Lexus Development Stories

What should I start with?

• 2LS - 4.5LS (EWG)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GS (Explain Which Gen)

• RX (EWG(s))

• 3ES, 4ES ( developed during 1991-2001)

• Total voters

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I had been planning for the better part of 11 months to start a series on development and history of Lexus models from beginning to present. The problem I've had is finding time in my newly busy schedule to execute this flawlessly.

Secondly, it has been some trouble spots with lack of clearcut information in some areas and that of visual content to accompany any text, with some model generations.

So I will do a poll on what should be written first.

I will not cover anything LX, GX, 1ES, 2ES, 5ES-6ES, nor HS due to limited content. Nor LFA. I will address 1LS and 1IS a few months later on, as well as UX (in 9 months time).

The NX and CT could not fit in poll, so please explain in post.

Reactions
Hey @Carmaker1! I voted other (for LFA) before I saw your comment. I'll vote for the IS cars. But as something to kick things off, we should have an interesting topic. I know it may be a small one but can you tell us more about the Lexus Landau? For the sake of warming up, AND, it is a legend. AWD V8 Lexus hatchback by Italdesign Giugiaro? Yeah!

1994-lexus-landau-concept.jpg

RAL

Reactions
I voted, but as you've requested I'll be specific @Carmaker1 ... I would like you to start with 5LS (2011-2017)

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Definitely story of the 5LS

But the big question on all our minds right now is, what the heck is actually happening with the 4GS and future 5GS?

Reactions: RAL

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I can't blame you guys for wanting to hear about the new LS, but my goodness I was hoping to postpone this as long as I could so I could do my very best on it! o_O

But hey, you want what you want and I am willing to get it done right, ASAP. Unlike the others, it will take a bit longer and will be a tad incomplete, since it was just launched this past January in JDM and globally in February and model lineup is not complete (yes, there are more models coming;)). I will get started on writing 5LS story.

Hey @Carmaker1! I voted other (for LFA) before I saw your comment. I'll vote for the IS cars. But as something to kick things off, we should have an interesting topic. I know it may be a small one but can you tell us more about the Lexus Landau? For the sake of warming up, AND, it is a legend. AWD V8 Lexus hatchback by Italdesign Giugiaro? Yeah!

1994-lexus-landau-concept.jpg

I really don't know much more than you would about this concept, but was very interested in it awhile back and already posted about sometime last year or in 2016. Definitely on this forum in some thread, I think. Yes, sorry about the LFA. I made that decision, as like 5LS, it is not only overwhelming, but it has garnered plenty of exposure from other sources. I will possibly cover the LFA after the UX and 7ES. Thanks!

I want to hear about the 10+ year sh*tstorm the 5LS development must’ve been. :joy:

Seems to me that Toyota cynically approached that programme and canned the original, around 2009. That isn't official, as my means of 5LS info doesn't entirely highlight backroom politics. The stopgap of the 4LS, explains this. For the 2013 MY LS, work was commenced in the second half of 2009, parallel to the 2010MY refresh coming out (styled up to early 2008 in advance).

The MY2013 changes were what you can call, "frozen" in early 2011, before going on sale in the autumn of 2012. The styling aspect of the 2013 LS was approved in Q4 2010 (quoted as fall/winter 2010). Because of that, it is clear to me development of a new platform LS was in limbo between 2009 and 2011, before 200B began in late 2011 for MY17/18.

Toyoda's predecessor Watanabe more than likely approved work on a new LS circa late 2007-2008 and by 2009, an LS redesign was scrapped and postponed mysteriously. Once they committed to doing an intra-generational redesign in 2009, the needed ROI for the facelift expenditures required at most 42 months of sales and the rest was gravy.

Considering that LS development began over 6 years ago, the car was originally planned to debut before the LC500 and fell behind schedule. The fact that the final design was fully engineered by the summer of 2014 is shocking, as that's Lexus making final styling commitments very, VERY early and being confident it won't be dated at intro in 2018. By comparison, the original LS 400 reached that point of development in May 1987 vs release date in September 1989. 28 months vs 44 months (2014-18). Unusual how it took so long.

BTW, thanks!

Reactions
i want to see the original launch video of the LS400 when it was revealed at the motor show in 1989. i cant find it. its gotta be out there somewhere

Reactions
I think he means the actual introduction at the '89 NAIAS, not the commercial. Not that you can ever see that commercial too many times.

OH! Haha! My bad. Apologies. I thought he meant the official commercial that revealed Lexus to the world for the first time.

And yeah, why not? I always love watching this commercial. Any excuse to bring it up I guess. ;)

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Annoyingly it has taken me 12 full months to start doing this :pensive:, but I will try to get on finishing up within 10 days. Cannot figure if one thread per model will suffice or condensing it all into one post. Starting with 200B is a bigger challenge for me, as I can't say all the darn questions about this car have been 100% answered. I am really annoyed with this unusually long LS 500 rollout, partly why I might have avoided the LS first .
200B Final Design Freeze Front-Rear.png

i want to see the original launch video of the LS400 when it was revealed at the motor show in 1989. i cant find it. its gotta be out there somewhere

I don't think you'll find that, unless Team One has it or maybe some archive. Would be really cool to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions
yes, the NAIAS footage. THATS what im trying to find. ive been looking for it for awhile. everybody has seen the classic wine glass commercial. im looking for the actual reveal from when the brand as a whole was launched at the NAIAS. it was a pretty big deal considering it was the intro of a whole new brand of car. theres gotta be some old foggy grainy VHS footage of it. i did an LS500 unofficial launch video for my dealership and really wanted some old footage from brand launch to incorporate into it. however, i at least was able to pillage some storage rooms at my dealership and managed to score some early local lexus commercials off of forgotten dusty VHS tapes. -the one i work at was one of the original 18 dealerships, and its privately owned which seems to be a rarity, so theres still some old promo stuff from early on stashed away. it was a real trip to watch them, and see a few people i work with everyday, 29 years ago -yes, theres a few old timers that have been here since day one. the cars, the fashions, this area, and this dealership has changed ALOT since 1989.

Reactions
speaking of the GS.... im still hanging on to "its just a rumor" that its going to die with the new ES. hanging on for dear life..

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I am sorry that I have taken so long. I have been traveling a lot and managing a lot of projects, so I haven't been on forums for weeks. I will resolve and just post summaries and KEY photography in the meantime, of all Lexus LS generations and SC/LC models, plus that of the 010B Camry program.

A lot of what I have is in Japanese and I had been waiting on hearing back from personnel as well, but most have not been cooperative for various reasons. I will just put this up by Wednesday or Thursday in the US.