Lexus August 2017 Sales Report

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If Lexus has any hope of catching up to Mercedes and BMW in the next few years, they need:

UX
Base I4
Turbo I4
Hybrid I4

NX
Base Turbo I4
Hybrid I4
V6
NX F

RX
Base V6
Upmarket turbo V6
Hybrid V6
RX F

RX L
Base V6
Upmarket turbo V6
Hybrid V6

GA-L Based GX
Base turbo V6
Multi-Stage Hybrid V6
Optional V8
GX F

LX
Base TT V6
Optional V8

IS SportCross

GS SportCross
I would say ES SportCross, but basing this on the more performance-oriented GS would be a good way to distance it from the RX.

The Germans are churning out so many new SUVs so quickly that Lexus won't be able to keep up unless there is a massive product onslaught AND diversification in the next few years. We need more engine options, more F and maybe even off-road packages a la TRD Pro for GX and LX.

BMW is in a slump right now but they are also preparing new X2, X3, X5 and X7.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If Lexus has any hope of catching up to Mercedes and BMW in the next few years, they need:

UX
Base I4
Turbo I4
Hybrid I4

NX
Base Turbo I4
Hybrid I4
V6
NX F

RX
Base V6
Upmarket turbo V6
Hybrid V6
RX F

RX L
Base V6
Upmarket turbo V6
Hybrid V6

GA-L Based GX
Base turbo V6
Multi-Stage Hybrid V6
Optional V8
GX F

LX
Base TT V6
Optional V8

You've just proposed way too many high-powered gas-only trims and F-cars than what's necessary. That's why big corporations like TMC don't take enthusiasts too seriously because they just think performance cars are as simple as slapping a bigger engine and profit, except they aren't.

Just because MB offers an AMG in every SUV line it sells doesn't mean Lexus needs to follow with F-SUVs everywhere, maybe except at the very top. High performance models generally require the base models to be overengineered to accomodate the larger drivetrain and to have enough body rigidity to be drivable. Remember the UX/NX/RX are pretty much upscaled Toyotas so the platform has to be low-cost and low-labor. Lexus is already struggling to keep the NX and RX in stock, making them shrink in volume to be "F-ready" is out of the question.

Let's start with the UX; we all know what will end up in it given the registered trademarks: a 200, a 250, and a 250h. The UX by no means needs 8AR-level of power given how small it is. The 2.5 Dynamic Force is already sufficient to give it hothatch-like acceleration. An overwhelming amount of UX sold world wide will be the 200 (in Asia), followed by the 250h (in Europe). The 250 is just there to appease a few Americans who absolutely need to do highway pulls.

The NX doesn't need a V6 because a 3.0 won't be more powerful than the 2.0T, a 3.5 is too big for many markets, and a 3.0TT is not compact enough. It needs more hybrid options, PHEV, BEV, FCEV, or whatever clean technology TMC could throw at it. However, given just how important NX has become, a half serious F effort could be a possibility, but one that people will hate because at the end of the day it's a super RAV4.

The RX/RX-L needs a 2.0T, a budget hybrid, and an upscale hybrid. The second one is an obvious void in the current RX's lineup.

The "GA-L" GX is the best candidate for a true upscale and performance-oriented SUV, fully ditching its offroad focus to go head on against the X5/6. GX-F is the high performance SUV that makes the most amount of sense. The LX is already ridiculously expensive so an F/"uberoffroad" model won't be impossible either.

You see, Lexus could keep its gas-devouring dinosaurs we all love (GS-F/LC500/LX570 etc.) alive because their mass market hybrids are vegetarian MPG champions. Who would love to see the naturally aspirated wonder in the LC500 go away? It's there because of CT200h/ES300h/NX300h feeding all the gas it wants. With ridiculously strict CAFE regulations being introduced in 2020s around the world it makes obvious sense for Lexus to no longer offer high powered gas-only mass market vehicles and commit to hybrids.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
You've just proposed way too many high-powered gas-only trims and F-cars than what's necessary. That's why big corporations like TMC don't take enthusiasts too seriously because they just think performance cars are as simple as slapping a bigger engine and profit, except they aren't.

Just because MB offers an AMG in every SUV line it sells doesn't mean Lexus needs to follow with F-SUVs everywhere, maybe except at the very top. High performance models generally require the base models to be overengineered to accomodate the larger drivetrain and to have enough body rigidity to be drivable. Remember the UX/NX/RX are pretty much upscaled Toyotas so the platform has to be low-cost and low-labor. Lexus is already struggling to keep the NX and RX in stock, making them shrink in volume to be "F-ready" is out of the question.

Let's start with the UX; we all know what will end up in it given the registered trademarks: a 200, a 250, and a 250h. The UX by no means needs 8AR-level of power given how small it is. The 2.5 Dynamic Force is already sufficient to give it hothatch-like acceleration. An overwhelming amount of UX sold world wide will be the 200 (in Asia), followed by the 250h (in Europe). The 250 is just there to appease a few Americans who absolutely need to do highway pulls.

The NX doesn't need a V6 because a 3.0 won't be more powerful than the 2.0T, a 3.5 is too big for many markets, and a 3.0TT is not compact enough. It needs more hybrid options, PHEV, BEV, FCEV, or whatever clean technology TMC could throw at it. However, given just how important NX has become, a half serious F effort could be a possibility, but one that people will hate because at the end of the day it's a super RAV4.

The RX/RX-L needs a 2.0T, a budget hybrid, and an upscale hybrid. The second one is an obvious void in the current RX's lineup.

The "GA-L" GX is the best candidate for a true upscale and performance-oriented SUV, fully ditching its offroad focus to go head on against the X5/6. GX-F is the high performance SUV that makes the most amount of sense. The LX is already ridiculously expensive so an F/"uberoffroad" model won't be impossible either.

You see, Lexus could keep its gas-devouring dinosaurs we all love (GS-F/LC500/LX570 etc.) alive because their mass market hybrids are vegetarian MPG champions. Who would love to see the naturally aspirated wonder in the LC500 go away? It's there because of CT200h/ES300h/NX300h feeding all the gas it wants. With ridiculously strict CAFE regulations being introduced in 2020s around the world it makes obvious sense for Lexus to no longer offer high powered gas-only mass market vehicles and commit to hybrids.

Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio (coming)
Audi SQ3
Audi SQ5
Audi SQ7
BMW X3 M (coming)
BMW X4 M40i
BMW X5 M
BMW X6 M
Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport
Jaguar F-Pace SVR (coming)
Maserati Levante
Maserati Levante S
Mercedes- AMG GLC43
Mercedes- AMG GLC63
Mercedes- AMG GLC43 Coupe
Mercedes- AMG GLE43
Mercedes- AMG GLE63
Mercedes- AMG GLE63 S
Mercedes- AMG GLE43 Coupe
Mercedes- AMG GLE63 S Coupe
Mercedes- AMG GLS63
Mercedes-AMG G63
Mercedes-AMG G65
Porsche Macan
Morsche Macan S
Porsche Macan GTS
Porsche Macan Turbo
Porsche Macan Turbo w/ Performance Package
Porsche Cayenne
Porsche Cayenne S
Porsche Cayenne GTS
Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Range Rover Sport SVR
Range Rover Velar
Range Rover Velar SVR (coming)

Tell me again how Lexus doesn't need high-power, performance SUVs?

While I greatly appreciate your more international view, I completely disagree with your viewpoint. It isn't just Mercedes making high powered SUVs - it's everyone. And if Lexus decides to not follow suit, they'll simply be seen as a second or third tier brand - even moreso as consumer buying tastes continue to shift towards SUVs.

The people who bought GS Fs and RC Fs... what's Lexus going to do when those folks decide they too want an SUV? An RX F Sport? LOL.

Lexus introduced the first unibody luxury SUV 20 years ago and it has yet to break 310 horsepower. Jaguar, brand new to the game, is about to pick up the book and throw it in Lexus' face with a V8 F-Pace SVR.

Does anyone need AMG, M, V, RS, Black Series, whatever? No, they don't. But guess what - they do sell to a select group of people, and even for many of the folks who can't afford them, they create a halo effect for the model line and the brand as a whole. That's only a good thing.

The NX absolutely needs a V6 - the 2.0T is not nearly as refined or powerful as a small displacement V6, nor is it even really efficient. That power plant in the NX is a lose-lose. Audi, Mercedes and BMW all offer a 320+hp version of their compact ute and the NX is literally just a "super Rav4" as you put it.

Put simply, Lexus needs to get out of the vacuum they've spent 15 years in, and put an SUV or two on GA-L before it's too late. Building "super Rav4s" and "super Highlanders" is great for people for who are cross shopping against has-been brands like Acura, Buick and Infiniti. If Lexus wants the "share of mind" from the person shopping for an X5, GLS, Cayenne, Macan or any of the other names I mentioned above, they need a complete strategy shift with more models, more diversification and more packages.

If the ES does indeed replace the GS as Lexus' defacto midsize sedan, they're going to be fighting the same battle. I bet if you put premium in the 2GR-FKS from the Camry, it might bump you up to 306hp? 306hp ES vs 600hp M5 and E63. Sorry, but I'm laughing.

If TNGA is really as strong and flexible as Toyota says, they need to come up with an ACTIVE All-Wheel-Drive system that will split torque between the front and rear wheels on a continual basis, vs. something like DTC AWD that requires a loss of traction or reverts to FWD as the default. A 360HP NX on TNGA with active AWD would be perfect for NX F. Stroke the motor a little more for 450hp in an RX F with the same AWD system. It can work - Audi does it and has for years. That's a cheap and easy solution vs. building a performance ute from the ground up as RWD (which, as you know, is also much more expensive.)

Your point about more hybrid models is great and I'd love to see them combine plug in, hybrid and ICE for some real performance monsters that also get 35+MPG... but that's a long shot as Lexus lost their flag-bearing position with hybrids several years ago. We need a multi-stage 4cyl hybrid, plug-in, multi-stage V8 hybrid, etc. I don't really care where the power/performance gains come from as long as they materialize.

The next two years will be "make it or break it" for Lexus' "good enough" strategy with dressing up Toyota cars. LC and LS are steps in the right direction - but now its time to fill out the rest of the portfolio from the top-down. Lexus is either about about to step up and join BMW, Mercedes and Audi, or fall backwards into the same ranks as Cadillac, Acura and Infiniti. There's no more in-between - the Germans have completely raised the stakes on what it means to be and build a luxury car.

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio (coming)
Audi SQ3
Audi SQ5
Audi SQ7
BMW X3 M (coming)
BMW X4 M40i
BMW X5 M
BMW X6 M
Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport
Jaguar F-Pace SVR (coming)
Maserati Levante
Maserati Levante S
Mercedes- AMG GLC43
Mercedes- AMG GLC63
Mercedes- AMG GLC43 Coupe
Mercedes- AMG GLE43
Mercedes- AMG GLE63
Mercedes- AMG GLE63 S
Mercedes- AMG GLE43 Coupe
Mercedes- AMG GLE63 S Coupe
Mercedes- AMG GLS63
Mercedes-AMG G63
Mercedes-AMG G65
Porsche Macan
Morsche Macan S
Porsche Macan GTS
Porsche Macan Turbo
Porsche Macan Turbo w/ Performance Package
Porsche Cayenne
Porsche Cayenne S
Porsche Cayenne GTS
Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Range Rover Sport SVR
Range Rover Velar
Range Rover Velar SVR (coming)

While I greatly appreciate your more international view, I completely disagree with your viewpoint. It isn't just Mercedes making high powered SUVs - it's everyone. And if Lexus decides to not follow suit, they'll simply be seen as a second or third tier brand - even moreso as consumer buying tastes continue to shift towards SUVs.

The people who bought GS Fs and RC Fs... what's Lexus going to do when those folks decide they too want an SUV? An RX F Sport? LOL.

Lexus introduced the first unibody luxury SUV 20 years ago and it has yet to break 310 horsepower. Jaguar, brand new to the game, is about to pick up the book and throw it in Lexus' face with a V8 F-Pace SVR.

Does anyone need AMG, M, V, RS, Black Series, whatever? No, they don't. But guess what - they do sell to a select group of people, and even for many of the folks who can't afford them, they create a halo effect for the model line and the brand as a whole. That's only a good thing.

The NX absolutely needs a V6 - the 2.0T is not nearly as refined or powerful as a small displacement V6, nor is it even really efficient. That power plant in the NX is a lose-lose. Audi, Mercedes and BMW all offer a 320+hp version of their compact ute and the NX is literally just a "super Rav4" as you put it.

Put simply, Lexus needs to get out of the vacuum they've spent 15 years in, and put an SUV or two on GA-L before it's too late. Building "super Rav4s" and "super Highlanders" is great for people for who are cross shopping against has-been brands like Acura, Buick and Infiniti. If Lexus wants the "share of mind" from the person shopping for an X5, GLS, Cayenne, Macan or any of the other names I mentioned above, they need a complete strategy shift with more models, more diversification and more packages.

If the ES does indeed replace the GS as Lexus' defacto midsize sedan, they're going to be fighting the same battle. I bet if you put premium in the 2GR-FKS from the Camry, it might bump you up to 306hp? 306hp ES vs 600hp M5 and E63. Sorry, but I'm laughing.

If TNGA is really as strong and flexible as Toyota says, they need to come up with an ACTIVE All-Wheel-Drive system that will split torque between the front and rear wheels on a continual basis, vs. something like DTC AWD that requires a loss of traction or reverts to FWD as the default. A 360HP NX on TNGA with active AWD would be perfect for NX F. Stroke the motor a little more for 450hp in an RX F with the same AWD system. It can work - Audi does it and has for years. That's a cheap and easy solution vs. building a performance ute from the ground up as RWD (which, as you know, is also much more expensive.)

Your point about more hybrid models is great and I'd love to see them combine plug in, hybrid and ICE for some real performance monsters that also get 35+MPG... but that's a long shot as Lexus lost their flag-bearing position with hybrids several years ago. We need a multi-stage 4cyl hybrid, plug-in, multi-stage V8 hybrid, etc. I don't really care where the power/performance gains come from as long as they materialize.

The next two years will be "make it or break it" for Lexus' "good enough" strategy with dressing up Toyota cars. LC and LS are steps in the right direction - but now its time to fill out the rest of the portfolio from the top-down. Lexus is either about about to step up and join BMW, Mercedes and Audi, or fall backwards into the same ranks as Cadillac, Acura and Infiniti. There's no more in-between - the Germans have completely raised the stakes on what it means to be and build a luxury car.

You both have solid arguments. But Gecko is right. Eventually Lexus would have to step up their SUV game if they want to keep competing with the Germans. That's why am really hoping they think ahead with the production of the UX. the same way the ISF was the first F car they can make the UX debut with the first F SUV. Just give it an AWD system. then they can work their way up just the way they did with the GS and now probably the LS.

If the new trend is SUV then they will need to make their small SUV more playful. AWD system with Camry engine is a good starting point.

Last edited:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
You both have solid arguments. But Gecko is right. Eventually Lexus would have to step up their SUV game if they want to keep competing with the Germans. That's why am really hoping they think ahead with the production of the UX. the same way the ISF was the first F car they can make the UX debut with the first F SUV. Just give it an AWD system. then they can work their way up just the way they did with the GS and now probably the LS.

If the new trend is SUV then they will need to make their small SUV more playful. AWD system with Camry engine is a good starting point.

If they come out with a UXF I'm buying it Day 1!

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
If they come out with a UXF I'm buying it Day 1!

Yeah the UX is a clean slate for Lexus and a perfect chance for them to show their intentions for future SUV.
Also Lexus would eventually need a 3.0TT engine I feel that would be the perfect engine to replace all their 3.5L engines.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I would so get a GX F. Lexus needs to expand the F line.

IS F (bring it back asap)
GS F
RC F
LC F
LS F (bring it on)
GX F (first Lexus F SUV which can go head to head with BMW's X5 M and X6 M)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

You see, the difference in our views comes from our prediction on Lexus' future. I'm overall pessimistic with the brand seeing how sloppy Lexus executed the LS launch with three very questionable powertrain options (other aspects are almost perfect). Don't get me wrong, deep in my heart I absolutely would love to see high performance SUVs from Lexus. But it will take time for its corporate culture to catch up with Akio's vision. Getting out of an individual's comfort zone is already hard, combine that with billions at stake, you see how excruciating it must be to steer a mega corporation into another direction. This is especially true with Japanese corporations where changes are almost impossible, very painful indeed. Nissan has close to zero R&D except the BEV program and leave all the problems to Renault, the result is them leaving Infiniti to lay down and die.

The problem with TMC is how much they procrastinated on drivetrain development in the past decade. Sure the Dynamic Force is the engineering marvel of 2017, but it will be nothing when other players come up with HCCI ICEs around 2020, and then we'll have to wait another five or so years for TMC's response. Some people say Dynamic Force is a Skyactiv that's five years too late, and I can't disagree. Mazda is leading the charge to HCCI with Skyactiv X, and MB will follow shortly after.

In another post I mentioned that playing catch-up in the hyper-turbo-power-arms-race now is too late and too dear for Lexus. Their best way for breakthrough is utilizing its hybrid prowess and build serious high performance hybrid models. Unfortunately TMC, again, is two or three years behind the industry in battery technology because of the billions they spent on the castle in the sky called hydrogen fuel cells. The 2020 solid state battery may be the turning point, but solid state batteries are not optimized for power density.

I will remain pessimistic until I see solid information on TMC's two most important engines: the 3.0V6 turbo and the 2.0 Dynamic Force. If we see any GR or AR appear in any new models again, sorry, it's game over for Lexus.

You guys keep saying Lexus should "just" do this or that, "just a bigger engine", "just a F-model", "just an AWD system" etc. The problem is that Lexus couldn't "just do it" because its owner TMC wasn't proactively developing the technologies for it. The fact that Lexus has Toyota dragging its feet is exactly why it couldn't go head on against the Germans (yeah, there's Audi but Audi lags behind MB and BMW because of VW as well).

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
You see, the difference in our views comes from our prediction on Lexus' future. I'm overall pessimistic with the brand seeing how sloppy Lexus executed the LS launch with three very questionable powertrain options (other aspects are almost perfect). Don't get me wrong, deep in my heart I absolutely would love to see high performance SUVs from Lexus. But it will take time for its corporate culture to catch up with Akio's vision. Getting out of an individual's comfort zone is already hard, combine that with billions at stake, you see how excruciating it must be to steer a mega corporation into another direction. This is especially true with Japanese corporations where changes are almost impossible, very painful indeed. Nissan has close to zero R&D except the BEV program and leave all the problems to Renault, the result is them leaving Infiniti to lay down and die.

The problem with TMC is how much they procrastinated on drivetrain development in the past decade. Sure the Dynamic Force is the engineering marvel of 2017, but it will be nothing when other players come up with HCCI ICEs around 2020, and then we'll have to wait another five or so years for TMC's response. Some people say Dynamic Force is a Skyactiv that's five years too late, and I can't disagree. Mazda is leading the charge to HCCI with Skyactiv X, and MB will follow shortly after.

In another post I mentioned that playing catch-up in the hyper-turbo-power-arms-race now is too late and too dear for Lexus. Their best way for breakthrough is utilizing its hybrid prowess and build serious high performance hybrid models. Unfortunately TMC, again, is two or three years behind the industry in battery technology because of the billions they spent on the castle in the sky called hydrogen fuel cells. The 2020 solid state battery may be the turning point, but solid state batteries are not optimized for power density.

I will remain pessimistic until I see solid information on TMC's two most important engines: the 3.0V6 turbo and the 2.0 Dynamic Force. If we see any GR or AR appear in any new models again, sorry, it's game over for Lexus.

Great post - I agree with you 100%!

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions

You guys keep saying Lexus should "just" do this or that, "just a bigger engine", "just a F-model", "just an AWD system" etc. The problem is that Lexus couldn't "just do it" because its owner TMC wasn't proactively developing the technologies for it. The fact that Lexus has Toyota dragging its feet is exactly why it couldn't go head on against the Germans (yeah, there's Audi but Audi lags behind MB and BMW because of VW as well).

I understand your point. And that's why I said the UX is the best way for Lexus to start. Its a brand new car so Lexus should take advantage of that do it right the first time. They shouldn't have to play catch up. the SUV trend is just picking up. Just an opinion.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

This is SUCH a great point I just had to quote it.

Both of these engines would look great in a subcompact crossover -- I truly believe the UX will be the turning point either way for Lexus. It has to be the engines that are delaying the release, no?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This is SUCH a great point I just had to quote it.

Both of these engines would look great in a subcompact crossover -- I truly believe the UX will be the turning point either way for Lexus. It has to be the engines that are delaying the release, no?

What exactly is Lexus turning from in USA? For Europe, yes, it needs more lower spec, cheaper models like UX. For China, it needs local models, but for USA, it is competing on level basis and needs big crossover, something it does not need anywhere else.

As to the TMC being behind on HCCI and battery, HCCI is not even available yet (i have been reading about it in Europe since mid 90's) and EV cars except for Tesla are bottom barrel while TMC sells more than 1.5m hybrids per year.

It might not be tomorrows tech, but it is hard to fault TMC when they sell more electrified vehicles (to use Volvo terms) than everyone else, and most of them combined.

Most of the German luxury vehicles will have mild-hybrid setups after 2020, these are low tech 48v systems designed to increase economy in the city by 20% and nothing like full hybrid technology from TMC.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
As to the TMC being behind on HCCI and battery, HCCI is not even available yet (i have been reading about it in Europe since mid 90's) and EV cars except for Tesla are bottom barrel while TMC sells more than 1.5m hybrids per year.

It might not be tomorrows tech, but it is hard to fault TMC when they sell more electrified vehicles (to use Volvo terms) than everyone else, and most of them combined.

Most of the German luxury vehicles will have mild-hybrid setups after 2020, these are low tech 48v systems designed to increase economy in the city by 20% and nothing like full hybrid technology from TMC.

Mazda will have Skyactiv-X ready in 2019, just two years after Dynamic Force launch, and right now Mazda is testing mules with actual engines running. A 20% thermodynamic efficiency improvement over Skyactiv-G (Mazda never specified the numbers, but an educated guess would be 38%) will leave Dynamic Force in the dust.

The strength of the 48/42V mild-hybrids is that they come at much lower cost and cold climate performance penalty than full hybrids. They are there to replace gas-only models, not hybrids. I expect TMC to do the same, but maybe after the solid state batteries (that can operate in cold weather) are available.

I wasn't entirely correct when I stated TMC is two years behind industry average in battery tech. HEV batteries are very different from BEV batteries since they have to sacrifice a lot of energy density for power density. This, combined with TMC's very cautious approach with their state-of-charge management, gives a false sense that TMC's hybrid batteries have poor specs. To do them justice I should have said they are on par with the industry but two years behind Tesla only.

The LC500h's multi-stage hybrid has a very exciting Li-ion battery with 1 kW/kg power density on the package level. No other manufacturer gets even close to this number (Tesla currently caps out at 750 W/kg). The F1/LMP1 hybrid batteries are the only ones that are more powerful. But it's still not really enough since Lexus will have to take a 45 kg weight penalty for every 60 hp gained.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Mazda will have Skyactiv-X ready in 2019, just two years after Dynamic Force launch, and right now Mazda is testing mules with actual engines running. A 20% thermodynamic efficiency improvement over Skyactiv-G (Mazda never specified the numbers, but an educated guess would be 38%) will leave Dynamic Force in the dust.

The strength of the 48/42V mild-hybrids is that they come at much lower cost and cold climate performance penalty than full hybrids. They are there to replace gas-only models, not hybrids. I expect TMC to do the same, but maybe after the solid state batteries (that can operate in cold weather) are available.

I wasn't entirely correct when I stated TMC is two years behind industry average in battery tech. HEV batteries are very different from BEV batteries since they have to sacrifice a lot of energy density for power density. This, combined with TMC's very cautious approach with their state-of-charge management, gives a false sense that TMC's hybrid batteries have poor specs. To do them justice I should have said they are on par with the industry but two years behind Tesla only.

The LC500h's multi-stage hybrid has a very exciting Li-ion battery with 1 kW/kg power density on the package level. No other manufacturer gets even close to this number (Tesla currently caps out at 750 W/kg). The F1/LMP1 hybrid batteries are the only ones that are more powerful. But it's still not really enough since Lexus will have to take a 45 kg weight penalty for every 60 hp gained.

48v hybrids are half arsed solutions that luckily TMC does not have to use... there is nothing good about 48v hybrids - they are half solutions for companies that failed to invest into hybrid technology when time was right. Problem for them is that they have to buy hybrid tech from suppliers, and that makes it way more expensive than TMC's. Even Nissan has developed good hybrid system apparently, and Renault will get access to that. So main manufacturers left without competitive hybrids are germans and now you see all these PR articles how by 2025 they will have a billion EVs available as well as mild hybrids.

As to the HCCI, I was actually pretty surprised how little there is gain compared to current engines. Maybe due to longetivity/performance? Considering they have to use kompressors, they will be fairly expensive, certainly more expensive than their current skyactive ones (according to mazda).

20% increase on 38% is certainly not possible either. All the reviews pointed around 40 MPG (UK) during test drives, which is not bad, not nothing close to hybrid mileage those same mags get when testing latest TMC hybrids (in prius usually they pointed out about 50 to 60 uk mpg). Besides, Mazda is not TMC competitor, if anything it will likely become bigger part of TMC in few years, just like Subaru.

So yeah, nothing is leaving those dynamic force engines in dust, especially not when paired with HSD like in new Camry. Now lets put that engine asap into all of Lexus 4cly lineup.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
48v hybrids are half arsed solutions that luckily TMC does not have to use... there is nothing good about 48v hybrids - they are half solutions for companies that failed to invest into hybrid technology when time was right. Problem for them is that they have to buy hybrid tech from suppliers, and that makes it way more expensive than TMC's. Even Nissan has developed good hybrid system apparently, and Renault will get access to that. So main manufacturers left without competitive hybrids are germans and now you see all these PR articles how by 2025 they will have a billion EVs available as well as mild hybrids.

As to the HCCI, I was actually pretty surprised how little there is gain compared to current engines. Maybe due to longetivity/performance? Considering they have to use kompressors, they will be fairly expensive, certainly more expensive than their current skyactive ones (according to mazda).

20% increase on 38% is certainly not possible either. All the reviews pointed around 40 MPG (UK) during test drives, which is not bad, not nothing close to hybrid mileage those same mags get when testing latest TMC hybrids (in prius usually they pointed out about 50 to 60 uk mpg). Besides, Mazda is not TMC competitor, if anything it will likely become bigger part of TMC in few years, just like Subaru.

So yeah, nothing is leaving those dynamic force engines in dust, especially not when paired with HSD like in new Camry. Now lets put that engine asap into all of Lexus 4cly lineup.

The reason why majority of the automotive industry could not make proper full hybrids is that they couldn't legally do so. TMC set the barrier extremely high twenty years ago through an extensive network of patents that precludes any other manufacturer from developing practical hybrid solutions. 2017 is the year when most of these patents will expire, and as a result, we will expect a boom in hybrid cars in the next five years. Of course TMC will still be very dominant with two decades of experience. The 48/42v systems are there to meet CAFE regulations, since it's the easiest short-term solution to get 10% or so extra MPG on gas-only vehicles, they were never intended to compete against full hybrids.

Dynamic Force+HSD will still be the golden standard for efficiency for the next five years. What happens after that entirely depends on how aggressively TMC takes on HCCI. You can say TMC is sandbagging seeing how the Prius uses a very old (but very efficient) ICE. But speculations are just speculations, just because others couldn't legally build hybrids before doesn't mean they don't have the tech pool to have them ready in the very near future.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The reason why majority of the automotive industry could not make proper full hybrids is that they couldn't legally do so. TMC set the barrier extremely high twenty years ago through an extensive network of patents that precludes any other manufacturer from developing practical hybrid solutions. 2017 is the year when most of these patents will expire, and as a result, we will expect a boom in hybrid cars in the next five years. Of course TMC will still be very dominant with two decades of experience. The 48/42v systems are there to meet CAFE regulations, since it's the easiest short-term solution to get 10% or so extra MPG on gas-only vehicles, they were never intended to compete against full hybrids.

Dynamic Force+HSD will still be the golden standard for efficiency for the next five years. What happens after that entirely depends on how aggressively TMC takes on HCCI. You can say TMC is sandbagging seeing how the Prius uses a very old (but very efficient) ICE. But speculations are just speculations, just because others couldn't legally build hybrids before doesn't mean they don't have the tech pool to have them ready in the very near future.

This is first time I have heard that TMC patents prevented other companies from doing hybrids... Nissan has excellent hybrid system, and Hyundai/KIA have decent one. Honda has great hybrid system too. Ford has a good system too and later version does not use Toyota parts. Fords problem is that they focused on profitability so spending billions on new hybrid systems were off the table.

All of them are better than systems from Germans.

So it is only Europeans that do not have hybrid systems that work well, they have PR pieces that they show on TV and talk about on auto shows, but in reality, they sell peanuts. In Europe, VW sells few in few countries where there are big tax breaks, but it is very low numbers overall.

I would say is that real reason is they did not want to spend money into R&D like Toyota and that their home markets preferred diesels, up until this year. So it was more affordable for them to simply do diesels only and then just talk about hybrids, without having to make them in quantity. They show few plugins at auto shows and claim that they will get 30 models in 10 years and thats about it.

But problem is that now there is a big negative attention towards diesels in Europe. Coincidentally, starting on 1.1.2018, turbo petrols will have to have particle filters, which will also increase their price in Europe. Even worse is that from 1.9.2017, new cars introduced will have to have realistic emissions and fuel consumption tests, which also works really bad for small turbo petrols that they have been advertising. So they are between the rock and hard place right now. Hence 48v and claims about "electrification". Fun fact - Volvo mostly sells diesels in Europe, their XC90 sells well but it is only 10k per year, out of 290k of Volvos in Europe.

There are many 48v systems that were tried before and none worked well. Problem with them doing significant amount of hybrids is that they have to pay all these suppliers, where Toyota does most of it in house. So Toyota has competitive advantage and their solution is to talk about mild hybrids are position them as "electrification".

This works well for Toyota, as cost of competitor vehicles goes up with 48v hybrids while TMC technology is still much, much better. Too bad that others are not too well positioned in Europe - Honda has just introduced new hybrid system for CRV (but their sales in Europe are niche). KIA/Hyundai mostly sells cheap cars and Nissan has yet to bring their system to Europe, or outside of Japan.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Dynamic Force+HSD will still be the golden standard for efficiency for the next five years. What happens after that entirely depends on how aggressively TMC takes on HCCI. You can say TMC is sandbagging seeing how the Prius uses a very old (but very efficient) ICE.

btw, did you see TMC teasing C-HR Hy Power concept? It should be latest new, more powerful 4cly hybrid system for their vehicles - likely from new Camry.

As to the Prius, they are not sandbagging anything. Dont be confused by them using ZR block. It is basically completely reworked and setting new standards in efficiency, only block is the same. It has been measured as lower consuming than 2.0tdi at steady speed highway driving (70 MPH) - while previous Prius/ZR was nowhere close - and this is without hybrid system working at all, just gas engine. This is why real life Prius and C-HR are getting awesome mpgs and much better than before, despite same engine block.