6th Generation Toyota 4Runner Megathread

Reactions
I know... it's not the most apt way to start a megathread for the 4Runner, but I got recommended this. Can someone tell me if it's clickbait or not?

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
IMO, they've already showed their cards.

Tundra comes out new as a '22 model... Sequoia comes out new as a '23 model based almost exactly on the Tundra (slight styling changes in the plastics, fewer body styles, basically same trims, fewer engine options, but the volume is expected to be a lot lower).

Tacoma comes out new as a '24 model... 4Runner comes out new as a '25 model based almost exactly on Tacoma (slight styling changes in the plastics, fewer body styles, basically same trims, fewer engine options)

It doesn't make sense to divorce the Tacoma and 4Runner at this stage. There's a lot of overlap in the customer base. The 4Runner was traditionally nicer than Tacoma, but now Land Cruiser exists in the same size, it can fill that premium space. I think even the 1958 trim of the LC will have a premium feel despite the cloth seats and being lower feature content for what one would expect for $55k. Old school build quality luxury versus modern luxury of flashy screens and widgets.

Either way, I'm excited. I've had 3 5th gen 4Runners ('10, '16, '23) and have generally been very happy with them. The 4L and 5AT is really starting to show its age, though. I think the 8 speed and the 4 cyl turbo (especially with hybrid) has the potential to be a very smooth operator. If that 27mpg blurb on toyota.com about the Land Cruiser is applicable for the 4Runner, I may upgrade much sooner than I normally do.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Yeah, that video that kirk posted is total clickbait. I don’t sub to him just because there seems to be a lot of whishful thinking/clickbait. TRD Jon I like a lot better, and Jon just seems like a nice guy that I could chill with. Kirk is probably a nice guy too, but anyone who feels the need to be deceptive to gain a few YouTube clicks makes me go eh.

As far as the 4Runner goes, I’d be curious to see if the wheelbase grows to match the Land Cruiser. I assume the 4Runner wheelbase will grow to 112.2” as well, but there’s also a part of me that wonders if they will keep the current 109.8”. The slightly shorter wheelbase would help offer some differentiation from the LC, but then again, we’re only talking ~2.5”.

Like the Tacoma, I think we will see the 2.4T non hybrid on lower trim levels (SR5, TRD Offroad/Sport). I would love to see a manual as well, but that is probably wishful thinking on my part. I would gladly forego a hybrid to have a manual.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
Yeah, that video that kirk posted is total clickbait. I don’t sub to him just because there seems to be a lot of whishful thinking/clickbait. TRD Jon I like a lot better, and Jon just seems like a nice guy that I could chill with. Kirk is probably a nice guy too, but anyone who feels the need to be deceptive to gain a few YouTube clicks makes me go eh.

As far as the 4Runner goes, I’d be curious to see if the wheelbase grows to match the Land Cruiser. I assume the 4Runner wheelbase will grow to 112.2” as well, but there’s also a part of me that wonders if they will keep the current 109.8”. The slightly shorter wheelbase would help offer some differentiation from the LC, but then again, we’re only talking ~2.5”.

Like the Tacoma, I think we will see the 2.4T non hybrid on lower trim levels (SR5, TRD Offroad/Sport). I would love to see a manual as well, but that is probably wishful thinking on my part. I would gladly forego a hybrid to have a manual.
Stopped subbing to Kirk awhile ago when I realized the same.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Given how much Toyota is changing its image to "the cool brand" these days it's not unlikely they introduce a MT 4Runner. Also helps sharing costs with the MT Tacoma.

Also I think the main differentiation would be a shorter overall length for better approach and departure angles. Toyota now has very good market coverage with 3-row products so the 4Runner 3-row option is less necessary.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Given how much Toyota is changing its image to "the cool brand" these days it's not unlikely they introduce a MT 4Runner. Also helps sharing costs with the MT Tacoma.

Also I think the main differentiation would be a shorter overall length for better approach and departure angles. Toyota now has very good market coverage with 3-row products so the 4Runner 3-row option is less necessary.
I have a 2000 4Runner with a 5spd, and I love it. 2000 was the last year the 4Runner was offered with a manual, and it would be great if the manual returned. TRD Jon had a video a few weeks ago where he said a manual may be making a comeback. Apparently he had a pretty reputable source for that info. I think it’s likely.

I wonder if the 6th gen wheelbase will grow? The wheelbase has increased on the Prado and GX, and historically, Prado, GX, and 4Runner have shared a wheelbase. I think the 4Runner is going to have a shorter wheelbase, but we’ll see.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
giphy.gif

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Heritage blue! The badge placement is just like Sequoia. Glad there isn't a hitch cover like LC/GX. Hard to say if there is space for roll down rear glass. The 5th gen is pretty contoured on the tailgate and manages.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Taillights don’t poke out like the 5th gen. I’d say we’re off to a good start!

282 might be the hp of the non-hybrid model?

Last edited: