5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
In 2017 the Rav4 outsold the Camry. It appears the Rav4 will do it again in 2018 and maybe beyond...

As of January 2018:
Camry = 24,638
Rav4 = 26,655

As of 2017
Camry = 387,081
Rav4 = 407,594

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
In 2017 the Rav4 outsold the Camry. It appears the Rav4 will do it again in 2018 and maybe beyond...

As of January 2018:
Camry = 24,638
Rav4 = 26,655

Rav4 will outsell the Camry until next fuel price hike over >$5 and/or large economy crash.

It is very old vehicle now, especially interior wise... can you imagine how well will it sell with new TNGA platform and engines, and if it looks like in these pics? Sky is the limit. Their problem might be production but I guess they dont have a problem with importing them from Japan, like they are doing now.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
02221700_5a8e789f4e886.jpg

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
We're in the second month of 2018 and Camry has made an uptick compared to the Rav4 for February. Overall Rav4 is still in the lead but not by much:

As of 2018 (Jan - Feb)
Camry = 55,503
Rav4 = 56,522

Once we get an updated Rav4 the sky is the limit...

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
We're in the second month of 2018 and Camry has made an uptick compared to the Rav4 for February. Overall Rav4 is still in the lead but not by much:

As of 2018 (Jan - Feb)
Camry = 55,503
Rav4 = 56,522

Once we get an updated Rav4 the sky is the limit...

Main problem with Rav4 is production capacity... but yeah, they will expand it for new model.

Otherwise, even now with new Camry thats doing great, it is Rav4 sales that are growing faster - 12.2% for Camry, 13.3% for Rav4 for Feb 2018.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow that was fast! I did not expect an official debut to be coming so soon. That means the next-gen Highlander debut is not that far off. I would say in about a year or so.

I played around with Toyota's teaser image. Aside from profile, I got the headlights and taillights to reveal themselves, and they match the concept.

Also that Carscoops render is off on a number of details, starting with the rims. You just have to compare the render to the spyshots of the prototypes. I think the Mag-X render is going to be more accurate.

I am calling it right now guys. My guts are telling me this is for the new Corolla. That 2.0L that they announced and that new 6-speed manual serves as a perfect replacement. That Direct-Shift CVT? That is so Corolla...... Don't you all remember when people made complaints on how terrible the manual was? And the fact that 1.8L was the age of a dinosaur? How about the CVT, to which many people described as sluggish? There you go.

And @CIF, you mention about the V6 and V8 engines. Are you sure they're coming out or is that a speculation that you're making?

It's logical speculation at this point. For Toyota's larger unibody vehicles, a turbo 4 cylinder absolutely won't be enough. What about models like the Tacoma? That's also not pointing out the obvious, which are Toyota's biggest and heaviest models like the Tundra, Sequoia and Land Cruiser, that will all need at the very least powerful V6s as well as V8s.

That's not even mentioning models like the Camry and Avalon. They will still need a V6, because Toyota in their research found Camry V6 buyers are very loyal to their engines. That is why the new Camry still has a V6.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Does this also mean the NX will get an update in the near future? Lexus started selling the NX at the end of 2014 as a 2015 model. The NX is on fire...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Does this also mean the NX will get an update in the near future? Lexus started selling the NX at the end of 2014 as a 2015 model. The NX is on fire...
With its 2018 model year refresh, NX is on track to follow the 6-year cycle of Lexus' other high-volume models (ES and RX). NX also has an affinity for Chinese debuts (both original and refreshed NX debuted there).

Most likely scenario: 2nd-gen NX debuts at the April 2020 Beijing Motor Show, going on sale during the 4th quarter of 2020 as a 2021 model year vehicle.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Wow that was fast! I did not expect an official debut to be coming so soon. That means the next-gen Highlander debut is not that far off. I would say in about a year or so.

yep, they announced expansion and retooling of the factory for 2019 Highlander:
http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota-indiana-tmmi-jobs-jan24.htm

Princeton, Ind. (Jan. 24, 2017) -- Toyota Indiana knows how to ring in the New Year! The company will add 400 jobs at the plant in Princeton, investing $600 million to meet the strong and growing demand for the Highlander midsize SUV and modernize the entire plant. The investment will be used for retooling, new equipment and advanced technologies to make the plant more competitive. The project is scheduled to begin in fall 2019 and will add 40,000 Highlanders annually.

http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota-indiana-tmmi-jobs-jan24.htm

There was also investment in engine factory for new 2019 Highlander Hybrid, i believe it was 2.5l hybrid engine, to start production in 2020.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
With Honda making a CR-V 7-seater, is Toyota going to offer a 3-row RAV4?

I guess that depends on how much it grows. The 3rd gen Rav4 did have a 3 row option, but Toyota later dropped it in the 4th gen because of low sales. I have a feeling it's probably a very low percentage of buyers who want that option in such a small vehicle. If you add a third row, you lose storage space for other things like strollers, groceries, etc.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I guess that depends on how much it grows. The 3rd gen Rav4 did have a 3 row option, but Toyota later dropped it in the 4th gen because of low sales. I have a feeling it's probably a very low percentage of buyers who want that option in such a small vehicle. If you add a third row, you lose storage space for other things like strollers, groceries, etc.

it is interesting for sure...you do lose space, but maybe they will have it in order to appease European customers since Corolla Verso is likely not coming back?

Plus when competitors has 3 rows and you dont, it might be a marketing problem, no matter how useful it is.