June 2015 Sales Thread

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not necessarily saying this as a fact (more of a guess on my part), but the X4 and X6 styling could (?) also be a factor in pushing potential buyers into the X3 and X5 instead. Some SUV buys don't want that droop-rear end. We saw, for example, what a flop it turned out to be on the 550GT. When I reviewed the 550GT, a number of readers predicted poor sales.........and they were right.

Good point, that could be a possibility.

mikeavelli

Reactions
While clearly not the main seller for the X5, last week I checked out a new X5M (I've been car shopping for months now) and honestly I was really impressed. It's easy to see why this vehicle is so popular.

It's the first time I recall anything outselling the RX. Obviously with the 3 way fight for sales, incentives for all brands are off the charts now.

It seems to me the 2016 RX is a substantial upgrade more on par with the X5.

Also note the a Caddy SRX outsold the MDX. There are a few other odd changes that made June make me scratch my head lol.

Usually I post BMW 3/4 figures together but found them separate. I've always wondered the mix and Have to say I'm shocked it's basically a 50/50 mix of sedan to coupe.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
[QUOTE="LexFather, post: 6598, member: 3]

Usually I post BMW 3/4 figures together but found them separate. I've always wondered the mix and Have to say I'm shocked it's basically a 50/50 mix of sedan to coupe.[/QUOTE]

But not all those 4 coupes are traditional 2 doors, right? Some are the sleek 4 door or 5 door hatches I think.

mikeavelli

Reactions
[QUOTE="LexFather, post: 6598, member: 3]

Usually I post BMW 3/4 figures together but found them separate. I've always wondered the mix and Have to say I'm shocked it's basically a 50/50 mix of sedan to coupe.

But not all those 4 coupes are traditional 2 doors, right? Some are the sleek 4 door or 5 door hatches I think.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh, good point, totally didn't put that in the equation. I doubt they are huge sellers, maybe 1k a month (random guess)? Even at 2k a month, that still means over 4k coupes are sold, a staggering number.

Lexus is really dropping the ball on 4 door coupes here, the Germans are now offering multiple offerings (CLS/CLA, 6/4, A7, A5 sportback which isn't sold in the states).

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
image.jpg ^ No doubt the CLS especially was a trend setter like no other when launched in 2006. Very influential (proof being BWM, VW, Audi, Porsche variations of concept that followed).

I personally like sedans with coupe-like roof lines, 2IS was one of those sedans.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Lexus is really dropping the ball on 4 door coupes here, the Germans are now offering multiple offerings (CLS/CLA, 6/4, A7, A5 sportback which isn't sold in the states).

I think that Lexus needs to get its regular 2-door coupe lineup properly filled out, before focusing on any potential "4-door coupes" :).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
But not all those 4 coupes are traditional 2 doors, right? Some are the sleek 4 door or 5 door hatches I think.

Ahhhh, good point, totally didn't put that in the equation. I doubt they are huge sellers, maybe 1k a month (random guess)? Even at 2k a month, that still means over 4k coupes are sold, a staggering number.

I'm not sure I understand the concept of 4 and 5 door "coupes". A coupe, according to Webster's Dictionary, is a 2-door vehicle designed to seat 2 persons up front, sometimes with a tight rear seat. If it has four doors, then it's actually a sedan with a coupe-type roofline.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not sure I understand the concept of 4 and 5 door "coupes". A coupe, according to Webster's Dictionary, is a 2-door vehicle designed to seat 2 persons up front, sometimes with a tight rear seat. If it has four doors, then it's actually a sedan with a coupe-type roofline.

You understand it fine, no dictionary needed. Marketing is getting a bit creative with names, but now you can buy a sexy sedan with a sleek coupe-like roofline and even if rear seat room is slightly tight, access is improved by extra 2 doors. In short, often quite stylish but still more practical than 2 door coupe.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah I used to get hung up on the 4 door coupe thing name wise in the past.. I'm over it lol..

CLS63 S is my fav while the RS7's utility is super appealing. The 6 series 4 door coupe never really appealed to me.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You understand it fine, no dictionary needed. Marketing is getting a bit creative with names, but now you can buy a sexy sedan with a sleek coupe-like roofline and even if rear seat room is slightly tight, access is improved by extra 2 doors. In short, often quite stylish but still more practical than 2 door coupe.

Well, Steve, now we're even. I explained the confusing Lincoln alphabet soup to you, and you explained unconventional coupes and sedans to me. :D;)

Yeah I used to get hung up on the 4 door coupe thing name wise in the past.. I'm over it lol..

Guess it's like when SUVs first started to go crossover and car-based on a mass scale in the 1990s. I never had a problem with that concept, but I could understand how it was confusing to some.

Lexfather said:
CLS63 S is my fav while the RS7's utility is super appealing. The 6 series 4 door coupe never really appealed to me.

One I can say about the CLS is that it's a good thing it's got a backup camera LOL] :D

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Well, Steve, now we're even. I explained the confusing Lincoln alphabet soup to you, and you explained unconventional coupes and sedans to me. :D;) :D

And thanks for that :p:)

But like for most premium car buyers, knowing the M-crap naming, the reality is it will only come in handy at the Hertz rental counter.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
And thanks for that :p:)

But like for most premium car buyers, knowing the M-crap naming, the reality is it will only come in handy at the Hertz rental counter.

Most people at rental car firms would (probably) be more likely to rent Fords than Lincolns, unless it is a limo or something like that for a wedding or high school prom.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
@
IS-SV said:
I personally like sedans with coupe-like roof lines, 2IS was one of those sedans.

I don't have hard local numbers, but the 2IS seemed quite popular here in the D.C. area, especially the IS250AWD version, though I doubt if it outsold the long-popular ES or RX staples. From what I can tell, the 3IS is not proliferating here like its predecessor did.

(I briefly considered a 2IS AWD version myself, since I had previously owned a RWD 1IS)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Most people at rental car firms would (probably) be more likely to rent Fords than Lincolns, unless it is a limo or something like that for a wedding or high school prom.

Most premium car buyers avoid buying Lincolns, so any exposure they have to brand will be rental offerings at Hertz rental counter is the point (although that doesn't mean they will select the Lincoln to rent when a much better-looking and cheaper Fusion is offered for example). A big part of Lincoln weak sales numbers are to rental companies. Hertz does not rent limos. Proof is here at Lexus Enthusiast forum, where we see a variety of owners of different brands (not just Lexus), not one owns a Lincoln.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
A7, A5 sportback which isn't sold in the states).

Getting Audi to market passenger-car (non-SUV) Hatchbacks/Wagons in the U.S. is like pulling teeth. They had the A3 hatchback and A4 Avant wagon here at one time, then dropped them and replaced them with all-sedans (except for the hatchback A3 E-tron, a gas/electric hybrid). The Audi All-Road was a Subaru-Outback-like A4 Avant with a raised suspension, but it too has been pulled back and forth like a yo-yo. (Currently, however, it is available in the U.S.), though it more or less competes with Audi's own Q3 and Q5 crossover SUVs. .

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Audi A3 and A4 Avante (wagons) sold poorly in U.S. Q3 being new needs to establish sales trend, but Q5 has sold well in U.S. for years now (crossover SUV's). Exactly as expected in American market.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Audi A3 and A4 Avante (wagons) sold poorly in U.S. Q3 being new needs to establish sales trend, but Q5 has sold well in U.S. for years now (crossover SUV's). Exactly as expected in American market.

Oh, yeah, I agree. I wasn't questioning sales numbers. And the All-Road, of course, gets a lot of competition (and seems to be outsold by) the Volvo XC70 Cross-Country Wagon. But, just by being there, it offers a credible alternative to the XC70...the Subaru Outback and its huge sales numbers, even in the top-line 3.6R Limited version, just isn't in quite the same premium league as a vehicle.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Oh, yeah, I agree. I wasn't questioning sales numbers. And the All-Road, of course, gets a lot of competition (and seems to be outsold by) the Volvo XC70 Cross-Country Wagon. But, just by being there, it offers a credible alternative to the XC70...the Subaru Outback and its huge sales numbers, even in the top-line 3.6R Limited version, just isn't in quite the same premium league as a vehicle.

Yes, which is why Audi lineup in U.S. has fewer wagons and more high volume SUVs (business decision).

The high volume Subie Outback today (not being a premium vehicle), is a SUV, not a wagon.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The high volume Subie Outback today (not being a premium vehicle), is a SUV, not a wagon.

Partly agree. It was marketed and sold as a high-stance Legacy wagon for years, but, with the latest generation, has evolved more or less into a borderline SUV. Some publications consider it a wagon, some an SUV.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Partly agree. It was marketed and sold as a high-stance Legacy wagon for years, but, with the latest generation, has evolved more or less into a borderline SUV. Some publications consider it a wagon, some an SUV.

It's a SUV by classification and dimensions (including height), not borderline in 2015. Marketing double-speak is just that, people can believe as they see it of course.