Everything EV Thread

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
BMW has very versatile BEV roster consisting of four sedans and four CUVs. And to make it even worse for Tesla they don't even have a Model 3 competitor. They do have Model Y competitor in iX2 and iX3 but these are not competitive. Volvo EX30 does much better job at being Model Y.

Overall, I guess most of their BMW BEV sales come from iX3 and iX. I could also bet i5 sedan did boost sales as well.

Lexus should just do copy paste BMW electrification and not pay attention to Mercedes and Audi.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Lexus should just do copy paste BMW electrification and not pay attention to Mercedes and Audi.
ICEV conversions will always lose money so copy pasting BMW is not viable either. Doesn't matter if they sell more EVs but make no money.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Due to emission regulations oems had two paths moving forward; jump into the ev space or transition into hev/phev. Most jumped into the pure ev spaceship category believing regulators would not allow any interim relief, there was enough space available outside of Tesla to put their marque on the ev map, and ev design should otherwordly.

Well now their is interim relief, demand is low, everyone is backpedaling to phev/hevs as a transitory phase, and the idea of what an ev should look like and be is again being rethought in design studios.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
ICEV conversions will always lose money so copy pasting BMW is not viable either. Doesn't matter if they sell more EVs but make no money.

What I meant they don't have to go quirky like Mercedes did with EQ. I would assume Merc bet on Prius like distinctive design to separate their ICE from BEV but it didn't work out. BMW on the other hand offers familiar product as both ICE and BEV which kind of makes sense cause their product is already being recognized as premium, no need for separate extreme design (it worked for Toyota cause it's Toyota).

Audi on the other hand has 16 BEV CUV variations in their portfolio right now, that's right freaking 16. They got three sedan variations and upcoming four more. They oversaturated themselves.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Karma is kind of on a roll design wise. They just debuted Karma Ivara hybrid SUV supposedly coming out in 2027.

IVARA_4.jpg

They also have LFA inspired EV sportscar (supposedly) coming out as well

Fisker-Kaveya-1.jpg

No matter what happens Karma does really neat design exercises. In a sea of bland copycats BEV vehicles this is very Mazda concept like behavior.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions

TOKYO ā€“ Japanā€™s car industry, which has stalled in the development of electric vehicles (EVs) amid what it often describes as a ā€œonce-in-a-century industry transformationā€, has now consolidated into two broad camps as it aims to make up ground lost to China.

In one camp is the worldā€™s largest carmaker, Toyota, whose group includes companies such as Daihatsu, Suzuki, Subaru and Mazda.
In the other camp are long-time competitors Nissan and Honda, which set aside their rivalry and joined hands in March, with Mitsubishi entering their alliance in August. The three companies had combined sales of 8.3 million units in the year ended March.

The partnership aims to leverage the economies of scale that will come with jointly developing technology and cross-optimising parts across their brands, as well as sharing supply chains and resources. But they will still produce their own vehicle models.

I found the following ironic, considering what the Western automotive press is saying about declining popularity of BEVs and resurgence of HEVs and PHEVs.
There has long been friendly domestic competition, and the main cause of alarm for Japanese carmakers has been external. They had misread the demand and rapid growth of such EV brands as the United Statesā€™ Tesla and Chinaā€™s BYD.

Japanese carmakers have, in comparison, been late to the game, focusing instead on hybrid vehicles and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles. But hybrids, while often touted as cleaner, are nonetheless polluting as they still rely on petrol.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Japanese car industry doesn't only have a BEV problem. They are losing ICEV and HEV market share in China as well. BYD also makes very good HEVs and PHEVs.

The bigger problem is that Japanese brands have been fleecing customers using their brand power in the developed world and that strategy failed in China. What many don't know is Chinese brands are also exporting very good value ICEVs into the developing world, where Toyota/Honda's offerings are decades behind. So it's not a China-only problem either. Even in Australia we are seeing the Hilux rapidly losing market share to Ford Ranger and GWM Cannon.

It should be a wake-up call that they can't keep decontenting their products and hiking prices indefinitely, especially when they have one quality scandal after another.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
The Japanese car industry doesn't only have a BEV problem. They are losing ICEV and HEV market share in China as well. BYD also makes very good HEVs and PHEVs.

The bigger problem is that Japanese brands have been fleecing customers using their brand power in the developed world and that strategy failed in China. What many don't know is Chinese brands are also exporting very good value ICEVs into the developing world, where Toyota/Honda's offerings are decades behind. So it's not a China-only problem either. Even in Australia we are seeing the Hilux rapidly losing market share to Ford Ranger and GWM Cannon.

It should be a wake-up call that they can't keep decontenting their products and hiking prices indefinitely, especially when they have one quality scandal after another.
They may have that problem, but will their customers vote with their wallet to make them aware of said problem?
On a recent trip i had the pleasure of speaking with an longtime LC owner, who has both a new lc300 and Lx600 both effected by the recalls. His plan is to sell them before the recall is done to avoid said recall (gc 300 owners believe recalls tank resale), and stay clear of new LCs until the facelift. I asked why he would sell his vehicles, and wait till the facelift? His answer was that while toyota my have dropped the ball on the powertrain, going towards a G class or a defender was scary due to the fear of unreliability and Toyota, even with the recall was still the safer option. In addition, they dont trust other automakers to recall engines like toyota.

Fear uncertainty and doubt with the other automakers have made toyota lifelong customers.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They may have that problem, but will their customers vote with their wallet to make them aware of said problem?
On a recent trip i had the pleasure of speaking with an longtime LC owner, who has both a new lc300 and Lx600 both effected by the recalls. His plan is to sell them before the recall is done to avoid said recall (gc 300 owners believe recalls tank resale), and stay clear of new LCs until the facelift. I asked why he would sell his vehicles, and wait till the facelift? His answer was that while toyota my have dropped the ball on the powertrain, going towards a G class or a defender was scary due to the fear of unreliability and Toyota, even with the recall was still the safer option. In addition, they dont trust other automakers to recall engines like toyota.

Fear uncertainty and doubt with the other automakers have made toyota lifelong customers.
The Hilux has untouchable reputation for reliability in Australia. Then they lost the sales crown to Ford Ranger last year.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
who in product planning signed off on chevy cuv that starts at just $48k......smh

That being said if you needed a solid cheap newer used vehicle and can primarily making charge work.....soo many evs start at 20k, less then 10k miles, year old...