LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
I just wanted to share a nice experience I had with Toyota and Lexus back in November 2017.

I was commissioned to build a LEGO model of the LFA in scale 1:20. The client was Mr. Tomoki Yoshihara from Toyota Motor Europe and the model was to be handed over as a gift to his boss, Akio Toyoda, at a conference held for European sellers at the Bella Sky hotel in Copenhagen. The model was chosen since the LFA is Mr. Toyoda's favorite car, and LEGO is an iconic brand in Denmark.

I have made a video going through the whole process and how the lead time really was so short that the project was doomed to fail. The video is really aimed at people who want to get an insight into how it is to run commissions, so if that is not for you, then please skip it and continue below.

And yeah. That's me in the video. I'm getting old, fat and balding -_-

This is how the model ended being displayed:

pics4.jpg

Toyota Motor Europe was responsible for creating the display and model of the hotel - I only did the LEGO model.

pics5.jpg

The model went through a series of iterations before arriving at the version seen above:

collage_first_4_prototypes.jpg

With the project spanning over a weekend and the evenings of a week, I am incredibly satisfied with the results - it usually takes me 3 months to construct a model like this! Luckily I got to experience the strive for perfection first hand, as I received constructive feedback on the project almost daily. If I didn't get this, I can honestly say that the result would have been quite different.

2rear.jpg

After completion of the project, I started building a white version in order to see how much I could perfect the model in this size without having any time constraint. The difference might not be much at first glance, but I will make a long and nerdy video going into detail of this model... once I get some time.

2_91_rear.jpg

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I have been arguing back and forth with myself for a very long time on wether I should post it here.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
You are absolutely correct RAL. The cars in Legoland (Except the Airport from your second picture) are in scale 1:20, so the LFA is in scale and fits right in.

I started building in this scale when the very same park had a competition in 2014. They asked for people to design cars of the brand "Seat" (One of the many brands owned by Volkswagen). I do not know if it is still there, but a car I designed might still be found in the harbor display.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
I have checked out the LEGO Ideas, and the car is unfortunately not eligible due to it being a licensed vehicle - I suppose they have seen enough of those!

In the meantime I have made a video going into the crazyness of the white version for anyone interested in how much you can stretch those plastic toy pieces:

I really want to build my LC500, but I am not sure that I can capture it well enough in this scale. Building with Lego always results in a monument of compromise.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-03-02-lexus-lfa-lego.jpg

Lasse Deleuran is an accomplished LEGO craftsman specializing in car models. He recently shared the following story on the Lexus Enthusiast forums.
I was commissioned to build a LEGO model of the Lexus LFA for a Toyota conference in Copenhagen. The LFA was chosen because it is Aiko Toyoda’s favorite car, and the model was to be given to him as a gift. This is how the model ended being displayed:
20-03-02-lexus-lfa-lego-display-1.jpg

20-03-02-lexus-lfa-lego-display-2.jpg

Toyota Motor Europe was responsible for creating the display and model of the hotel – I only did the LEGO model.
The LEGO LFA went through a series of iterations before arriving at the version seen above...

Continue reading...