Ford introduces EcoSport subcompact CUV to the American market.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Ford is introducing what seems to be the the first American-badged subcompact SUV in the American market (though the Chevy Trax/Buick Encore could be considered marginally subcompact-sized, as they come off the Chevy Sonic platform). The EcoSport looks to me like a interesting design that, judging at least from Escape and Explorer sales in the compact/mid-size crossover SUV category, should do quite well against the Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3, and Nissan Juke. But other small Ford (and Lincoln) products in he American have had reliability problems of late, so Ford has to take some care this time that they get this vehicle right, both mechanically and electronically.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/14/2018-ford-ecosport-subcompact-suv-america/

You knew it was coming, and here it is: Ford officially pulled the covers off its EcoSport subcompact SUV today ahead of the LA Auto Show. The timing could hardly be better. According to Ford, there were about 70,000 subcompact 'utes sold in 2011, which makes the 276,000 sold in 2015 a four-fold increase. And by 2020, the Blue Oval expects 2015's total to double. Considering the Ford EcoSport is the best-selling compact SUV outside the United States, the automaker seems likely to become a segment leader in short order.

The Ford EcoSport is nothing if not cute. The automaker's well-worn and angular fascia leads the way, followed by a steeply raked windshield. Upright sides and muscular wheel arches lead the eyes to a prominent C-pillar. Faux skid plates front and rear join lower-bodyside cladding to lend a modestly appropriate off-road look. Not that anyone will ever actually take an EcoSport very far off the beaten path, of course. Four trim levels will be available, starting with S, moving to SE, SES, and finally Titanium. Pricing has not yet been announced.

slide_0004.jpg

slide_0009.jpg
slide_0014.jpg

Inside, the EcoSport can look mature or extroverted, with the SES model getting copper trim and seat accents. An eight-inch screen floats above the center stack and features Sync 3, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, all of which can send tunes through an optional 10-speaker, 675-watt B&O PLAY audio system from Harman.

Power comes from either a 1.0-liter turbocharged EcoBoost three-cylinder for front-wheel-drive models or a 2.0-liter four-cylinder for buyers who opt for four-wheel drive. Horsepower and fuel efficiency aren't yet available, but both engines will be paired with a six-speed automatic transmission when the EcoSport goes on sale in early 2018.

If you want to see the new EcoSport in person, you're in luck... assuming you live near Hollywood, that is. Register here for tickets to Ford's Go Small, Live Big experience, which runs on for two nights starting on Tuesday, November 15. There'll be plenty of live music and Snapchatting, along with lots of local food vendors, and, um... tiny houses. And even a bunch of tiny rescue animals – hedgehogs! – and exercise equipment.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well it's quite likely to ride and drive even worse than the mediocre Ford Escape. Also the styling inside and out looks very cheap. The platform is based on the Ford Fiesta, not even the Ford Focus.

Yes, anything "ute" or "crossover" these days will very likely sell. However the really big downside to this is some automakers are using this as an excuse to sell all sorts of mediocre and below-average products just to have more and more models on the "crossover" bandwagon to make more money. Ford is one of the biggest offenders here, but there are several other major automakers engaging in this.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well it's quite likely to ride and drive even worse than the mediocre Ford Escape. Also the styling inside and out looks very cheap. The platform is based on the Ford Fiesta, not even the Ford Focus.

Yes, anything "ute" or "crossover" these days will very likely sell. However the really big downside to this is some automakers are using this as an excuse to sell all sorts of mediocre and below-average products just to have more and more models on the "crossover" bandwagon to make more money. Ford is one of the biggest offenders here, but there are several other major automakers engaging in this.

I've sampled the latest-generation Escape, and while I agree it is not best in class by any means, I'd rate it a little better than mediocre (except for the awful back seat, which is like a park-bench-slab LOL). Of course, as you note, the EcoSport is based on the even smaller Fiesta platform....so, no, it's not likely to have stellar road manners.

In general, though, buyers who spring for a vehicle like this probably aren't looking for much. It is basically a cheap, inexpensive way to get into something AWD and space-efficient for bad weather....and that offers more ground clearance than a similarly-priced Subaru Impreza.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I've sampled the latest-generation Escape, and while I agree it is not best in class by any means, though I'd rate it a little better than mediocre (except for the awful back seat, which is like a park-bench-slab LOL). Of course, as you note, the EcoSport is based on the even smaller Fiesta platform....so, no, it's not likely to have stellar road manners.

In general, though, buyers who spring for a vehicle like this probably aren't looking for much. They are basically a cheap, inexpensive way to get into something AWD and space-efficient for bad weather....and that offers more ground clearance than a similarly-priced Subaru Impreza.

To compare, there are entrants like the Honda HR-V, which isn't much as it's based on the Fit platform. Apparently the HR-V rides okay, but personally I've never liked Honda's ride/handling suspension tuning. I'm not familiar with all the entrants in this segment, but most are based on subcompact platforms. The coming Toyota CH-R, despite my general distaste for the styling, is actually on the brand new TNGA-C platform which it shares with the Prius. So that is not a subcompact platform, but a more premium platform. Also the Toyota C-HR gets a multi-link rear suspension, which is very rare for this segment.

I stand by my statements of mediocrity and Ford's efforts here. Also the Escape personally has many more problems than I listed, but I won't get into that.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
To compare, there are entrants like the Honda HR-V, which isn't much as it's based on the Fit platform. Apparently the HR-V rides okay, but personally I've never liked Honda's ride/handling suspension tuning. I'm not familiar with all the entrants in this segment, but most are based on subcompact platforms. The coming Toyota CH-R, despite my general distaste for the styling, is actually on the brand new TNGA-C platform which it shares with the Prius. So that is not a subcompact platform, but a more premium platform. Also the Toyota C-HR gets a multi-link rear suspension, which is very rare for this segment.

Have you driven an HR-V? (I'd assume yes, since you said it rides OK). I found it very well-built (typical Honda Swiss-Watch assembly) but lacking in both seating and riding comfort and somewhat underpowered. Like I said above, vehicles in this class strike me as little else but a cheap way to get AWD and some space efficiency.

I stand by my statements of mediocrity and Ford's efforts here. Also the Escape personally has many more problems than I listed, but I won't get into that.

No problem. I respect your opinion. I probably wouldn't buy any entry-level Ford product myself, simply because of the reliability issues.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Have you driven an HR-V? (I'd assume yes, since you said it rides OK). I found it very well-built (typical Honda Swiss-Watch assembly) but lacking in both seating and riding comfort and somewhat underpowered. Like I said above, vehicles in this class strike me as little else but a cheap way to get AWD and some space efficiency.

No problem. I respect your opinion. I probably wouldn't buy any entry-level Ford product myself, simply because of the reliability issues.

I haven't driven the HR-V, nor do I want to, but this is from what I learned watching a few reviews. Of course my personal opinion on Honda's ride/handling and that of most reviewers greatly differs. I certainly believe your word, as it matches how I feel about Honda ride/handling, and also because you appreciate a comfortable, very complaint ride just as I do.

Indeed. Reliability would be the first dealbreaker for me right there, not even mentioning any other problems lol.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Based on pics, this could end up being the ugliest vehicle in class.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Worse than the Nissan Juke? I know styling is subjective, but..............;)

I don't personally consider Juke in same class of crossover SUV (including HRV, CX-3, Encore, etc.), because it's not. And many actually in automotive industry (which now includes me recently) also agree. But like you said (and styling being subjective of course) Juke is ugly...:heart_eyes:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I don't personally consider Juke in same class of crossover SUV (including HRV, CX-3, Encore, etc.), because it's not.

What class would you consider the Juke in, then? Seems to me just like the HR-V, CX-3, and EcoSport....subcompact (B-class) 5-door FWD/AWD....just with weirder looks.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
What class would you consider the Juke in, then? Seems to me just like the HR-V, CX-3, and EcoSport....subcompact (B-class) 5-door FWD/AWD....just with weirder looks.

Even with AWD availability, more Xb, Soul, Cube-like. Mechanically and dimensinally similar, but lacking SUV styling cues, etc.

Reactions
So from what I gather from other sites, the Ecosport we get will be built in India...cue the buffet lines. That rear door is reminiscent of the older gen RAV4s...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
So from what I gather from other sites, the Ecosport we get will be built in India...cue the buffet lines. That rear door is reminiscent of the older gen RAV4s...

Can't say for sure, though, with the cover on it, but it looks like it's got a REAL spare tire, instead of one of those B.S. temporary/donuts or compressed-air-bottles.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Does look like a door-mounted real spare tire, something insurance companies definely dislike.

.....and, of course, for good reason. With that general type of design, a rear-end tap at just a few MPH can cause shattered glass, buckled sheet metal, a ruined rear washer/wiper system, and several thousand dollars worth of damage.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
.....and, of course, for good reason. With that general type of design, a rear-end tap at just a few MPH can cause shattered glass, buckled sheet metal, a ruined rear washer/wiper system, and several thousand dollars worth of damage.

Exactly, minor crashes get real expensive. Mounting spare tire as high up as possible somewhat reduces that (for example later versions of Jeep Liberty had that change).

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
IMG_1523.JPG IMG_1524.JPG Saw it at SF auto show. No spare hanging on back for US version fortunately. And it looks pretty bad in person, especially when compared to much better styled HRV and CX3.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nice shots, Steve. I know you don't like the EcoSport's basic looks, but those shots are as good or better than anything I've seen on Google-Images for it. You must have a good camera....and some good lighting conditions there. To me, it also seems to look better in that bright blue than in other colors.....I'll bet that's the color Ford uses, later on, in its promotion-ads. Unfortunately, while the lack of a spare-tire kit on the American version can prevent added rear-end damage in an accident, it (probably) also means either a donut/temporary spare, run-flat tires, or, even worse, one of those bull **** Fix-a-Flat compressed-air cans.

Did you get a chance to sit in it?...or did they have the doors locked? My experience, over the years, at auto shows, is that Ford, like GM, is not one of the better manufacturers for unlocking the doors to all-new products on display and allowing people to sit in them...though a Ford zone-manager once did so once for me at the D.C. Show, on the then-new C-Max, when they found out that I wrote reviews on car-forums. Usually, though, for prototypes and pre-production models, they don't want people inside of them, due to the possibility of loose parts, fit/finish problems, and things that might not work properly.

One other question....slightly off-topic: Did Ford also have either the upcoming Ranger or Bronco there at the show? That Bronco prototype, IMO, is right on the mark for classic, retro-American SUV looks. ;) :thumbsup:

landscape-1456340665-b2.jpg

Last edited: