Front End design

Reactions
I have a classic Mercedes and decided to buy a Lexus SUV last year for everyday use. However, because of the ugliest, if not scariest looking front grill, Lexus lost a new customer. What a darn shame. How could anyone design something like this and what's wrong with senior management for approving it? It looks like the creature in the movie, Preditor, and on another website forum someone commented that it looks like an open mouth tree rat. Since there is still no design improvement, there won't be a Lexus SUV in my driveway. Way to go, Lexus.

Reactions
Styling is very subjective.
I like the RX's new styling.

You and a few others may not like it, but the past several years, the RX has set new record sales for itself with nearly 110k units/year in the USA, and the RX is also currently America's biggest selling luxury vehicle.

Mercedes generally styles vehicles most consistently, yet even Mercedes is not 100% perfect; eg the old 2009-16 E Class's styling was arguably less attractive than other Benz's.
Even more so, Lexus is not 100% perfect, nor 100% consistent either.
I would be more worried about the styling of a couple of other Lexus models like the forthcoming LM/LQ luxury multipurpose vehicle.

The RX's styling is little to worry about.

Spwolf loves it when I sell TMC vehicles for him...

2016-Lexus-RX350-F-SPORT-1.jpg

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
The RX is selling very well. Now we have the RX 350L/450hL variant. I would like to get an RX 350L F Sport but doesn't exist yet...

2014 - 107,490
2015 - 100,610
2016 - 109,435
2017 - 108,307
2018 - 41,197 YTD, Projected 107,000

Reactions
I have a classic Mercedes and decided to buy a Lexus SUV last year for everyday use. However, because of the ugliest, if not scariest looking front grill, Lexus lost a new customer. What a darn shame. How could anyone design something like this and what's wrong with senior management for approving it? It looks like the creature in the movie, Preditor, and on another website forum someone commented that it looks like an open mouth tree rat. Since there is still no design improvement, there won't be a Lexus SUV in my driveway. Way to go, Lexus.
Yes, please buy something else, by all means.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
The RX is selling very well regardless if the original poster of this thread dislikes the spindle grill. Now we have the RX 350L/450hL variant. I would like to get an RX 350L F Sport but doesn't exist yet...

2013 - 103,920
2014 - 107,490
2015 - 100,610
2016 - 109,435
2017 - 108,307
2018 - 70,706 YTD-Jan thru Aug, Projected 107,000

Rockville

Fan
Reactions
Anything new is shocking to the brain until it gets accustomed to it. The spindle grill design has been around for three model years and sells so well that it has a dominant market share in its segment. Mercedes and other Premium brands all use Premium gas. The RX350 uses 87 Octane which saves about 60 cents a gallon. Consumer reports just ranked the Lexus number one in reliability. Pretty easy choice really.

Reactions
There is no question that the Lexus SUV is a great car. For many reasons other than its design, I would have bought it. After all, reliability and ride enjoyment trump the appearance of a front grill. But I dont want to consider long term for getting used to it. I think it's cool for the Lexus sporty line...just not for the SUV which to me gives it a clunky look. Until the SUV design changes, as design usually does over time, there are other well rated fish in the sea to choose from.

Rockville

Fan
Reactions
Guess what the number one cost of ownership is? It’s depreciation. Here again the Lexus does very well because of its great demand in the secondary market. Buying a new car/SUV is not a rational decision but also an emotional one. Only you can tell if a model meets your criteria.

The Lexus RX is very safe. I witnessed an offset crash test and the test dummy was unscathed. They apply paint on the dummy just before the test so it will leave a mark if it hits anything. The SOS system calls in for emergency assistance. You have a long list of safety system items like lane keep assist, intelligent clearance sonar, dynamic radar cruise control, pedestrian detection and auto high beams. The system will suggest a cup of coffee if you are wavering.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Anything new is shocking to the brain until it gets accustomed to it. The spindle grill design has been around for three model years and sells so well that it has a dominant market share in its segment.

I disagree with part of this. Yes, the RX sells well.....but it always has, going all the back to the 1Gen model in the late 1990s. It sells, not because of the spindle grille, but because of its all-around utility, comfort, reliability, and excellent reputation. In short, it sells in spite of the grille.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
2012 - 95,381
2013 - 103,920
2014 - 107,490
2015 - 100,610
2016 - 109,435
2017 - 108,307
2018 - 88,171 YTD - Jan thru Oct, Projected 107,000

Reactions
I disagree with part of this. Yes, the RX sells well.....but it always has, going all the back to the 1Gen model in the late 1990s. It sells, not because of the spindle grille, but because of its all-around utility, comfort, reliability, and excellent reputation. In short, it sells in spite of the grille.

You do realize Lexus sales did actually shoot through the roof worldwide because of their new generation design language right? This new take in design garnered so much more interest from customers towards the Lexus brand among other things as well. I have to disagree.

In spite of its all-around utility, comfort, reliability and excellent reputation (as you smartly put it), helping the RX generate lots of sales from the get-go as well. But with the application of the spindle grille, it became even that much better.

It was so radical that the styling didn't make much sense when it was introduced in 2015. However as time progressed, it became a knock out of the park. I genuinely commend Lexus for really breaking barriers and giving zero sh*ts about what the norm is. I love it when trashy automotive journalists, Jalopnik users, and people like Jonny Lieberman (who actually ridicules people who like the new design language for Lexus) fume at the success of the RX.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You do realize Lexus sales did actually shoot through the roof worldwide because of their new generation design language right? This new take in design garnered so much more interest from customers towards the Lexus brand among other things as well.

Here are a couple of good articles on the subject.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...ints-from-longtime-owners-over-spindle-grille

https://www.motor1.com/news/228102/lexus-spindle-grille-design-controversy/

Reactions

I remember reading those articles. But I think its a sacrifice that they need to make to forge on. I still think that longtime Lexus customers can still warm up and be accustomed to their new design language. I remember the first time I saw their design language fully radicalized on the 4RX and I couldn't help but wince at the gaping grille. However, with only a few months (weeks maybe) I really started to dig it. I think these guys will think the same way as well. Once they see there is no other better substitute to their needs than Lexus, then they'll fall right back into a dealership and walk out with another Lexus.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Update of RX sales:

2011 - 82,595
2012 - 95,381
2013 - 103,920
2014 - 107,490
2015 - 100,610
2016 - 109,435
2017 - 108,307
2018 - 98,419 YTD - Jan thru Nov, Projected 108,000 - 110,000
Total = 806,157

Last edited:
Reactions
My wife and I felt the exact same way about the RX grill when we first started shopping for a luxury SUV. So much so, that she kept looking for a low mileage 2015. Then one night, we test drove a 2018. It was like magic, because once we stepped out of the vehicle and walked around it, we both fell in love with the very aggressive, even polarizing front end. Can't explain how it happened, but we are thrilled with how it looks (even if the non-Lexus owning neighbors/extended family think it is ugly).

Rockville

Fan
Reactions
The brain loses its shock response over time. Someday Lexus may abandon the Spindle grille but each new iteration is more elaborate. I admire the new grilles on the UX. The LS grille has similarities to modern bridge design or the old wire wheels.
These could be described as art or sculpture. The radiator is the reason to have a grille. On the new Tesla 3 there is very little left of the grille look. It looks clean and modern in its own way too. When Lexus enters the full plug in mode market will it still insist on its homage to the looming mill in the front fascia?