June 2015 Sales Thread

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It's a SUV by classification and dimensions (including height), not borderline in 2015. Marketing double-speak is just that, people can believe as they see it of course.

The one I had, mechanically, was a Legacy wagon on stilts, but, yes, functioned as a crossover SUV.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The one I had, mechanically, was a Legacy wagon on stilts, but, yes, functioned as a crossover SUV.

Yes, I remember. The earlier ones dimensionally were wagons and were not classified as SUVs accordingly.

Of course today, Subie is motivated to classify bigger and taller Outback as a SUV and so they did.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Most premium car buyers avoid buying Lincolns, so any exposure they have to brand will be rental offerings at Hertz rental counter is the point (although that doesn't mean they will select the Lincoln to rent when a much better-looking and cheaper Fusion is offered for example). A big part of Lincoln weak sales numbers are to rental companies. Hertz does not rent limos. Proof is here at Lexus Enthusiast forum, where we see a variety of owners of different brands (not just Lexus), not one owns a Lincoln.

So your comment had me thinking and I don't know one person that even knows a person that owns a current new Lincoln. :D I always felt they should have stayed the course with this one...it was a pretty damn good drive at the time...

2001_lincoln_ls_v8-pic-57693.jpeg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ and interesting that it still looks fairly contemporary today, even the size/footprint...

(Note: Actually we have one poster here with new Lincoln, to be accurate)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
So your comment had me thinking and I don't know one person that even knows a person that owns a current new Lincoln. :D I always felt they should have stayed the course with this one...it was a pretty damn good drive at the time...

2001_lincoln_ls_v8-pic-57693.jpeg
[/Q

And, if you remember, Consumer Reports, at the time, said that it (the Lincoln LS) was the best all-around American-nameplate car they had tested up to that time (it is now the Tesla Model S). But Lincoln blew part of the marketing on it. It was marketed to compete with the BMW 5-series, yet offered the 5-speed manual only on the V6 version, not the V8. But, instead of fitting a existing manual to the V8 (or developing a new manual for it), they simply dropped the car altogether after a couple of years. Go Figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
(Note: Actually we have one poster here with new Lincoln, to be accurate)

I know this probably doesn't count LOL, but, if I was currently in the market for a crossover SUV, I'd likely be driving a Lincoln MKC. I like it more than any other existing Lincoln product...the only one I'd consider owning.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I know this probably doesn't count LOL, but, if I was currently in the market for a crossover SUV, I'd likely be driving a Lincoln MKC. I like it more than any other existing Lincoln product...the only one I'd consider owning.

Sad but honest (gotta respect that), one acceptable existing Lincoln. I'm not much different at zero. Weak.

In contrast I can think of several existing Benz, Lexus, Porsche products that I would gladly own and at least one Audi, one Jag, one Rover, one BMW too (and I have actual ownership of history with many of those brands, yes I'm not good at brand loyalty).

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Sad but honest (gotta respect that), one acceptable existing Lincoln. I'm not much different at zero. Weak.

Well, to tell the truth (as I see it), there isn't much in the Lincoln brand outside the MKC TO like. The main reasons I like the MKC are that it's a nice convenient size for everyday driving/parking, seems well built, and seems to be an attempt on Lincoln's part to correct some past errors. They also gave it one HECK of a nice paint job/color, too, with that purple Tahitian Pearl color. But I also respect your opinion if it's not your bag, either.

2015-mkc-premier_choix-032-pt.png

In contrast I can think of several existing Benz, Lexus, Porsche products that I would gladly own and at least one Audi, one Jag, one Rover, one BMW too (and I have actual ownership of history with many of those brands, yes I'm not good at brand loyalty).

That's probably the case with many of us.....certainly it is with with me. Like you, there are a number of vehicles I like from both premium and non-premium brands and wouldn't mind owning....and I did once own a Lexus. But not all of us are in a position to be able to own more than one car at a time, and, in my case, I'm also somewhat size-limited by our condo parking-spaces.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Well, to tell the truth (as I see it), there isn't much in the Lincoln brand outside the MKC TO like. The main reasons I like the MKC are that it's a nice convenient size for everyday driving/parking, seems well built, and seems to be an attempt on Lincoln's part to correct some past errors. They also gave it one HECK of a nice paint job/color, too, with that purple Tahitian Pearl color.

Agreed to your point about right-sized and why it's the fastest growing class of vehicles today, the compact SUV (especially/including non-premium brands).

Here's an excellent example of how it's done well, CX-5 GT w/tech pkg (including necessary lux amenities). Clean styling, best-in-class fuel efficiency, Mercedes-like stiff chassis, very good steering feel, strong brakes, great ride/handling combo, very good reliability, roomy, best-in-class manual mode on 6 sp auto tranny, low pricing, adequate power.

image.jpg

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here's an excellent example of how it's done well, CX-5 GT w/tech pkg (including necessary lux amenities). Clean styling, best-in-class fuel efficiency, Mercedes-like stiff chassis, very good steering feel, strong brakes, great ride/handling combo, very good reliability, roomy, best-in-class manual mode on 6 sp auto tranny, low pricing, adequate power.

View attachment 731

I agree on several of the other points you made about the CX-5, but the interior doesn't impress me...it doesn't impress me on some other Mazda products, either. In this class, among premium compact crossover SUVs, the Audi Q3 and Lincoln MKC impress me the most, and among mainstream models, the Honda CR-V.

Some might (?) feel that I put too much emphasis on interiors. But the way I see it, you spend a lot of time inside your car, so it needs to be something you can live with day in and day out. I also didn't particularly care for the Kia Sportage's plain-Jane-looking interior, but it uses some good durable-feeling materials inside, and my brother didn't have any problem with it. He was (and is) so pleased with that dealership's excellent service that he wanted to reward them with another Kia purchase.

And he has a point. Just yesterday, they gave him a nitrogen-tire-inflation service for all four tires stock-free, even though they could have charged the going price for it. He likes that package, and had good luck with it before.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree on several of the other points you made about the CX-5, but the interior doesn't impress me...it doesn't impress me on some other Mazda products, either. In this class, among premium compact crossover SUVs, the Audi Q3 and Lincoln MKC impress me the most, and among mainstream models, the Honda CR-V.

Some might (?) feel that I put too much emphasis on interiors. .

I gladly prefer the German BMW-like interior of CX-5 over a somewhat more expensive CRV, realizing interior preferences are very subjective. Like you I feel interiors are important, I place higher value on ergonomics and immediate driver environment (including supportive seats, steering wheel, shifter, sight lines, armrests) and that's where CX-5 excels over CRV. The $10K price difference of Q3 and MKC over the Mazda certainly should result in a better interior, I would hope.

Note: People here don't pay for nitrogen tire service, nobody should.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The $10K price difference of Q3 and MKC over the Mazda certainly should result in a better interior, I would hope.

Well, yes, definitely. That's why I separated the Q3 and MKC (premium class) over the mainstream class. Some in the premium class, though, don't have particularly premium interiors, at least IMO.

You seem to really like that CX-5. You could probably use one with AWD if you climb over the Sierras in the wintertime, although the lack of a turbo version might limit its high-altitude power some.

Note: People here don't pay for nitrogen tire service, nobody should.

For street driving and/or non-racing uses, I'm not really convinced, myself, of all its supposed benefits. But he likes it, and has had good luck with it.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/07/usa-15-best-selling-luxury-autos-june-2015-sales-figures.html

Top 15 best selling luxury badges cars and then a seperate list for the 15 best selling cars with a base price over 15k.

Note how the Corvette for example makes the second list, its not a luxury car but it sure as hell is priced like one!

Yeah, despite its price, I'd consider the Corvette more of a classic sports-car than a luxury product per se. What's attractive about the Corvette, though, is that, particularly in top-line versions, it can turn and burn on a track or strip with some of the best that Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc..... have to offer.............at a price many thousands less.