5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

Motor

Expert
Reactions

First impressions are good. It steers nicely, handles tidily, rides well enough, always get over 40 miles from the battery and is very quiet. The sort of quiet that makes a good music system sound great and encourages you to drive more slowly so as to enjoy the peace and tranquillity for longer. Not what I’d do in an LFA, but so far, I rather like it.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
UK car reviews are so painful to watch with their mix of miles, kg, metric horsepower, MPG-UK, g/km. Whether you are from a metric country or imperial country you get equally confused.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
As a car enthusiast, makes sense since the barrier to entry is low. That being said, as a consumer, the majority of folks at a car dealership who end up purchasing into Lexus probably will end up saying or focusing on things like this on the daily.

Too many conversations end up into silly things like how strong the door is (remember that vw dealer commercial), the door thud score, how many ambient colors, how many maintenance items can one ignore during a lease term, etc.

Side note, these silly conversations or useless metrics are the loop holes that automakers will use to market their vehicles....Lexus F sport appearance vs F sport handling packages or Lexus Blackline editions.

sl0519

Admirer
Reactions

0-60 in 5.4 to 5.6s is pretty commendable, although I'll say the gearbox is slow as hell...why is there a big pause every time the car shifts?
Aside from that they also need to work on that fake engine noise coz it sounded very unnatural...night and day difference against their NA tuning.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As much as I love the X5, a $10k+ delta between that and a loaded RX 500h FSP would have me at least driving the 500h to see how I felt about it.

Could never say that about an RX and X5 previously, so that's a major accomplishment.

Reactions
As much as I love the X5, a $10k+ delta between that and a loaded RX 500h FSP would have me at least driving the 500h to see how I felt about it.

Could never say that about an RX and X5 previously, so that's a major accomplishment.

True, but drive both cars for 10 minutes? X5 wins.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
RX500h is at least three times better car than previous RX generation. It's probably the biggest generational leap Lexus has ever done when it comes to any of their SUVs. It might look like fierce X5 competition to regular Joe (my eyes much like your eyes see body proportions and size and can tell right away its not in X5/GLE league) but when it comes to actual experience as a whole package it's still a class below. That explains $10,000 difference.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
The RX doesn’t need to spend a night in the shop after 10 minutes of driving lol.

All jokes aside I see the RX daily in Los Angeles and I think Lexus did a wicked good job with the design and features. Buyers are clearly voting with their dollars. You cannot step out of the house, drive and not see one.

sl0519

Admirer
Reactions

You're essentially paying higher price for a better car tbh, so I don't see its value proposition like where it used to be.

As much as I love the Lexus, they really need some good turbo engines. The one on the GR Yaris is a great place to start with, double the cylinder counts and go on.