Lexus Developing Twin-Turbo Hybrid Powertrain?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Debuting the new LS engine in a truck seems so undignified. But if it goes fast we'll cope :)

i wonder if this engine exists at all... it is way too expensive to put in a Tundra... sounds like a pipe dream to me.

LS500h is already too expensive... add $5-$10k to its end price?

New Land Cruiser is going to get current 500h powertrain, not twin turbos.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
i wonder if this engine exists at all... it is way too expensive to put in a Tundra... sounds like a pipe dream to me.

Wait and see. I assume Tundra may not have multi-stage gearbox - who knows? And I have no idea how you accommodate towing with a CVT, if it's to use one. But the Tundra has been delayed for "Twin turbo V6 + hybrid system for combined MPG in the mid-20s." This is equal parts technology advancement, segment differentiation and to address shopper complaints about fuel economy.

I'm not sure that is correct. From what I understand, Tundra will debut first and there is no way they are going to give the Tundra the superior drivetrain over Land Cruiser, nor would it make much financial sense to separate them. I know V35A-FTS is planned as the base engine for LX, Land Cruiser, Tundra and Sequoia - I assume this hybrid will be one of the more expensive engine options. However, it is definitely coming and TMC folks are very excited about it.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
And I have no idea how you accommodate towing with a CVT, if it's to use one.

That's the point of the multistage, to give a wider ratio of range to accommodate towing. CVTs are theoretically the best transmission for towing-except they are too lossy, hold too little torque, and (usually) have a narrow ratio range. The 4AT can be configured to include a low-range, drive gear, towing gear, and cruise gear. The flexibility is there.

As someone working on Toyota's hybrids have pointed out, the bottleneck with hybrids on trucks is durability of the electrical components. Towing is way more punishing than city driving involving long duration of high output. A power-split hybrid with multi-stage could work, except it will not be the ideal implementation. The system would have to be over-engineered to the point the additional weight and complexity would nullify the benefits. Everything from the motors, power electronics, wiring, and batteries need to be under-rated, over-provisioned, and environmentally-sealed.

A simpler solution is P2, ICE connected to a 10 speed Auto with an integrated starter generator, or P4, a motor integrated in the rear axle for extra torque and KERS. These could be implemented either as mild or full hybrids, for less MPG benefit compared to power-split. But we know Toyota is committed to PS and is a strong opponent of P2 or P4. Honestly I think either P2 or P4 works better, and that's the direction competitors are going in.

That being said, seeing how SUVs and trucks are increasingly used as replacement for passenger vehicles instead of their original application, Toyota can get away with engineering a suboptimal solution just for the MPG. But we are talking about the Land Cruiser here, and 'insufficient' is not a word related to that vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions
Wait and see. I assume Tundra may not have multi-stage gearbox - who knows? And I have no idea how you accommodate towing with a CVT, if it's to use one. But the Tundra has been delayed for "Twin turbo V6 + hybrid system for combined MPG in the mid-20s." This is equal parts technology advancement, segment differentiation and to address shopper complaints about fuel economy.

I'm not sure that is correct. From what I understand, Tundra will debut first and there is no way they are going to give the Tundra the superior drivetrain over Land Cruiser, nor would it make much financial sense to separate them. I know V35A-FTS is planned as the base engine for LX, Land Cruiser, Tundra and Sequoia - I assume this hybrid will be one of the more expensive engine options. However, it is definitely coming and TMC folks are very excited about it.

STILL. NO. NEWS. OF. V8?????????

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

I already got more than one confirmation and even I posted the first time confirmation from Russian executive in a dealership

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
Sure, but a lot of people's commutes *do* fit into even a relatively small EV range. Mine's less than 5 miles and my work has free-for-employees EV charging stations so something like that would work extremely well for me.
Wouldn't it be better buying an i-road, instead of having to drive a huge mass of steel for such a short distance?

Reactions
Not a word, aside from the rumored Lexus F TTV8.
As I said long time ago Lexus F TTV8 is a 4.4L engine . Many engine plans at the beginning but 4.4L is more likely for now. I dont know the horse power but 600+ is safe.
The engine will equip for LC F LS F and LS600. Yeah all new LS600 for NA market with detune V8TT. Probably you will see all these cars late of this year.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
As I said long time ago Lexus F TTV8 is a 4.4L engine . Many engine plans at the beginning but 4.4L is more likely for now. I dont know the horse power but 600+ is safe.
The engine will equip for LC F LS F and LS600. Yeah all new LS600 for NA market with detune V8TT. Probably you will see all these cars late of this year.
What is the source of the info?

Reactions
Source?Someone’s name or magzine? Come on , I just wanna share what I heard.
GS was definitely gone. Next IS is still in development. ES will have 4wd system for northern people. If you want to buy a Japanese FR seden something like the replacement of GS, may be you can wait for the next FUGA.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Source?Someone’s name or magzine? Come on , I just wanna share what I heard.
GS was definitely gone. Next IS is still in development. ES will have 4wd system for northern people. If you want to buy a Japanese FR seden something like the replacement of GS, may be you can wait for the next FUGA.
If the info is just rumor no point on posting. As comes to FR sedan I would recommend Crown RS. It's long way to new Fuga. Also from Nissan, rumors say Skyline would become again Japan only model (answering to succes of the new Crown) with a coupe. As matter of fact, bestcarweb.jp stated that R36 would be Skyline coupe.