Lexus Announces Updated 2018 CT 200h Hatchback

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Do we know if the same engine is used? Or have they switched to the new one from the Prius?

The lack of information on the press releases makes me thing this is just a cosmetic package.

Indeed, no technical changes, only cosmetic.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
What I wouldn't do for a more powerful gasoline engine and an F variant! Perfect for Lexus Enthusiasts on a tight budget (me)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-06-16-lexus-ct-2018-update.jpg

Both USA & Canada have confirmed the cancellation.
View the original article post

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Well. Good riddance then. That was a bit confusing but makes thorough sense.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
What a dam shame that the CT is being discontinued for the North American market. One third of the total worldwide sales of the CT came from the U.S. I guess Lexus doesn't want that piece of the pie. Instead of increasing the model line/variants lets decrease the model lineup. Might as well cancel the GS, IS, LX, RC and maybe in the near future after the hype dies down the LC...let's not stop there...no V8 in a flagship sedan...LS might as well be DOA...

Another wish list I would have like the 2CT to have was a little more horsepower.

CT 200h 150hp~180hp
CT 300h 200hp~250hp

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Possibly a logical decision, however smacks of failure which is disappointing for Lexus owners. However I am beginning to think with the advent of the LC range there could be a dramatic change in focus at Lexus. With the discussion around the dropping of the ES and GS models as we currently know them and a replacement model combing both these models -interesting indeed. The CT never quite did it for me and I suspect a lot of other potential buyers it was neither sporty nor luxurious enough to tempt buyers away from the Germans. Lexus you have shown us the LFA and now the LC bring it on please upscale!

Reactions
They could have sold 800k a year & its still a disappointing hatch imo. Somewhat like an ES. Cash cow but its a no frills, no thrills kinda car. Got all the 411 during our dealership visits. The amount of 'Nothing' of things you can't get in the CT is pretty sad. Tbh, we would have bought it if at minimum they optioned an AWD. Prob won't care what power train or lack of features inside outside. AWD was big deal for us. So.. not a very big fan of this hatch. If they sold the Merc or Bimmer hatches here this would be embarrassed. But thats another story.
I do agree. Replacing/cancelling GS in favor of ES is a major mistake. If Lexus does it, I'm going to buy Jaguar. I planned to replace my current Lex with the next gen of GS, but apparently it's not gonna happen.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Not surprising the CT is not coming to N. America. I will miss it as it served me really well, but CUVs are the hot thing here and the UX will fill in the gap nicely. Case in point, I have already seen a handful of CH-Rs the last few days, more than I have seen CTs in any one week.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
The UX can't come soon enough. We haven't even seen any mules on the road yet. Will the production even be revealed by the end of the year?

I will miss the CT though. Initially, I think I, and a lot of Lexus fans, looked down on the CT after the bitter taste left by the HS but it quickly grew on me. It was a good representation of a Lexus entry-level car. I was looking forward to the next generation as I believe it had potential. If Lexus had any foresight on the explosion of EV and weren't so stubborn on sticking with only Hybrid /Hydrogen, we could've seen a new EV-based CT to combat Tesla's Model 3 in the next couple of years. But because they are late getting to the EV game, they have missed a huge opportunity.

Reactions
The fact that Lexus is only refreshing it for MY18, I'll bet many dealers can't wait to get rid of them, since they sit awhile and the almost oldest car they sell on the lot (other than the GX/LX). I've seen the dealer incentives for as much as $6,000 on it. My friend also told me he got his son to lease one for super cheap, about the cost of leasing a Corolla. Definitely a no-brainer if you want to take advantage of a good deal.

Last edited:

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Mercedes dealer meetings in Miami, confirmed Merc seriously pondering bringing the A-Series hatch stateside. That will force BMW's hand and eventually follow suit to bring over the 1-Series hatch also. Those two have an AMG & ///M for their hatchbacks. I'm sure ToMoCo, Lexus spies already delivered message to HQ about potential competitors. Will Lexus approach the UX with a wait & see what Merc & BMW do? CT's just went bust.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Mercedes dealer meetings in Miami, confirmed Merc seriously pondering bringing the A-Series hatch stateside. That will force BMW's hand and eventually follow suit to bring over the 1-Series hatch also.

The Mercedes A-Class that is coming to the U.S. is NOT the hatchback, but a 3-box sedan version that was unveiled as a concept a couple of months ago at the Shanghai Auto Show. Basically, it will be a cheaper, boxier and roomier alternative to the more 4-door coupesque CLA.

As to the BMW 1-Series, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the current RWD hatchback. The 1-Series is widely expected to go FWD for its next generation. The China-only 1-Series sedan and Europe's 2-Series Active Tourer mini-minivan built on an expanded Mini FWD platform are already on sale. The 1-Series hatch is expected to follow suit within the next year or so.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
The Mercedes A-Class that is coming to the U.S. is NOT the hatchback, but a 3-box sedan version that was unveiled as a concept a couple of months ago at the Shanghai Auto Show. Basically, it will be a cheaper, boxier and roomier alternative to the more 4-door coupesque CLA.

As to the BMW 1-Series, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the current RWD hatchback. The 1-Series is widely expected to go FWD for its next generation. The China-only 1-Series sedan and Europe's 2-Series Active Tourer mini-minivan built on an expanded Mini FWD platform are already on sale. The 1-Series hatch is expected to follow suit within the next year or so.

Again. Its a rumor. And definitely not the 3-box sedan you mentioned. Its the A-Hatchback. In regards to 1-hatchback by BMW, it is known they've switched to FWD but it has AWD as option and thats not a rumor its a fact.

mikeavelli

Reactions

I don't get it. Benz has a CLA and A class coming. BMW has the 2 series variants and 1 series I think. The CT did well here its not like it flopped the entire time, sales slowed as gas price went down and the car got older.

Why cut the CT here. :(

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I don't get it. Benz has a CLA and A class coming. BMW has the 2 series variants and 1 series I think. The CT did well here its not like it flopped the entire time, sales slowed as gas price went down and the car got older.

Why cut the CT here? :(
I think much of the worldwide auto industry right now is grappling with the question of whether B and C-segment crossover SUVs will obliterate their lower-riding hatchback brethren, or if the 2 will manage to coexist. And, as universal as the love of crossovers seems to be, the answer to that question varies by region.

North America seems to lean towards the "crossover will kill the hatchback" narrative more than other regions. An early "canary in the coal mine" in that regard is Mazda. They were all geared up to release the 4th-gen (DJ) Mazda2 here, going as far as showing it at the January 2015 Montréal Auto Show and receiving U.S. EPA fuel economy numbers. Later that year, however, Mazda's Canada and U.S. outposts pulled the plug on the Mazda2, figuring that they'd be spending a chunk of their meager resources on a model with low profit margins and scant sales potential. More sensible to steer the Mazda2's potential customer towards the more profitable Mazda3 or the crossover CX-3.

Also of note is what Infiniti is doing with their entry-level model. Worldwide, it's either a lower-riding hatchback Q30 or a higher-riding, cladding and roof rails-bedecked crossoverish QX30. North America was set to follow this pattern but, again at the last minute, decided to make them all QX30 "crossovers" with varying packages making them more or less "butch".

My personal suspicion of what happened at Lexus? U.S. and Canada became utterly convinced that the upcoming UX line would kill what few CT sales remained, and decided to drop the latter. Japan and Europe took a more cautious, indecisive "wait-and-see" attitude but went the cheap "let's just give CT a second facelift" route as a hedge to see what UX would do to CT sales in those markets during the next 2 or 3 years or so.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
As a proxy for US hatchback sales, the (generally well reviewed) Ford Fiesta did 64,458 sales in 2015 and 48,807 in 2016. The data I'm looking at doesn't break out hatch vs. sedan vs. ST (which is also a hatch), but that's a significant haircut no matter what.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Lexus seriously needs to change a little bit to keep up with it's competition. Here's a suggestion, Lexus doesn't have to follow it, Lexus may not want to follow it. Introduce more models and increase model variants. For example:

RC 200t (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe)
RC 300h (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe) Market to techies, environmentalist, tree huggers, etc. BMW 4 series doesn't have a hybrid.
RC 300 awd (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe)
RC 350 (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe)
RC F (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe) Competes with BMW M4

Bring back the SC

SC 350 (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe)
SC 500h (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe)
SC F (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe) Competes with BMW M6

LC 500h (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe)
LC 500 (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe)
LC F (coupe, convertible, 4 door coupe) Competes with soon to arrive BMW M8

Bring back the LFA with a convertible limited to 500 units worldwide. The 2 door coupe has ran it's course.

This is just with entry, mid-level, flag ship coupe and an exotic. I'll have to create another post for sedans, SUV's and hybrids...

Reactions

Why cut the CT here. :(
I think it is two fold:

1) There isn't an all new CT ready to sell NOW. They spent their R&D budget on the all new UX and the other ones that came/will come (LC, LS), so all they had left in the piggy bank was enough to just give it another face lift. With Mercedes coming strong, I suppose they don't want to sell an old car against something 'new'.

2) With the current CT sales dwindling and needing a huge incentive to sell, I doubt many Lexus dealers wanted to sell an 'old car' any longer, when CTs are taking room away from more NXs and RXs. For bargain hunters, the CT can be had way cheaper than a Prius at the moment with a good MF.

http://jalopnik.com/dead-lexus-ct200h-1795605528
The CT200h probably won’t be missed, but it could be a great value for the right buyer looking for a fuel-efficient luxury car in a small package.

http://jalopnik.com/what-car-had-the-potential-to-be-so-much-better-1795611085
Lexus could have maybe crammed a small turbo under the hood and paired it with a more updated hybrid system for a fast and frugal premium hot-hatchback. Instead, the brand decided that it just wasn’t worth the effort. Let’s be honest, there aren’t many of us who would be willing to plop down over $30,000 on a Lexus hybrid hatchback, no matter how fun it was.

Do CTs in Europe need as much incentives as they do here to sell?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Lexus seriously needs to change a little bit to keep up with it's competition. Here's a suggestion, Lexus doesn't have to follow it, Lexus may not want to follow it. Introduce more models and increase model variants.

Lexus was never conceived as a full-line automaker, and I think attempting to be one would be a mistake (not to mention making more LFAs would *really* piss off owners of the original 500). People like to cite Benz and BMW's agility with the product mix, but that's because in Germany they are GM and Ford. They've always been full-line there so it's trivial for them to adjust what they send here.