Ford introduces EcoSport subcompact CUV to the American market.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Pics taken with common iPhone6S.

Ecothing was locked and wasn't drawing any attention. No sign of upcoming Bronco or Ranger. Certainly any delays with Ranger are significant lost revenue and profit opportunities for Ford.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
^ Pics taken with common iPhone6S.

Obviously beats my IPhone4 LOL.

Ecothing was locked and wasn't drawing any attention.

That's interesting, considering how hot mini-CUVs are nowadays. We'll see if it draws any crowds at Detroit or D.C. When the Honda HR-V was first displayed here, it was like bees around honey.

Certainly any delays with Ranger are significant lost revenue and profit opportunities for Ford.

The way the Chevy Colorado is selling, I'd tend to agree. From what I understand, The Ranger (and maybe the Bronco?) is going to be built in the same plant as the (former) Focus, after transfer of Focus production to Mexico. if it materializes, though, Trump's threat to levy a 35% tariff on American-badged imports, might (?) impact on those future plans.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
That's interesting, considering how hot mini-CUVs are nowadays. We'll see if it draws any crowds at Detroit or D.C. When the Honda HR-V was first displayed here, it was like bees around honey.

Just a few reasons why Ford Ecothing attracted zero attention:

. It's ugly and puny.

. Compact CUVs are still way hotter than mini CUV category in US (for example CRV outsells HRV and CX5 outsells CX3 handily). Not sure about "bees around honey", since it was more about flies on poop possibly, lol.

. Not to mention demographics for typical attendees at SF show, biggest show of its kind in a highest income metro region in the US. The city of SF is generating tech jobs at faster pace than even Silicon Valley proper or anywhere else in US.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Just a few reasons why Ford Ecothing attracted zero attention:

It's ugly and puny.

Yes, you have made your opinion of it quite clear.

Compact CUVs are still way hotter than mini CUV category in US (for example CRV outsells HRV and CX5 outsells CX3 handily). Not sure about "bees around honey", since it was more about flies on poop possibly, lol.

Again, I was just using a metaphor and being facetious. ;) I'd agree that compact (C-Class) CUVs currently outsell mini-CUVs (B-Class), but that appears to be for two reasons. First, their overall seating, power level, and driving comfort is significantly better. Second, simply more of them are offered in the American market, although that may change with future B-Class CUV offerings from Acura and Lexus. Upmarket/premium brands don't currently offer any American-market B-Class subs, but we do have a rather large number of upmarket C-Class CUVs here.

Not to mention demographics for typical attendees at SF show, biggest show of its kind in a highest income metro region in the US. The city of SF is generating tech jobs at faster pace than even Silicon Valley proper or anywhere else in US.

No arguments there. Your area and mine are (now) considered the two highest-income metro areas in the country. Yours because of high-tech...mine because of Government combined with high-tech.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
No arguments there. Your area and mine are (now) considered the two highest-income metro areas in the country. Yours because of high-tech...mine because of Government combined with high-tech.

Lol, on a lighter note, please note there is no need here to "argue" every single point, especially if response is not relevant, accurate or just based on sweeping generalizations. (This is not CL thankfully;)). Btw-Regarding metro areas with highest median household incomes, number 2 region is NY/NJ, DC is number 3.

On topic, maybe Ford will have a better entry into this growing segment sooner than later.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It will be interesting to see if Lincoln picks up on and does a version of this......I wouldn't bet on it, though. Automotive opinions seem split on the question if a sub-compact (B-Class) upmarket/luxury market exists in the U.S, as it clearly does for compact (C-class) SUVs/CUVs.

Of course, the closest thing we have to that now in the U.S. to a B-class luxury CUV (the Buick Encore, even though Buick is not considered a full-luxury brand) is going out the door like free beer at Clancy's bar LOL. The Encore, though, has a relatively bargain price (and good reliability) that Lincoln probably couldn't match.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I got to see the EcoSport today at the Washington, D.C. Auto Show, out on the floor but still locked up because it was a prototype. It was (apparently) the same bright blue one that was there at the San Francisco show. I won't upload the shots I took of it today, though, because Steve actually got some better shots above with his camera :thumbsup:than I did with mine....the lighting in the Ford display there in SF was better than the lighting at the Ford display here in D.C.

I have some good vibes about this vehicle. :) Though I've sometimes been wrong before, I think it is going to sell like hotcakes. It's exactly what a lot of potential CUV buyers are looking for.....slim trim size for easy parking and manuverability, a conservative high-roofline design for space efficiency while avoiding the Funk-a-Delic looks of some of the competition, good control-layout inside that appears relatively easy to use, and the AWD option for winter. In addition, although final pricing hasn't been announced yet, the mainstream Ford nameplate should give it a low enough price-range that even a lot of potential low-income people will be able to afford it. It would make an ideal gift for a teen-age son or daughter going away to school in a climate with rough winters.

I signed up at the show (as usual) for the Ford/Lincoln test-drive pre-paid debit card offers, and wanted to use the Ford offer for an EcoSport test-drive. But, unfortunately, it won't be released into the American market until late in the year. (I ran into the same problem the last few years with the Lincoln MKC, MKX, and Continental, when I wanted to use the Lincoln offer on them). Both offers expire on March 30 each year....so you have to use them relatively quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions
I signed up at the show (as usual) for the Ford/Lincoln test-drive pre-paid debit card offers, and wanted to use the Ford offer for an EcoSport test-drive. But, unfortunately, it won't be released into the American market until late in the year. (I ran into the same problem the last few years with the Lincoln MKC, MKX, and Continental, when I wanted to use the Lincoln offer on them). Both offers expire on March 30 each year....so you have to use them relatively quickly.
Go test drive a Focus RS instead :D

If not, I'm sure the Ford store will gladly let you drive a Mustang, and a Focus or Fiesta ST would also be good drives as well.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Go test drive a Focus RS instead :D

If not, I'm sure the Ford store will gladly let you drive a Mustang, and a Focus or Fiesta ST would also be good drives as well.

You can drive anything you want for the offer. I just know a number of people, though, who may need a new vehicle soon, who would find the EcoSport just about perfect for their daily needs.

I talked with a young man, there at the Ford display, who had recently bought a Fiesta ST. He admits it is harsh and uncomfortable on rough pavement, but a blast to drive on smooth winding roads. When I told him how unreliable the Fiesta's (and Focus) dual-clutch automatic can be, he was also glad, of course, that he had avoided that potential problem by getting a traditional three-pedal manual. Manuals, though, can be a PITA in dense stop-and-go traffic....one reason for their demise.

Reactions
I talked with a young man, there at the Ford display, who had recently bought a Fiesta ST. He admits it is harsh and uncomfortable on rough pavement, but a blast to drive on smooth winding roads. When I told him how unreliable the Fiesta's (and Focus) dual-clutch automatic can be, he was also glad, of course, that he had avoided that potential problem by getting a traditional three-pedal manual. Manuals, though, can be a PITA in dense stop-and-go traffic....one reason for their demise.
The only ones I'd consider are the enthusiast models ST or RS, but of course, regular non-stick commuter models I would more likely go for Japanese brands.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The only ones I'd consider are the enthusiast models ST or RS, but of course, regular non-stick commuter models I would more likely go for Japanese brands.

I agree that the Japanese sub-compact CUVs will probably be more reliable. But, given the way the Escape has sold, even with a lower-than-average reliability ranking from Consumer reports, I'm confident the EcoSport will sell. The Ecosport, unlike some of the Japanese rivals (Juke, C-HR, CX-3, etc...) is styled in a squarish way (though not so much as the Jeep Renegade) that tends to help with interior space efficiency and outward visibility......factors that are important to some people.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Ford had an EcoSport out on the floor at the D.C. show Friday (not up on a turntable), but I couldn't get inside of it because they had it locked up....the excuse was that it was a pre-production, hand-made vehicle, and they couldn't open it. IMO that's BS, because a Ford zone-manager himself, a few years ago, opened up a locked C-Max for me, when it was first displayed at the show, and allowed me to check out and get some shots of the interior. I'm going back to the show today (I can only put in a few hours each day because of my back and knees), and I'll see if anybody there at Ford will unlock it. I know several persons who are strongly interested in this vehicle, asked me to look at it for them because they can't get to the show, and are (likely potential) buyers.

Strictly judging from the exterior, though, IMO, this is the best-designed B-Class CUV I've seen yet in the American market. Unlike most of its competition, it doesn't look like a circus clown, Star-Wars hardware, or like it went halfway through a crusher. ;)

(Steve.....I didn't post the EcoSport images I myself took at the D.C. show, because the lighting directly above the EcoSport they had displayed was rather dim and not conducive to good shots. The ones you took at the SF show and posted here were much better). :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...g-gates-what-people-are-saying-about-the-ford
AR-302079939.jpg

Cute-utes and swinging gates: What people are saying about the Ford EcoSport

Ford is arriving late to one of the hottest segments in the U.S. auto industry: subcompact crossovers. U.S. sales in the segment surged 30 percent to just more than half a million vehicles in 2016, and demand has remained strong in 2017, with January volume rising 21 percent.

Ford will formally offer a subcompact crossover when the North American version of the EcoSport goes on sale in early 2018. It was unveiled at the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show. The vehicle was introduced in 2003 in South America. In 2015, Ford said it sold just more than 250,000 EcoSports globally in 140 countries, and it has delivered 1.7 million worldwide since its introduction. Here’s what people are saying about the EcoSport.

“Curiously, the EcoSport uses a side-hinge gate, rather than a liftgate -- the traditional means of opening a rear hatch. Toyota gave up on this configuration when redesigning the current RAV4, adjusting to the convention used by competitors. It would seem the EcoSport would be particularly well-suited for urban dwellers seeking a versatile, easy-to-park car, but the space needed to open a side-hinged gate can present challenges when parked curbside.”

-- Jeff S. Bartlett, Consumer Reports

“The EcoSport features styling cues that are a blend of the Ford Fiesta and Ford Escape -- which is sort of what the EcoSport is, really. The SUV's footprint is very similar to that of the Fiesta hatchback, but its greenhouse is a bit more upright and there's a tad more ground clearance to work with.

“Out back is a rear gate that swings horizontally like a door rather than vertically like a hatchback. Room for people and cargo and the general proportions of the EcoSport remind me of the Kia Soul, which will be one of its fiercest competitors. (Can you even consider cars this cute ‘fierce’?)”

-- Antuan Goodwin, Roadshow by CNET

FordEcoSport.jpg

“The interior will feel familiar to you if you’ve spent time in a current-generation Focus or Fiesta. In the few moments I spent in the car, it felt comfortable and well designed, and surprisingly spacious with a few minor imperfections. It’s not a luxury car -- there’s still that familiar oily-looking plastic, but it should suit its prospective buyers very well. It should be noted that the car I sat in was a pre-production model, so we’ll reserve judgment for when we get a look at the production version.”

-- Rory Carroll, Autoweek

“Unless you’re legally blind, you’ve noticed the proliferation of cute-utes on American highways and byways. Tiny little 5-door hatchbacks, raised up high like they’re standing on tippy-toes, and providing SUV utility combined with weather-beating all-wheel drive for a relative bargain, subcompact crossovers are increasingly the vehicle of choice for a broad cross-section of consumers.

“For 2018, Ford finally joins the fray with the new EcoSport (pronounce it echo-sport). Based on a vehicle sold in other parts of the world, the new EcoSport slots into Ford’s robust SUV lineup beneath the Escape, and comes in basic S, value-laded SE, sporty SES and upscale Titanium trim levels.

“From its platform and powertrains to its styling and technology, the new 2018 EcoSport is a veritable smorgasbord of Ford. While a lightly used and larger Escape probably makes more sense, the lure of the new car is strong, and especially in the more expensive SES and Titanium trims, Ford makes it easy to accept less in order to get more.”

-- Christian Wardlaw, New York Daily News

“Don't look for the EcoSport to be an off-roader like the Renegade, but it should be capable of crawling up more than just a dirt road thanks to its global origination. After all, it needs to be as useful in Siberia as it does in South Beach to be a success.

“The American EcoSport eschews the heavy and bulky rear door-mounted spare tire that's offered in markets where roads are more prone to smash up some rubber. With its swept-up belt line, it shares a lot in common with the Chevy Trax, although the EcoSport has a more delicate and refined look up front with a grille that could have been plucked from the automaker's Edge.”

-- Andrew Ganz, The Car Connection

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
“Curiously, the EcoSport uses a side-hinge gate, rather than a liftgate -- the traditional means of opening a rear hatch. Toyota gave up on this configuration when redesigning the current RAV4, adjusting to the convention used by competitors. It would seem the EcoSport would be particularly well-suited for urban dwellers seeking a versatile, easy-to-park car, but the space needed to open a side-hinged gate can present challenges when parked curbside.”

That's a good point about the side-opening rear hatch, though, if it's done correctly, you are not likely to have problems. (That means, in the U.S. and in other left-hand drive markets, hinged on the left so, when parallel-parked, you don't have to stand out in traffic to load or unload things). Early American-market versions of the Honda CR-V, in the late 1990s, had a problem with that because, for some unknown reason (maybe cost-cutting?), its designers did not reverse the hinges and handle in back, which were designed for the home Japanese market and other right-hand-drive countries. That was a significant complaint from 1Gen CR-V owners in left-hand-drive markets....they had to stand out further away from the curb, when loading/unloading, that was ideal (and sometimes safe) under the circumstances. Honda, of course, corrected that on the 2Gen version. But, if Ford does it correctly (which, apparently it has done) for the American market. it will likely have the hinges and handle on the correct applicable side, so I don't foresee any major problems. I admit, though, that that's something I should have probably checked a little closer at the D.C. auto show. Ford had an EcoSport out on the floor, publicly accessible and not blocked off, but locked up because it was a pre-production version, so one could not open the doors or hatch. Still, even though one could not physically open them up, the outside handles were still there for everyone to see up close....I just did not notice that feature.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Wonder if this will eventually lead to a Lincoln version? There's been a lot of debate in the auto press (and in this forum) about the so-called need for upmarket/premium B-class sub-compact CUV/crossover AWD vehicles, but, so far, none have been introduced in the American market. All of the ones here so far in America (EcoSport, Trax, CX-3, HR-V, Juke, Renegade, 500X, Mini Countryman, etc...) have come from bread-and-butter nameplates. With the possible exception of the B-class Buick Encore, the ones here from premium-grade manufacturers are (so far) all compact C-class or larger....including the upcoming, yet-to-be-introduced Cadillac XT3.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the CH-R is going to kill this thing...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the CH-R is going to kill this thing...

Probably going to end up being an interesting race. Both Ford and Toyota have shown a previous ability to sell small SUVs in huge numbers. And, of the two, the EcoSport seems to have the more mainstream design....the CH-R will appeal more to the less-conservative, and, perhaps, those less-concerned with space-efficiency.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Based on pics, the EcoSport looks like Ford's typical approach with a new product. Gen 1 is garbage and then they follow up with a very successful Gen 2. It's like the Toyota of the late 90s and early 2000s.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Based on pics, the EcoSport looks like Ford's typical approach with a new product. Gen 1 is garbage and then they follow up with a very successful Gen 2. It's like the Toyota of the late 90s and early 2000s.

????? Not sure I'm following you. In the American market, this is the 1Gen version. We don't have any idea what the net-generation (assuming there is one) will be like.