Lexus Admits 'Less Clear Focus' In the Last 2 Years

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
But that rhetoric was always wrong and will always be wrong. Complacency is death. Lexus has never been a brand that would out and about rebadge Toyotas. It's still not the case now. But if Lexus dares to toy with the idea of rebadging their cars, that tells us a few things. One is that they've clearly given up, and the other is that they are willing to lose all of their customers and eventually see the brand die.

That's why I said 'at this stage' - because the stage we are at with Lexus is a stale lineup that's inferior to Toyota's, so even having badge engineered equivalents to the Toyota stuff would be an improvement on what we have at the minute.

Realistically, I'd like to think Lexus have more ambition than that, but like I say, if they even just did that as a stopgap until some proper real new product then it'd be something rather than radio silence.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Numerous posts wishing for and guessing at a new model . WHY BOTHER buying another. I bought NX hybrid last feb. The car is 'OK' not marvellous. in fact it eats fuel 7.6 and at times 11 per 100 km . as an economical Hybrid it fails miserably. The battery is useless serving only a lead weight to be dragged around. Pointless as are all Toyota Lexus Hybrids. Service is only average . Malaga Spain.

They have the very worst totally useless navigation system in any modern vehicle . On delivery they actually APOLOGISED, as did the main concessionary for Spain !!! Their fix "Internationally" took 8 months and consists of a pants dropping Android Google cable hook up. Imagine 50 ,000 for a luxury car and it has a cable strung out of the centre console, to a smartphone dangling around the car. . A botch job. and worse it doesnt work either ,

Overall the car is a piece of junk, and I wouldnt recommend anyone buying one . a great massive disappointment. Id give it back in a blink if possible . As to you posters arguing over a new model . I wonder what youve driven previously . A mini?
Are 7.6 litres/100 km and 11 litres/100 km instantaneous readings from the car's computer? If so, it is not a total surprise; instantaneous readings that high as the car slows, before the engine switches off; or as the car is accelerating from a stop are not a surprise; it would probably average out to below 7 litres/100 km over a full tank.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Numerous posts wishing for and guessing at a new model . WHY BOTHER buying another. I bought NX hybrid last feb. The car is 'OK' not marvellous. in fact it eats fuel 7.6 and at times 11 per 100 km . as an economical Hybrid it fails miserably. The battery is useless serving only a lead weight to be dragged around. Pointless as are all Toyota Lexus Hybrids. Service is only average . Malaga Spain.

They have the very worst totally useless navigation system in any modern vehicle . On delivery they actually APOLOGISED, as did the main concessionary for Spain !!! Their fix "Internationally" took 8 months and consists of a pants dropping Android Google cable hook up. Imagine 50 ,000 for a luxury car and it has a cable strung out of the centre console, to a smartphone dangling around the car. . A botch job. and worse it doesnt work either ,

Overall the car is a piece of junk, and I wouldnt recommend anyone buying one . a great massive disappointment. Id give it back in a blink if possible . As to you posters arguing over a new model . I wonder what youve driven previously . A mini?

NX is not a very good car in terms of being a Lexus. You've bought a seven year old car as brand new car last Feb, car that was not so good to begin with unfortunately. Hopefully you got some massive discount on it, otherwise sorry to say this but you didn't do a proper research as current Rav4 has better hybrid drivetrain. If you went to Lexus dealer to buy one all you had to do is sit in RC or LS or even RX to smell the difference between the cars. NX smells like Toyota while others don't, that's a dead give away to me.

When it comes to fuel efficiency if this is your first hybrid or CVT car that's pretty normal as you didn't adjust the driving style. With CVT on board you don't need to slam the gas pedal to make it go unless you are taking off. There is a sweet spot on the gas pedal where you just hold your foot steady, RPMs remain steady as well but vehicle still accelerates. It takes some time to figure it out but once you do your gas mileage will improve significantly.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
If you do 11L/100km in a hybrid you either have a stuck accelerator or a leaking fuel tank 🤣

Just checked the average for my RX 450h f-sport 2021. Exactly 11L/100km. Of course I always drive in sport+ else is no fun...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I have now had a chance to watch it.

After reading the comments here, I was expecting some sort of mea culpa, some admission of guilt and confession of sins. Instead, all I saw was a marketing spiel, an expected look-back and limited look-ahead (expected, given Toyota's and Lexus' conservative nature) on the occasion of Lexus' 30th Anniversary. There was nothing new here, to me. I really do not put much effort into listening to marketing spiels; I rather wait for the real product to come out.

yep, it is marketing... how can they have mea culpa moment when even in their latest PR about record October production in the history of TMC, they highlight it is partially because of good Lexus sales.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If you do 11L/100km in a hybrid you either have a stuck accelerator or a leaking fuel tank 🤣

i think point there is "ocassionally". Otherwise, 7.6l/100km would be within expected range for NX300h.
It is like when people complain about C-HR consumption being over 5l/100km, and I cant read it with straight face.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Lexus, just introduce torque vectoring rear differential and other niceties that will never be introduced in Toyota vehicles. The GSf and RCf both have that and they're very capable daily drivers.

Honda has always offered SH-AWD for Acura but not for Honda's and that's a key differentiator. I wouldn't buy an Acura FWD with no SH-AWD, it just doesn't make any sense unless I want to save a lot of money.

The gap between Toyota and Lexus vehicles are shrinking.
The Pilot actually has Shawd since 2016. Its just renamed. Same identical system.

mikeavelli

Reactions
From what I’ve observed and gained there is a lot of focus on new product. Lexus IS well aware there is a product issue. So new products are on the way and not just one or two.

Another part of this equation is the dealers. How to keep them excited for the future and investing in their stores. And finding new wheels to please and attract customers.

Finally clearly moving from ICE only. Hybrids still run on ICE. BEV and Hydrogen isn’t easy to just add overnight to your business model. And outside of TESLA, BEVs don’t really sell. Only the Taycan seems to be a bit. The other German BEVs are struggling.

Also new marketing. Finding new ways to present the product, keep legacy owners happy and attract new ones.

I’m excited for what the USA has planned and is coming.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
The Pilot actually has Shawd since 2016. Its just renamed. Same identical system.

From the reviews, I thought it was between standard Honda AWD and Acura's SH-AWD.

I could be dead wrong but I don't think I would be driving a pickup until I meet my maker.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
The Pilot is Honda's large, 3-row SUV; the Ridgeline is Honda's pickup truck.

That's right. My bad Still will never consider that big of a SUV lol. My thoughts still stand that whatever is on a Honda is tuned less aggressive compared to the SH-AWD. Honda would be nuts not to. It isn't a Lexus where a Lexus something is equivalent to a Toyota something like the SS safety system.

mikeavelli

Reactions
That's right. My bad Still will never consider that big of a SUV lol. My thoughts still stand that whatever is on a Honda is tuned less aggressive compared to the SH-AWD. Honda would be nuts not to. It isn't a Lexus where a Lexus something is equivalent to a Toyota something like the SS safety system.

It’s the same system. The initial SH-AWD systems were not shared and actually better than the ones today. Still a great system.

Some great reading below