ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Assuming 2020 is the UX, what are 2022 (1 new EV) and 2024 (1, possibly 2 EVs if you squint)? Maybe LS refresh and LF-1?
NX and RX most likely because everyone is making electric SUVs. Unfortunately I think this slide just killed the possibility of an IS-EV.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
NX and RX most likely because everyone is making electric SUVs. Unfortunately I think this slide just killed the possibility of an IS-EV.

How do you know this? Maybe it will come out in 2025 lol. Toyota purposely cut the presentation off so as not to show the smorgasbord of BEVs Lexus will be coming out with in 2025 or 2026.

But yeah, whatever sells the most in ICEV format, turn them into BEVs and make lots of $$$. As long as they don't look anything like the six posted in the photo below, I'm good with the normal looking NX.

I wonder how much premium Toyota will charge for its BEVs over ICEVs.

Reactions
Design exercises are important, and in my opinion this is a good one. Whats frustrating though is how far Lexus seems to be from delivering a proper electric car. One that was developed from the ground-up as an EV. Looking forward to the UX-e, but I fear it will be too little too late. Short range, no room for luggage, two wheel drive, not particularly good looking and an outdated infotainment system with a small screen.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Looking forward to the UX-e, but I fear it will be too little too late. Short range, no room for luggage, two wheel drive, not particularly good looking and an outdated infotainment system with a small screen.

UX is a proven, successful vehicle in a segment (city cars) tailor-made for EV. It makes a great deal of sense for those reasons. And pretty much every automaker's first production BEV has been some sort of small, limited car, starting with the original Tesla Roadster.

Also, the EV market isn't anywhere near mature. We know for sure now that Li-Ion isn't the real solution, and solid-state batteries may not be either.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Having watched a few Savagegeese (and a few other reviewers except for Doug M.) videos on the LC500h, LC500, RCF, etc. which definitely demonstrates Toyota's reluctance to go with turbocharged engines in the past (and maybe the present), I wonder if they will throw in three electric motors (one in front and two in the rear) just to get its Lexus higher end sport BEVs to reach 500 or more HP, in effect giving its customers "free" torque vectoring to boot. :)

That would be my dream car -- Lexus AWD BEV with torque vectoring (notice I don't specify a 0-60 number because anything below 6 sec will do). I will relax my driving distance constraints (250 winter miles) just to accelerate my purchase.

If my 02 Civic already lasted 17 years, this Lexus BEV could still be alive and kicking when I'm long buried six feet under.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Sigh.... what is that ugly thing... please don’t make this to production or else I build my own EV out of a Pontiac Aztek which will look way better than this.

When Lexus does it, its ugly, predator, blackhole, >Insert Aztek comment here< .....yada yada

When Rolls Royce does it...oh its striking! visionary! bold! ultra luxurious!

rolls-royce-vision-next-main-952x563.jpg

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
How do you know this? Maybe it will come out in 2025 lol. Toyota purposely cut the presentation off so as not to show the smorgasbord of BEVs Lexus will be coming out with in 2025 or 2026.

But yeah, whatever sells the most in ICEV format, turn them into BEVs and make lots of $$$. As long as they don't look anything like the six posted in the photo below, I'm good with the normal looking NX.

I wonder how much premium Toyota will charge for its BEVs over ICEVs.

Depending on whether they will be SS or current lithium

Reactions
And pretty much every automaker's first production BEV has been some sort of small, limited car, starting with the original Tesla Roadster.

True, and the Tesla Roadster was released back in 2008. Not saying that the BEV market is mature, far from it. But by the time Lexus's new platform for BEV is ready, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Volvo, BMW, VW, Polestar, Tesla, etc would have delivered "long range" BEVs for years. Dont get me wrong, the hybrid technology from Toyota/Lexus is awesome, but in my opinion its kind of old news. Especially when its not even possible to charge it seperately.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
True, and the Tesla Roadster was released back in 2008. Not saying that the BEV market is mature, far from it. But by the time Lexus's new platform for BEV is ready, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Volvo, BMW, VW, Polestar, Tesla, etc would have delivered "long range" BEVs for years.

I think current-tech BEVs (including the upcoming UX/CH-R) are a poor buy for the average consumer. Battery technology isn't there yet, charging standards are still in flux, resale values of BEVs are terrible, and long-term support is questionable (we already know Tesla won't offer any). But if you lease, or if you're Jay Leno, there is certainly fun to be had in those cars.

Dont get me wrong, the hybrid technology from Toyota/Lexus is awesome, but in my opinion its kind of old news. Especially when its not even possible to charge it seperately.

Toyota/Lexus is rolling out plug-in hybrids; the new Euro-spec Yaris being an example. I'd certainly like to see a lot more though.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
@Will1991 You may be right. I swear I'd read someplace that there was, in conjunction with the longer EV-only range, but I can't find it now.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
True, and the Tesla Roadster was released back in 2008. Not saying that the BEV market is mature, far from it. But by the time Lexus's new platform for BEV is ready, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Volvo, BMW, VW, Polestar, Tesla, etc would have delivered "long range" BEVs for years. Dont get me wrong, the hybrid technology from Toyota/Lexus is awesome, but in my opinion its kind of old news. Especially when its not even possible to charge it seperately.

I wouldn't mind going for an AWD 4IS hybrid (with torque vectoring, pretty please) that can do 60 MPG yet still have a respecta9 0-60 in >6 seconds lol. It seems China is the main focus, then Europe while most others will be after thoughts so I may have to purchase/finance new. :(

While Toyota will offer their first high volume battery-electric cars in China next year due to the quotas there, Europeans will have to wait another two to three years before the vehicles are available for purchase.

According to Vice President Shigeki Terashi, Toyota will not introduce the first pure electric cars in Europe until 2022 or 2023. “We will start with smaller models,” said the manager at the Tokyo Motor Show. Terashi left it open whether these will be completely new models or electric versions of existing vehicles, such as the recently introduced Yaris Hybrid based on the TNGA platform.

Despite the recent drop in sales in China as a result subsidy cuts, Toyota is relying on the world’s largest electric car market – and is thus taking a different path than its Japanese competitor Honda. The day before, Honda had announced that it would speed up its electrical plans, especially in Europe, and prefer them to the rest of the world.

In China, Toyota wants to start with two fully electric mid-range SUVs. These are BEV versions of the sister models C-HR and IZOA, built by Toyota’s joint ventures with GAC and FAW. But even these will not come until 2020 – much to the displeasure of Terashi. “But we have no battery electric cars in the market,” said the Toyota manager in Tokyo. “I have to accept that.”

It is also unclear what role the USA plays in Toyota’s electrical plans – will pure electric cars be offered there earlier than in Europe? In terms of sales, the US is the second largest electric car market in the world. According to Terashi, Americans in the mass market are less willing to pay more money for lower emissions. “To be honest, hybrid cars don’t sell so well in the USA,” says Terashi. With lower fuel prices, many customers have again switched from mid-range cars to SUVs and pickups.

“We would rather introduce a slightly larger electric vehicle in the USA,” Terashi said. But that is not yet in sight. It could come from the development cooperation with Subaru. When the first model based on the new electric SUV platform is to be launched, the companies did not specify when they presented the cooperation in June.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Here is a quick search and retrospective of press piece how Toyota was ahead in electrification and got lost in the shuffle as the timeline goes to present.

2003 - Lexus RXh debuts, Toyota is all hyped up about hybrid breakthrough. Mercedes on the other hand bets hard on diesels instead.

2006 - By 2012 all Toyotas will have Hybrid counterparts.

2007 - Lexus LS600h exceeds sales target by 300%

2009 - Toyota shows Prius PHEV

2010 - Nissan Leaf goes into production, Toyota discusses niche Rav4 EV. Bets on hybrids hard. Announces four door FCV

2012 - Toyota sees no opportunity in BEV small cars and scraps two Leaf competitors but remains steady on releasing BEV Rav4 with Tesla joint venture. Toyota also promises 21 hybrid models by 2015.

2012 - Same year Toyota claims tens of thousands FCV will be sold by 2020 as limited production of Rav4 EV begins together with Prius PHEV with 11 miles range (shortest EV range of any production PHEV until Mercedes GLE 550e got to the market in 2016)

2013 - BMW launches first ever BEV i3

2014 - Rav4 EV production ends. 2,500 unites have been sold from 2012 to 2015. Mercedes first ever BEV B-class Electric Drive and S-class 500e PHEV go into production the same year. BMW launches first ever dedicated PHEV model i8. Audi A3 PHEV goes on sale in Germany for the first time.

2015 - Toyota does indeed have well over 25 hybrid models worldwide (Prius C, Prius V, Harrier and other global re-badges) equipped with four different hybrid setups. Mirai FCV goes on sale. Audio shows e-tron BEV concept SUV

2016 - Mercedes shows Generation EQ concept

2018 - Mercedes shows production version of EQC. Audi shows production version of e-tron.

2019 - Toyota has sold 5,000 Mirais since 2015. Mercedes EQC goes on sale with double the size of battery that Toyota has ever used in any electric vehicle application. Audi e-tron goes on sale too. Toyota announced BEV kei-car and plans for BEV future.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I know this is the future but honestly i don’t care about any of this. Can we get an F on every model before this? We already have the F engines for most of the cars/SUVs rt? I digress I suppose electric engines cool for the future but blah rt now to me.

phoenixss

Fan
Reactions
When Lexus does it, its ugly, predator, blackhole, >Insert Aztek comment here< .....yada yada

When Rolls Royce does it...oh its striking! visionary! bold! ultra luxurious!

rolls-royce-vision-next-main-952x563.jpg
Not sure I'd call that a beauty. what is the point of making unrealistic concept cars if not to simply be a piece of art.

Reactions
I know this is the future but honestly i don’t care about any of this. Can we get an F on every model before this? We already have the F engines for most of the cars/SUVs rt? I digress I suppose electric engines cool for the future but blah rt now to me.

It would be a shame if Lexus went ahead and prioritized development of F versions on every model over development of BEVs. Dont think its something that the market wants either. If they were to develop F versions, it should be an "F-e" competing neck and neck with Porsche Taycan and Tesla Model-S. Demonstrating their engineering capabilities with electrical drives.

Throughout history, when has it ever been profitable to cling on to the past?

Last edited: