shizhi

Follower
Reactions
LF-30
19B40703-D317-4B09-9C8B-85C04A8E2C9A.jpeg71D321E0-9120-4261-8BBF-095CA8C7B9CC.jpeg8297B007-0E39-4F0D-BC84-CA44C9039713.jpeg

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-10-22-lexus-ev-lf-30-hero.jpg

Lexus debuted their new LF-30 Electrified Concept today at the Tokyo Motor Show, showcasing their vision for vehicles towards 2030. Here’s the full press release.

Lexus Electrified vision promises unmatched driver fulfillment and enjoyment of automobiles.
‘LF-30 Electrified’ new concept embodies the vision of Lexus’ electrification
Futuristic exterior foreshadows the Lexus Electrified vehicles towards 2030
An innovative, interior that leverages autonomous driving technologies, a newly designed cockpit, and other advancements
Boasting four in-wheel electric motors, steering by wire, and Lexus Advanced Posture Control, LF-30 can offer a dynamic experience unlike any currently available

TOKYO, JAPAN (October 23, 2019)―In its continued efforts to deliver innovative and amazing experiences, Lexus unveiled its “Lexus Electrified” vision for an upcoming generation of electrified vehicles. Headlining...

Continue reading...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The technology is amazing, but I’m not impressed at all. 2030? What about now? Oh that’s right... Sadly we’re getting a UX250e in November while Toyota gets the GS... I mean Mirai. Overall, what a disappointing year.

No GS, but the LF-30 has the "Airporter", so you can tell they're focused on real, deliverable, commercializable stuff.

The LF-30 Electrified also carries the 'Lexus Airporter' drone-technology support vehicle. Using autonomous control, the Lexus Airporter is capable of such tasks as independently transporting baggage from a household doorstep to the vehicle's luggage area.

Design is interesting, will be curious to see how it seeps into the production vehicles.

Reactions
This press release is just full of dumb jargon thrown around and throws random superlatives around to advertise this "thing". Also, barely any specifications were talked about, and the face LITERALLY looks like you're looking into a blackhole. Shocking that it weighs just a couple hundred pounds less than a Lexus LX. So much for a "compact" ca- *COUGHS* I should just stick to calling this a "thing". Decent power numbers though.

Lexus is just a shadow of it's former self. All these concepts I'm seeing are extremely forward thinking and stupidly futuristic (probably more futuristic than any other brands), but all their concepts just stay as...... concepts. Not to forget they're not building cars that consumers want, or if they are, they release sh*t at speeds tectonic plates move.

Pass.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This thing is way beyond reality of the near term. On the other hand the battery capacity of 110kWh looks early 2020-ish. I'm pretty sure in 2030 this class of vehicle will have 200kWh minimum. So I would say it's a blend of their short-term and long-term vision.

Full in-wheel motor torque vectoring is the holy grail of driving dynamics. It will completely redefine the driving experience and make today's ICE sports car look primitive. Imagine a family SUV with the dynamics of a Miata. If they plan to use them for 'a wide range of electrified vehicles' I am all for it. I am doubtful about this since I feel four-motor torque vectoring is just a lot of additional cost for some bit of fun so I don't expect that in, say, a NX-EV.

Four-motor torque vectoring is banned in all level of electrified motorsport. It will just lead to an infinite development war since the gains are just amazing.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This press release is just full of dumb jargon thrown around and throws random superlatives around to advertise this "thing". Also, barely any specifications were talked about, and the face LITERALLY looks like you're looking into a blackhole. Shocking that it weighs just a couple hundred pounds less than a Lexus LX. So much for a "compact" ca- *COUGHS* I should just stick to calling this a "thing". Decent power numbers though.

Lexus is just a shadow of it's former self. All these concepts I'm seeing are extremely forward thinking and stupidly futuristic (probably more futuristic than any other brands), but all their concepts just stay as...... concepts. Not to forget they're not building cars that consumers want, or if they are, they release sh*t at speeds tectonic plates move.

Pass.

It's not a compact city car. The dimensions clearly points to a full-size...thing because it's not a sedan nor a hatchback. 2400kg is actually reasonable for a BEV of that size.

Reactions
It's not a compact city car. The dimensions clearly points to a full-size...thing because it's not a sedan nor a hatchback. 2400kg is actually reasonable for a BEV of that size.

Weren't they originally saying they're going to show a compact concept before? Also that's what insider information said before no? But yeah I took another look again and you're definitely right. Still a no from me though.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Weren't they originally saying they're going to show a compact concept before? Also that's what insider information said before no? But yeah I took another look again and you're definitely right. Still a no from me though.

Lexus has confirmed today, in an announcement corresponding with the Tokyo auto show, that it will introduce its first production-bound electric car very soon—in November 2019.

Although Lexus said little more about that actual EV, it’s suspected to be what Lexus chief Koji Sato had previously described as a “tall, boxy hatchback.”

So maybe the production EV to be announced in november is the tall boxy one?

But the trademark was for UX300e, right? Is the UX considered tall and boxy?

EDIT: looking at the concept, it's like they turned the front spindle design into a giant lidar rig, that's funny.

Last edited:

phoenixss

Fan
Reactions
Sigh.... what is that ugly thing... please don’t make this to production or else I build my own EV out of a Pontiac Aztek which will look way better than this.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
This is just a marketing piece to make Lexus (Toyota) relevant in BEV segment and express their distant future vision. Technology is irrelevant for anything today, in-wheel electric motor is a pipe dream it's been in some form of development for way too long without any breakthrough. True, if anyone can solve it that's Toyota with their piles of cash but will they see any reasonable return if it doesn't significantly outperform current e-motors with differential in either performance or manufacturing cost?

Unfortunately nothing to see here.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
This thing is way beyond reality of the near term. On the other hand the battery capacity of 110kWh looks early 2020-ish. I'm pretty sure in 2030 this class of vehicle will have 200kWh minimum. So I would say it's a blend of their short-term and long-term vision.

Full in-wheel motor torque vectoring is the holy grail of driving dynamics. It will completely redefine the driving experience and make today's ICE sports car look primitive. Imagine a family SUV with the dynamics of a Miata. If they plan to use them for 'a wide range of electrified vehicles' I am all for it. I am doubtful about this since I feel four-motor torque vectoring is just a lot of additional cost for some bit of fun so I don't expect that in, say, a NX-EV.

Four-motor torque vectoring is banned in all level of electrified motorsport. It will just lead to an infinite development war since the gains are just amazing.
I've been telling people on another forum that now I want a BEV with torque vectoring (even if just on the rear axle) and they laugh at me and say it's not possible for $70+k CAD. Heck, Honda already uses electric SH-AWD on its NSX, RLX and MDX hybrids.

Even the Taycan doesn't come equip with electric torque vectoring. I think the PTV Plus is a carry over from its ICEVs.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
So the number of ovals is the number of BEVs or HV/PHV's to be released that year? Perfectly fine for me with one BEV in 2020, 2022 and 2024 and maybe more by 2025.

It's almost like those old SNES Super Gundam turn by turn strategy game lol.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
What are we looking at? Is it from Lexus?
So the number of ovals is the number of BEVs or HV/PHV's to be released that year? Perfectly fine for me with one BEV in 2020, 2022 and 2024 and maybe more by 2025.
Like @Will1991 , I'm wondering whether that chart is for the Lexus brand only or for Toyota as a whole. Probably for Lexus only, since the Toyota brand is expected to launch a couple of EVs of its own in 2020.