every time a new rumor comes out.

Right on time to release the engine in racing just before the LC-F comes out.

Nice attempt at calling me out buddy.

"Knee-jerk reactionists which changes their mind about Lexus every time a new rumor comes out". That seems like a direct aim at me. By the way if you're trying to start something by implying it's me just know that I have been sick of Lexus for the past several months, and this is probably the only thing that made me excited other than the LC Convertible this year. I suggest you to watch it.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This probably doesn't need a new thread to post it, but the flip side to the development of the new V8 is that the existing 5.0L's days may be numbered.

Lexus Quietly Makes Major V8 Announcement
4 HOURS AGO BY JAY TRAUGOTT ENGINE / 4 COMMENTS
What could replace today's 5.0-liter V8? Read on.
The status of the naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 engine currently utilized in the most powerful Lexus models remains in doubt. It is the heart and soul of models like the Lexus LC 500, GS F, and RC F. While we were told that it will stick around for now it'll have to go one day due to ever more stringent emissions standards. But the question is: what will replace it? Today, we have an answer.
Lexus quietly issued a press release confirming the development of a new twin-turbo V8. According to the release, "In 2020, the [Lexus LC racing] team will use what it has learnt through these hard experiences and aim to complete the race without any trouble by adopting a variety of new technologies, including a newly-developed V8 twin-turbo engine destined for use on future road cars such as sports cars."
2018-2020 Lexus LC 500 Front View Driving
Lexus

2018-2020 Lexus LC 500 Rear Angle View
Lexus

658547.jpg

658548.jpg

This engine, which was previously rumored to be in the works for some time, could produce over 600 horsepower, compared to the current 5.0-liter's 472 hp. As noted in the release, this new V8 will initially debut this June at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring where Lexus will race the LC for the third consecutive year.
No other details were provided, but it was interesting that Lexus opted not to go with a major announcement because, after all, this new V8 is a big deal. Instead, the new V8 confirmation was sort of hidden in the Toyota Gazoo Racing release.

2020 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Vs. Convertible: The $7,500 Question Answered
2020 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Vs. Convertible: The $7,500 Question Answered

Greatest Cars From Bertone
Greatest Cars From Bertone

2018-2020 Lexus LC 500 Engine Bay
Lexus

2016-2020 Lexus GS F Three Quarter Front Left Side View In Motion
Lexus

Lexus

658552.jpg

658550.jpg

658553.jpg

Which Lexus model will be the first to receive the new V8? Again, Lexus revealed nothing on the matter, but we wouldn't be surprised to see it debut in the also long-rumored LC F coupe. When will it debut?
Again, unknown but endurance races like the 24 Hours of Nurburgring have also been utilized as new product debut venues and Lexus would be wise to apply this strategy. Therefore, it's possible the 2021 Lexus LC F road car could make its first appearance this coming June. Fingers crossed.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
I guess I was right about why it’s taking so long to come out with this engine?

I think the engine is already done with the development part and they are focusing on the reliability test at the Nurburgring.

So the engine will be used on future performance models, not just the LCF. Maybe the LSF, LF1, RCF, LX, GX? Maybe there will be a new ISF to replace the GSF?

Fingers crossed.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Hopefully a V8 will find its way into the LS and other related models, dare we hope for a new GS F sport model.
An upmarket ES? with its all wheel drive could be another consideration?
But I do agree Lexus very slow to market and need to work harder on some of their interiors not up to Merc and Audi on a par with BMW which also tend to somewhat spartan and bland.
The GLA in opposition to the UX just seems more plush and luxurious on the inside even though the UX is not bad it should be better as it is later to market than the GLA. In South Africa the GLA also offers diesel which remains a very popular choice in most of their models.
Not sure why Lexus does not offer Diesel Toyota offer diesel in many of their ranges particularly in the SUV class so why not offer them in Lexus. Hybrids very slow sellers out here not sure why nearly every manufacturer offers them but they are expensive no Government subsidy is on offer, this no doubt explains it.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So finally,
Thanks lord I heard it before dying
enough sarcastic
Honestly the best news regarding lexus in all 2019 is on December as Lexus December to Remember offers

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Entering it in the 2020 race season probably coincides well with the plan to introduce the LC F in 2023 (I think that was right?). That'll give them time to endurance test it, make any final adjustments and prepare the engine for production.

I guess anything debuting before then - LX, LF-1, LS refresh, LC refresh - will just have the TT V6 or current V8?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Entering it in the 2020 race season probably coincides well with the plan to introduce the LC F in 2023 (I think that was right?). That'll give them time to endurance test it, make any final adjustments and prepare the engine for production.

I guess anything debuting before then - LX, LF-1, LS refresh, LC refresh - will just have the TT V6 or current V8?

It's something like what they did with the LFA, 2 years nurburgring until the production one kicks in the 3rd year