Lexus Admits 'Less Clear Focus' In the Last 2 Years

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
A very interesting video, posted by Lexus UK YouTube channel today, highlights the key milestones in the Lexus history.

After rhyming off all the positive achievements all the way up until 2011 - the video takes a very interesting tone.

The narration declares:

"While Lexus was very focussed in its early years, while the product range grew and the brand's growth expanded into new markets, that focus was tested and became less clear.

For the past couple of years, Lexus has been looking inward with a heightened sense of self-awareness, understanding what must be regained to help direct future course.

Now with a firmer and more mature sense of identity of a brand at 30 years, a new leadership developing a tangible future-focussed vision for luxury transportation, the brand is ready to take its crucial next paces in its evolution"

The video also shows footage of the thought-to-be binned LF-FC concept and highlights the change in traditional car to SUVs as the dominant luxury car form factor.

What do you think everyone?

Lexus At 30

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Just watched it - thank you for sharing.

My .02: We've heard about so many "reboots" and "refocuses" from Lexus that it's become sort of hard to believe which ones have merit and which ones are just marketing spin. If Lexus has been "looking inward... for self awareness" over the last few years, it's hard to believe because we don't have any cars right now that feel like new-age executions of Lexus' old time philosophy around quality, power, precision and "perfection." Everything except the LC 500 is "meh."

However, I've said a few times now that with TNGA firmly under way and time to focus, I think the next NX and LX will be our two best indications of if Lexus has actually figured out who they are and what the future might look like. TBD.

Reactions
However, I've said a few times now that with TNGA firmly under way and time to focus, I think the next NX and LX will be our two best indications of if Lexus has actually figured out who they are and what the future might look like. TBD.
The next LX won't be a Land Cruiser that has its own legacy, and the next NX can't be a luxo RAV4 that even the current RAV4 leapfrogged over.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
If the re-focus has taken the last 2 years, it will take another 2 or 3 years at least (perhaps even more if the re-focus meant that no product development work was done) before this "new focus" shows up in the new vehicles. It takes about 5 years from initial concept to showroom floor for a new model so any new models coming out now or near-past (including UX, ES, LS and LC) or coming in the near future (may include NX) will be "old-focus" models.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
A very interesting video, posted by Lexus UK YouTube channel today, highlights the key milestones in the Lexus history.

After rhyming off all the positive achievements all the way up until 2011 - the video takes a very interesting tone.

The narration declares:

"While Lexus was very focussed in its early years, while the product range grew and the brand's growth expanded into new markets, that focus was tested and became less clear.

For the past couple of years, Lexus has been looking inward with a heightened sense of self-awareness, understanding what must be regained to help direct future course.

Now with a firmer and more mature sense of identity of a brand at 30 years, a new leadership developing a tangible future-focussed vision for luxury transportation, the brand is ready to take its crucial next paces in its evolution"

The video also shows footage of the thought-to-be binned LF-FC concept and highlights the change in traditional car to SUVs as the dominant luxury car form factor.

What do you think everyone?

Lexus At 30

i think it leads into them introducing/announcing EV and direct4 products in 2021 in Europe.
Whoever does not like UX and ES and their price points, will probably not like new Lexus products either.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Just watched it - thank you for sharing.

My .02: We've heard about so many "reboots" and "refocuses" from Lexus that it's become sort of hard to believe which ones have merit and which ones are just marketing spin. If Lexus has been "looking inward... for self awareness" over the last few years, it's hard to believe because we don't have any cars right now that feel like new-age executions of Lexus' old time philosophy around quality, power, precision and "perfection." Everything except the LC 500 is "meh."

Completely agree Gecko but as I know weā€™ve talked about when the hell is anything coming out...? We just keep waiting and waiting and waiting...

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
If the re-focus has taken the last 2 years, it will take another 2 or 3 years at least (perhaps even more if the re-focus meant that no product development work was done) before this "new focus" shows up in the new vehicles. It takes about 5 years from initial concept to showroom floor for a new model so any new models coming out now or near-past (including UX, ES, LS and LC) or coming in the near future (may include NX) will be "old-focus" models.

I'd like to think that the 2-year refocus period has included development which will bear fruit in 2021 - I'm excited to see this new Direct 4 concept - the teasers look handsome and not too crazy - possibly production ready almost?

LF-1 needs to come in 2021 is Lexus have officially turned the gun on themselves.

I just find it fascinating to see official media admit a lack of focus - so rarely do we see humility by any big corporation. The last example I can think of is again Lexus when they used the word boring on stage to describe themselves when introducing the LC500. Oh how the excitement around the brand was back then...

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I have now had a chance to watch it.

After reading the comments here, I was expecting some sort of mea culpa, some admission of guilt and confession of sins. Instead, all I saw was a marketing spiel, an expected look-back and limited look-ahead (expected, given Toyota's and Lexus' conservative nature) on the occasion of Lexus' 30th Anniversary. There was nothing new here, to me. I really do not put much effort into listening to marketing spiels; I rather wait for the real product to come out.

In fact, I started watching a number of times but stopped, thinking that I had the wrong video.

If this "re-focus" results in truly different product (other than the coming electrification and EV strategy, which we already know about), it won't happen for 4 or 5 years, given the long lead times in the automotive development industry.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Although they persist with some quirky actual designs such as the mouse-controllers and spindle-grilles, most of the problems at Lexus (which the management doesn't seem to understand) is simply skipping on the quality of their materials. Compare the interiors, trim, and soundproofing of today, for instance, to the quality of materials and insulation used 20 years ago, and the problem is obvious. They have yielded to the bean-counters.

They also need to get back to tires/wheels that actually isolate you from the road, and provide some cushioning. Today's Lexus products, almost across the board, ride more firmly than those of a couple of decades ago. The UX may be an exception...it actually rides quite nicely for a vehicle its size and short wheelbase...but its interior is quirky, like other recent Lexus products.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I'd like to think that the 2-year refocus period has included development which will bear fruit in 2021 - I'm excited to see this new Direct 4 concept - the teasers look handsome and not too crazy - possibly production ready almost?

LF-1 needs to come in 2021 is Lexus have officially turned the gun on themselves.

I just find it fascinating to see official media admit a lack of focus - so rarely do we see humility by any big corporation. The last example I can think of is again Lexus when they used the word boring on stage to describe themselves when introducing the LC500. Oh how the excitement around the brand was back then...

That's because what I said before
Lexus board are in fight within 4 directions
1) electrification
2) old elegant Lexus
3) new sporty German 3 full lineup company model
4) Porsche like company model

Until even now they are not come to agreement in the next step

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Lexus, just introduce torque vectoring rear differential and other niceties that will never be introduced in Toyota vehicles. The GSf and RCf both have that and they're very capable daily drivers.

Honda has always offered SH-AWD for Acura but not for Honda's and that's a key differentiator. I wouldn't buy an Acura FWD with no SH-AWD, it just doesn't make any sense unless I want to save a lot of money.

The gap between Toyota and Lexus vehicles are shrinking.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Their wasn't ever a gap between Lexus & Toyota and that's the problem

When Lexus had the LS"Celsior", Toyota had Century & Majesta,
When Lexus had GS"Aristo", Toyota had Mark-X , Brevis / Verossa
and when Lexus built the IS"Altezza", Toyota was already had progres

Supra and Sourer was already Toyota !

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Their wasn't ever a gap between Lexus & Toyota and that's the problem

When Lexus had the LS"Celsior", Toyota had Century & Majesta,
When Lexus had GS"Aristo", Toyota had Mark-X , Brevis / Verossa
and when Lexus built the IS"Altezza", Toyota was already had progres

Supra and Sourer was already Toyota !

I said it before and I'll say it again - at this stage I would happily take some rebodied Toyota products with some extra frills.

If the Corolla was to allow a badge engineered CT to be reborn, I'd be all for it. The motoring press has always went with the 'Camry with a fancy name' line when describing Lexus anyway - so nothing lost nothing gained really.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
That's because what I said before
Lexus board are in fight within 4 directions
1) electrification
2) old elegant Lexus
3) new sporty German 3 full lineup company model
4) Porsche like company model

Until even now they are not come to agreement in the next step

1) Clearly the best option, even if the end goal is fuel cell or SSBs, there is valuable brand perception being built NOW! 10 year old kids think Tesla is the be all end all of cars and Mercedes and Audi are rapidly building their EQS and E-Tron branding. BMWs has failed to launch their 'I' Brand successfully despite being in the game for years - I guess that's something to do with making an ugly small MPV looking thing and a supercar rather than something more conventional.

2) That ship has sailed. Old elegant Lexus connects with old elegant males and females who are sadly shuffling off this mortal coil at a steady rate. If you don't reinvent yourself, you die with your client base.

3) That could surely go hand in hand with 1.

4) Works for Porsche because for years they were an elusive supercar builder to many - their brand is high stock so can be placed on expensive cars and sell them no problem. Sadly, Lexus despite superior engineering has absolutely no brand stock and looks set to always be a brand for those looking for something 'a bit different' or wanting 'something with Japanese build quality'.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, I am for the first which is Tesla model or the last which is Porsche model, the German 3 model can be with Toyota!

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
What is Porsche's model, sell sporty and less expensive SUVs to subsidize the real sportscars?

They are the only ones selling cheaper SUVs compared to their 911s and 918s.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
I am done waiting, of no focus and exiting production models next year, I am not financing Lexus psycotherapy anymore.

Reactions
Numerous posts wishing for and guessing at a new model . WHY BOTHER buying another. I bought NX hybrid last feb. The car is 'OK' not marvellous. in fact it eats fuel 7.6 and at times 11 per 100 km . as an economical Hybrid it fails miserably. The battery is useless serving only a lead weight to be dragged around. Pointless as are all Toyota Lexus Hybrids. Service is only average . Malaga Spain.

They have the very worst totally useless navigation system in any modern vehicle . On delivery they actually APOLOGISED, as did the main concessionary for Spain !!! Their fix "Internationally" took 8 months and consists of a pants dropping Android Google cable hook up. Imagine 50 ,000 for a luxury car and it has a cable strung out of the centre console, to a smartphone dangling around the car. . A botch job. and worse it doesnt work either ,

Overall the car is a piece of junk, and I wouldnt recommend anyone buying one . a great massive disappointment. Id give it back in a blink if possible . As to you posters arguing over a new model . I wonder what youve driven previously . A mini?

Reactions
I said it before and I'll say it again - at this stage I would happily take some rebodied Toyota products with some extra frills.

If the Corolla was to allow a badge engineered CT to be reborn, I'd be all for it. The motoring press has always went with the 'Camry with a fancy name' line when describing Lexus anyway - so nothing lost nothing gained really.

But that rhetoric was always wrong and will always be wrong. Complacency is death. Lexus has never been a brand that would out and about rebadge Toyotas. It's still not the case now. But if Lexus dares to toy with the idea of rebadging their cars, that tells us a few things. One is that they've clearly given up, and the other is that they are willing to lose all of their customers and eventually see the brand die.

Last edited: