Issues with 2019 Lexus ES 350 Stock Audio System

Reactions
Has anyone found a solution??

A previous poster mentioned that Lexus was working on a fix for this, but I called Lexus Corporate and they told me they have no knowledge of any problem. Super frustrating. Great audio should not be a difficult task. The ELS audio in my $36k Acura TL was INCREDIBLE and blows my Mark Levinson out of the water. If Lexus wants to compete with luxury automakers they better figure out this audio problem and ditch this whole Mark Levinson gimmick. We don’t need thumping bass; we need fullness and balance of sound. The quality of Mark Levinson is crystal clear but that’s meaningless when the sound is so incomplete and flimsy. And don’t get me started with the front/center bias. Disaster!

Reactions
Couldn't agree more! I feel like a fool for not testing the sound system thoroughly before purchasing an IS350. I could understand if it was the base model, but I have every possible option! (FSport 3). It's ridiculous..it sounds like an AM radio until you crank it up to about 25 or 30. There is no bass or lower tones.

Reactions
I called Lexus Corporate yesterday and I was told they did not know of any issue with the audio. I might call pioneer next week to see if they have any solutions.

JCD

Reactions
I called Lexus Corporate yesterday and I was told they did not know of any issue with the audio. I might call pioneer next week to see if they have any solutions.
Did Pioneer have any suggestions?

TLS

Reactions
Picked up my 2019 es350 last Thursday and tried the radio on the way home. TERRIBLE SOUND! Shut the radio off because I didn't want to mess with it while driving. The next day I spent a lot of time trying to adjust for decent sound. Ran into same issues as everyone else on here. Fade to rear and front speakers go away and rear speakers are non existent till you max out the volume. Then rear door speakers are scratchy and tinny like they are only getting some crossover from the front. Rear deck sub is non existent. Took it back to the dealer Monday because I was sure some connector was disconnected. Service mgr agreed the sound, regardless of source, was terrible, but couldn't do anything. Everyone needs to keep the pressure on Lexus to come up with a fix.
Love the car except for the audio issue. Wish I had my 2013 (6th gen 1st year) es back. Base audio was 10 times better than 7th gen.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Picked up my 2019 es350 last Thursday and tried the radio on the way home. TERRIBLE SOUND! Shut the radio off because I didn't want to mess with it while driving. The next day I spent a lot of time trying to adjust for decent sound. Ran into same issues as everyone else on here. Fade to rear and front speakers go away and rear speakers are non existent till you max out the volume. Then rear door speakers are scratchy and tinny like they are only getting some crossover from the front. Rear deck sub is non existent. Took it back to the dealer Monday because I was sure some connector was disconnected. Service mgr agreed the sound, regardless of source, was terrible, but couldn't do anything. Everyone needs to keep the pressure on Lexus to come up with a fix.
Love the car except for the audio issue. Wish I had my 2013 (6th gen 1st year) es back. Base audio was 10 times better than 7th gen.

nobody is going to fix this for you, it is how they designed the audio... either try trading/returning/something vehicle or go light aftermarket.

Not saying it does not suck, but it is what it is.

Reactions
I talk to Pioneer today. They don't support OEM, you have to go back to Lexus. I told him that I contacted Lexus but they were no help. He said your best bet would be to go to a local audio shop for advice on how to add sound to the rear of the car. He said it might be possible to add an inline amplifier.

Reactions
I talk to Pioneer today. They don't support OEM, you have to go back to Lexus. I told him that I contacted Lexus but they were no help. He said your best bet would be to go to a local audio shop for advice on how to add sound to the rear of the car. He said it might be possible to add an inline amplifier.
I also ran into the same problem. I have talked with Pioneer, and Lexus, and neither could care less.I learned a good lesson, always try audio, even though you shouldn't expect to need to test in in a Lexus.I'm going to drive this car for a while, and change to G80 Hyundai, saw one and tested their audio,heads above the Lexus. Lexus definitely knows about the problem.

Reactions
Does anyone know if the sound issue in the rear is tied to the receiver, amp, speakers or is it a combination of the components?

Reactions
we have the same problem..lexus advises that the system is working to design specs..visited with sales manager, salesman, a rep in atlanta as well as the pioneer folks. no help. the pioneer in a new Avalon(Toyota) works great. guess we purchased the wrong car.

Reactions
This is the 2nd posting, the first has still not been approved for whatever reason:
New, 2019 ES 350, about 300 to 400 miles on it. Anybody remember the radios with the joystick to move the sound around the interior of the car? Well, those were 10x better than what's in the 2019 ES 350 basic sound system. The sound movement and quality inside the vehicle is utter trash. And does NOT compliment, read share well, with the Scout navigation system. The navigation instructions do not cut out or override the music playing. And in fact, the volume is so weak that even with the sound turned down on the music, it's still barely audible enough to hear. And before you say anything, Yes, the volume on my phone is turned all the way up. Even disregarding that, the sound from the stereo is IN YOUR FACE. I did contact the dealer, who told me to turn OFF several of the features, (What? Not use the features that are supposed to enhance the sound?), and, turn the Treble down, the Mid Range down, and the Bass up. Then, move the sound to the rear. Talk about messed up. Do all that, and to get the sound to even begin to get out of your face, you have adjusted to the rear within 1 click of max rear position to still have sound coming from the front and also turned Treble and Mid Range nearly off, (basically at the maximum amount that you can adjust). And now, it sounds even worse than when you started, just not all in your face. Love the car, except this, has really put a damper on our first Lexus. I see in comments several saying that you should have checked out the stereo before buying. Bull. There are so many things going on during a test drive, especially when you've never had a car with all these new features, safety and otherwise. Besides, the salesperson is describing all the good things in the car, so the sound is down, you just expect that the stereo will be up to quality as well. I really hope as one person said that this can be fixed with a software upgrade, but other's have said it's in the quality of the speakers that are in the rear, so, Lexus, find a fix for this, now.

Reactions
Also, the volume on the stereo also controls the volume of an incoming phone call. If the radio is turned down, you cannot hear the call. And it has to be turned up to a very high volume to be able to hear the call, then when it's disconnected, watch out for ear blasting by the radio now.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

he gave you a good advice... it is how they designed the audio... get local shop to install some aftermarket speakers in the back and you should be fine.
Other than returning the vehicle, that is everyone's only/best option.

Reactions
I found this thread by searching google for rear speaker issues with the 2019 ES 350...
Almost no audio output form the back speakers, and only at maximum settings with fader directed completely to the rear.

I am surprised that Lexus is not acknowledging the issue because this isn't a matter of "perfection", but at a level considered broken.
Having audio only coming out of the front speakers is pretty bad...

My reasons for posting was to add to the complaints in hopes that it might contribute to Lexus doing something in the future... and also because I am curious if aftermarket speakers can solve this problem?

I am concerned that installing new speakers might not work because of some software issue perhaps limiting the power to the rear.

Curious if anyone has installed aftermarket speakers with success?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I found this thread by searching google for rear speaker issues with the 2019 ES 350...
Almost no audio output form the back speakers, and only at maximum settings with fader directed completely to the rear.

I am surprised that Lexus is not acknowledging the issue because this isn't a matter of "perfection", but at a level considered broken.
Having audio only coming out of the front speakers is pretty bad...

My reasons for posting was to add to the complaints in hopes that it might contribute to Lexus doing something in the future... and also because I am curious if aftermarket speakers can solve this problem?

I am concerned that installing new speakers might not work because of some software issue perhaps limiting the power to the rear.

Curious if anyone has installed aftermarket speakers with success?

Lexus designed the base audio with no real speakers at the back so if you prefer audio faded to the back, it will not work ... so only way to solve it is to add real speakers there.

It will certainly work fine and people having being using aftermarket to improve their stereos for past 100 years, your audio shop will know what to do.

Even if Lexus redesigns the system in the future, it would not be considered a safety issue so to be a recall and offer it as a free upgrade.

I mean you can wait for Lexus, but they wont do it, so other than trading your car, you can fix it yourself for few hundred $$.

Reactions
Lexus designed the base audio with no real speakers at the back so if you prefer audio faded to the back, it will not work ... so only way to solve it is to add real speakers there.

It will certainly work fine and people having being using aftermarket to improve their stereos for past 100 years, your audio shop will know what to do.

Even if Lexus redesigns the system in the future, it would not be considered a safety issue so to be a recall and offer it as a free upgrade.

I mean you can wait for Lexus, but they wont do it, so other than trading your car, you can fix it yourself for few hundred $$.

Thank you for the reply, that does answer my question.

While it is obvious and intuitive that new speakers would fix the problem, I had read it could be a software issue on another forum. I am glad you mentioned that the speakers are basically sub-par... that is good news actually because it is a simple fix.

Here is a paste of what the other poster on another Lexus forum said regarding the software (highlighted in red):

I also just purchased the 2019 ES 350 and this is my 3rd one in a row, 2011 and 2105 owned before. I was so excited to get this car! Test drove it, without listening to the Stereo, bought it, took delivery and then turned on the radio for the first time...I was really upset that the Fader wasn't working and have made it a huge issue to the dealership. It is going in for service on 10/15 to do a diagonsitc test...but it seems this is actually designed this way, which I am driving around without the radio on because I absolutely hate the sound system.

So the question is how do you upgrade the sound system to allow for rear speakers to work properly for a balanced sound? I was told you can't just swamp out the speakers in the back because of the new digital stereo system. The only advice I have gotten so far is to add a subwoofer box in the trunk with a seperate amp and a bass tuner knob in the front off the console.

Another poster:

How is swapping speakers going to help? Correct me if I am wrong It's the lack of power going into the rear speakers that is the problem. If anything either 1)Add speakers to the rear or 2) add power to the existing rear speakers.

Either way its a hot mess and as someone who dislike hassel Id rather not mess with the electrical on a new 50k car.

So this is where my concern was ^

Last edited:
Reactions
Wow I let me wife do the test drive since it was to be her car. What a junky radio system. My grandson OEM jeep has better sound than the$2000.00 upgraded Lexus system. Even the front speakers are tin sounding.

Reactions
Just got the 19 ES350. Yes the sound system is not good. 3rd ES I have had. The fade to the rear is almost non existent. Also has anyone had problems with the bluetooth while making phone calls. seems to be a 2-3 second delay when speaking to someone