Fresh New Details on the 2017 Lexus IS & IS F SPORT

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I like the new dash refinements pod around the gauges, the more upright Power button, soft materials around the HVAC/center console and even the laser-etched wood on non-F-Sport models.

What I didn't like with my '14 IS F Sport and still is the case with the '17 is the rather cheap looking faux-CF/aluminum plastic trim on the dash and around the window controls. Where's the real aluminum like the Germans offer?

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
I've been quite MIA for the past few months but that's mainly because there haven't been many updates on this site in terms of new cars.

Call me a traitor but end of last year, after moving to the UK, I've bought myself a 2015 C Class Mercedes.

To be honest, neither Toyota/Lexus have given me the same feeling of sturdiness as Mercedes has or any Japanese vehicle for that matter. I've driven Nissan/Infiniti, Mitsubushi, Honda and Toyota.

Some of you may like it but Japanese vehicles have this plastic look to them. While looking at the interior of the 2017 IS, I couldn't help but notice that it has that plastic look that my 2008 IS and the 2013 Avalon had.

When I look at the exterior, I get that same feeling. The thing is, it's not far from the truth but it doesn't have to be. There are sensory steps/measures they can take to make plastic feel and/or look like metal through weights, tougher springs, paint, whatever.

Now don't think that what I am saying is that the C Class does not have plastic, it does, a lot. However, they've done all they can to make that plastic look and feel like a million bucks.

I've said it a million times. Lexus needs to stop it with that plastic look. Lexus needs to divorce itself from Toyota. Lexus needs to start building their cars from scratch and Toyota should take the scraps left behind rather than Lexus save money in R&D/manufacturing by sharing parts/plants with Toyota.

Lexus must lead and Toyota must follow. Just like Porsche/Audi -> VW even though VW owns all of them.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I've been quite MIA for the past few months but that's mainly because there haven't been many updates on this site in terms of new cars.

Call me a traitor but end of last year, after moving to the UK, I've bought myself a 2015 C Class Mercedes.

To be honest, neither Toyota/Lexus have given me the same feeling of sturdiness as Mercedes has or any Japanese vehicle for that matter. I've driven Nissan/Infiniti, Mitsubushi, Honda and Toyota.

Some of you may like it but Japanese vehicles have this plastic look to them. While looking at the interior of the 2017 IS, I couldn't help but notice that it has that plastic look that my 2008 IS and the 2013 Avalon had.

When I look at the exterior, I get that same feeling. The thing is, it's not far from the truth but it doesn't have to be. There are sensory steps/measures they can take to make plastic feel and/or look like metal through weights, tougher springs, paint, whatever.

Now don't think that what I am saying is that the C Class does not have plastic, it does, a lot. However, they've done all they can to make that plastic look and feel like a million bucks.

I've said it a million times. Lexus needs to stop it with that plastic look. Lexus needs to divorce itself from Toyota. Lexus needs to start building their cars from scratch and Toyota should take the scraps left behind rather than Lexus save money in R&D/manufacturing by sharing parts/plants with Toyota.

Lexus must lead and Toyota must follow. Just like Porsche/Audi -> VW even though VW owns all of them.

Sounds like an honest, insightful perspective. My once blinding loyalty to Lexus IS slowly being chipped away with recent changes. I ❤️ Matador Red Mica and they eliminated it from the IS line. I hate 4-cylinder anything and now the base versions of the IS, ES, RC and GS have one. Really don't care much for the redesign of the IS so much. So...keep my '15 IS F Sport to term (I usually trade out up to a year early). My ES is up in May and I will be taking a hard, open minded look at what is out there. Doing some manufacturer ride and drive events in the next 30 days prior to the SEMA Show, so plenty to ingest and form opinions. I AM super excited about the LC but that is way out of my price range. Appreciate your input.

Reactions
Not really diggin the exterior update....the new LED headlights would have been the only standout item but looks like NA markets are not getting them??? sad

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
This is a great question -- have to think these headlights would have been featured in the photos if they were coming to America.
I checked their new product brochure for new IS and triple beam headlights are not listed as a standard feature or options to choose in anywhere in this pdf. Check it out here http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/2017-lexusis-sedan-product-specifications.htm . I was considering buying this new Lexus to replace my old 2008 IS but now with a new set of halogen turn signal lights, which is much uglier than my old 2008 IS, I would not.

yiantony

Fan
Reactions

I personally don't like the new c class interior and it's because of the glossy plastic panel. They only look new when it's new. And since they are plastic, they are so easily scratched, which would make your look much worse when it's 8 years old, your and my 08 is. I'm still a big fan of Lexus Interior but their lights in recent sedans and coupes had almost made me a Lexus hater.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Sounds like an honest, insightful perspective. My once blinding loyalty to Lexus IS slowly being chipped away with recent changes. I ❤️ Matador Red Mica and they eliminated it from the IS line.

Agreed. For years, auto marketers have been the bane of my existence. They'll drive you nuts if you let them. Eventually, though, you tend to find something else that you like. ;)

I hate 4-cylinder anything and now the base versions of the IS, ES, RC and GS have one.

You can thank the government for that. CAFE regulations are the main reason why we're seeing so many 2.0L turbo fours in luxury-grade vehicles that used to come standard with N/A V6s.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Ahh...yes...the old CAFE predicament.
Read this on USA Today in the Money: Autos section. Turns out the price for amazing fuel economy will be the loss of six figure quantity jobs in the automotive industry. What price progress?

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Study: Auto jobs would suffer under gas-mileage standards

http://usat.ly/2dpk6mi

The non-partisan Center for Automotive Research concluded that U.S. auto factories and parts operations could slash up to 137,900 jobs through 2025 if the federal government's Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards remain in effect.

The Michigan-based non-profit's study comes amid a debate between the auto industry and Washington policymakers over CAFE standards, which require automaker fleets to average 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025.

The Obama administration implemented aggressive gas-mileage targets to jolt the economy and reduce carbon emissions, which contribute to climate change. Regulators signaled earlier this year that they're unlikely to make significant changes.

"Automakers are developing far more technologies to improve fuel economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, at similar or lower costs, than we thought possible just a few years ago," Janet McCabe, acting assistant administrator for the EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation, said in a statement in July. "They are adopting these fuel-saving technologies into their fleets even faster than anticipated.”

But the auto industry wants the 2025 standards to be rolled back, arguing that the targets are too aggressive, particularly considering low gas prices.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, another common/familiar story (over last several decades on safety, emissions and fuel efficiency standards with doomsday predictions by automakers). And what price for non-progress?

Oh yea, no IS-F.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, another common/familiar story (over last several decades on safety, emissions and fuel efficiency standards with doomsday predictions by automakers). And what price for non-progress?

Oh yea, no IS-F.

My strong guess is that the next IS-F (if it ever comes) will have a twin-turbo V6. We're already seeing some of that in potential rivals.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-10-05-lexus-is-2017-update.jpg

The newly revised sports sedan also gets some suspension changes for 2017.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Yes, seems that the Triple-Beam LEDs seem to only be available overseas : unamused:

Reactions
Yes, seems that the Triple-Beam LEDs seem to only be available overseas : unamused:

Bummer. The triple LED headlights are available on the 2017 RC 350 I ordered them on mine). It wasn't an option in 2016. Hopefully they will change that on the IS. I was just looking at the optional LED headlights on the 2017 Audi A3 and they are much cooler that the Lexus triple LED lights as far as function.

Last edited:

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
Bummer. The triple LED headlights are available on the 2017 RC 350 I ordered them on mine). It wasn't an option in 2016. Hopefully they will change that on the IS. I was just looking at the optional LED headlights on the 2017 Audi A3 and they are much cooler that the Lexus triple LED lights and far as function.
Did they give you msrp or with some discount?

Reactions
Did they give you msrp or with some discount?

Little bit of a discount. It won't arrive until the end of the month so hopefully the Lexus December 2 Remember programs starts 1 November and they have some good incentives. They have pretty good programs on the 2016 RC right now.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I personally don't like the new c class interior and it's because of the glossy plastic panel. They only look new when it's new. And since they are plastic, they are so easily scratched, which would make your look much worse when it's 8 years old, your and my 08 is. I'm still a big fan of Lexus Interior but their lights in recent sedans and coupes had almost made me a Lexus hater.

new audi interiors are full of plastics, and bmws always were.

mikeavelli

Reactions
New A4 outsold it in January. I wonder if that will continue..... I just think the new styling is a bit too much, I found pre-MMC damn near perfect...interior also is showing its age compared to the Germans....

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I was driving around the downtown Toronto area and I noticed a billboard advertisement for the new IS that read:
AUTONOMY NOT AUTONOMOUS
Whatever that means...