Lexus Development Stories

What should I start with?

• 2LS - 4.5LS (EWG)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GS (Explain Which Gen)

• RX (EWG(s))

• 3ES, 4ES ( developed during 1991-2001)

• Total voters

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
And when I say personnel, I mean Toyota engineers and designers, who feel I am encouraging violation of their contractual obligations (or want me to pay them too handsomely:mad:)

Reactions
Annoyingly it has taken me 12 full months to start doing this :pensive:, but I will try to get on finishing up within 10 days. Cannot figure if one thread per model will suffice or condensing it all into one post. Starting with 200B is a bigger challenge for me, as I can't say all the darn questions about this car have been 100% answered. I am really annoyed with this unusually long LS 500 rollout, partly why I might have avoided the LS first .
View attachment 2836

I don't think you'll find that, unless Team One has it or maybe some archive. Would be really cool to see it.

Looking at the rear of this LS prototype (?), I'd much prefer this red light cover versus the productions rear lights. The chrome bit actually looks more elegant here.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Looking at the rear of this LS prototype (?), I'd much prefer this red light cover versus the productions rear lights. The chrome bit actually looks more elegant here.

This was the 2014 1:1 final mockup, in probably fibreglass? When we started hearing about the car in summer of 2014. Basically final exterior was frozen, but the reverse lamp design was revised prior to final evaluation prototypes in 2016. I agree with you on it looking cleaner, wait until you see the final choice before design freeze.

Reactions: CIF

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Alright everybody, it starts. @krew and co., please feel welcome to move individual stories to different threads if need be. Starting with LS 500 design process from January 2012 to June 2014.

I'll preface with this:

After 11 years of more emotion, the flagship saloon representing Japan has reached a full-model change, a very long-awaited full model change. Although it is the same LS, the new model was not merely a normal evolution from the predecessor. One of the changes is a transformation to a bold coupe silhouette. Including interior cockpit feeling, it is the impression that as a whole it became a personal car, more sexy. I asked the development team the purpose and intent of the concept...

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
There are some very special development photos, that are extremely off-limits from being shared off of this site and will be labeled as such, because I am contemplating if I even have permission to use them. It is why I waited such a longtime, feeling this story was too incomplete amd there was more I hadn't found yet. In a few months, I can report on ES development.

In most cases these will be design photos, as opposed to prototype testing.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
As always, the pics and information are all greatly appreciated. I understand that your 5LS information may be incomplete, given that the timeline for the whole project and details regarding the project have many mysteries.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
I thought it was going to be a separate mega thread and was highly anticipating that. But now that I know its here, keep posting! Love to hear the mindset and philosophy behind the LS500.

Is there any background information on how corporate expected this to go? Perhaps slow at first since its a different direction for the segment. How much are they invested into this new emotional/sexy/personal LS before they feel it is not as successful as it should be and begin to make future changes for more room, more luxury, taller, etc...

Reactions
well spent some time behind the wheel of the 19 ES in every different flavor. its a damn nice car, but it isnt a GS killer. HOWEVER, the es f-sport is one hell of a car! ill be writing a thing up on it here soon.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
As always, the pics and information are all greatly appreciated. I understand that your 5LS information may be incomplete, given that the timeline for the whole project and details regarding the project have many mysteries.
I thought it was going to be a separate mega thread and was highly anticipating that. But now that I know its here, keep posting! Love to hear the mindset and philosophy behind the LS500.

Is there any background information on how corporate expected this to go? Perhaps slow at first since its a different direction for the segment. How much are they invested into this new emotional/sexy/personal LS before they feel it is not as successful as it should be and begin to make future changes for more room, more luxury, taller, etc...
Thirded, I didn't reply because I was waiting for more :)
Same here! Definitely waiting to read and see more of your exclusive pics and insider insights.

Yeah, thanks everyone and sorry about that. I ran into some many more photos of the development process (like suffocating-ly double what I previously had), that I need to ask special permission to make them only viewable to registered users. Plus very contradictory information, from a leading designer at Lexus HQ, Yo Hiruta.

According to chief engineer, his expectation was that the 200B program was: Over 2 years to design starting in December 2011, but hopefully just 3 years spent engineering the final body. The car got delayed a quarter and half by Akio Toyoda after that statement was made by him at reveal in 2017. Yet Hiruta is making claims, contrary to what I have observed and noted from others.

I need to consult with krew or any moderator on privacy concerns, specifically relating to the LS story. Other generations and models, I am not so worried about. The 5LS design story requires some things a little different.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah, thanks everyone and sorry about that. I ran into some many more photos of the development process (like suffocating-ly double what I previously had), that I need to ask special permission to make them only viewable to registered users. Plus very contradictory information, from a leading designer at Lexus HQ, Yo Hiruta.

According to chief engineer, his expectation was that the 200B program was: Over 2 years to design starting in December 2011, but hopefully just 3 years spent engineering the final body. The car got delayed a quarter and half by Akio Toyoda after that statement was made by him at reveal in 2017. Yet Hiruta is making claims, contrary to what I have observed and noted from others.

I need to consult with krew or any moderator on privacy concerns, specifically relating to the LS story. Other generations and models, I am not so worried about. The 5LS design story requires some things a little different.

I wonder if some of the contradictions have to do with GA-L development in general, given the shared GA-L platform development with the LC. Logically, before starting design on the 5LS, a platform needed to be ready to go essentially.