5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
We did have that BEV sedan leak that seemed quite large, no?

This one?

Screen-Shot-2021-12-16-at-12.19.41-PM.png

This car was weird to me because it was only shown in this one random Toyota EV lineup photo that was never widely used in press, and we never saw the car again. Lexus didn't include it in their own future EV lineup photo.

I don't know what to expect, but no rumors rolling into the 7th year of the model cycle is not good. I think it has to be BEV, or it's gone. Plus now with TZ trademarks, I don't know that some sort of BEV LS crossover is realistic.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
This one?

This car was weird to me because it was only shown in this one random Toyota EV lineup photo that was never widely used in press, and we never saw the car again. Lexus didn't include it in their own future EV lineup photo.

I don't know what to expect, but no rumors rolling into the 7th year of the model cycle is not good. I think it has to be BEV, or it's gone. Plus now with TZ trademarks, I don't know that some sort of BEV LS crossover is realistic.
This one?

I’ve seen this also. It looks like the LF-FC concept car that was shown a few years back. It looks like that and the LS+ concept. I’m with @Gecko though.. no trademarks no spy shots or sightings no nothing and the fact they are going to let this current model ride out for the next 2 years or longer spells trouble. It’s done.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This one?

1693848859353.png

I still think this the proportions and wheels of this make me think large, new format sedan optimized for interior space (especially in the back) and the use of miniaturized powertrain components.

Given the 5LS is currently basically a tech platform for Lexus, i can't see 6LS being anything but a skunkworks effort to set a high watermark for the next, electric age of Lexus the same way the first one did in its day.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
View attachment 7885

I still think this the proportions and wheels of this make me think large, new format sedan optimized for interior space (especially in the back) and the use of miniaturized powertrain components.

Given the 5LS is currently basically a tech platform for Lexus, i can't see 6LS being anything but a skunkworks effort to set a high watermark for the next, electric age of Lexus the same way the first one did in its day.
Ok let’s just say this is the next LS BEV… why have we not seen in yet and why isn’t it not in the line up with all the other EVs in that one big circular picture. The ES is in there.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
View attachment 7885

In their production plans this large sedan will be produced at 120k/year. So this is more of an ES replacement than LS replacement.

Given that we haven't seen any trademarks for ES350h, ES450h+ and ES500h, I think next-gen ES will be delayed to 2026 as a BEV.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Ok let’s just say this is the next LS BEV… why have we not seen in yet and why isn’t it not in the line up with all the other EVs in that one big circular picture. The ES is in there.
From wiki:
A skunkworks project is a project developed by a relatively small and loosely structured group of people who research and develop a project, often with a very large degree of autonomy, primarily for the sake of radical innovation. The term originated with Lockheed's World War II Skunk Works project.

I bet you the LS is their crossover with Woven.

Their ability to keep stuff quiet since their new facilities opened has improved. I wouldn't be surprised if they are being quiet around the next sedan flagship.

Also they're not stopping century sedan development any time soon, and I can't imagine toyota won't want to share the benefits of that r&d spending.
1693856051806.png
1693856058411.png
1693856064104.png1693856070935.png

Looks like SUVs go to RZ / TZ, small crossovers utilize the compact platform.
Sedan loses the middle goes compact / large

Observations:
[Toyota] only revealed the dimensions of the concept (GT3) car, spanning 4,590 mm in length, 2,040 mm in width, and 1,140 mm in height. Also, the concept car gets a 2,725 mm wheelbase which gives the design its high-performance vehicle appearance.

Call me crazy:
GT3 Concept dim: 4,590mm L x 2,040mm W x 1,140mm H with a 2,725mm wheelbase.
IS500 dimensions: 4,760mm L x 1,840mm W x 1,440mm H with a 2,800mm wheelbase.

They highlighted 4 BEV vehicles first:
Large BEV SUV (Large High), Sedan BEV (Large Low), Sports BEV (Compact Low), Crossover BEV SUV (Mid High)

GT3 Related / Derived Compact Platform:
IS - IZ
1693857303623.png
1693857428071.png
RC/LC (SC?) -> CZ (Convertible/Coupe Zero?)
1693857504590.png

NX -> NZ (Small crossover class becomes distinct from proper SUVs ala RZ, TZ)
1693857363294.png

LFR / LFA
1693857323173.png

SUV Platform:
1693857281843.png
RX -> RZ (Left)
TX -> TZ (Right)

Large Sedan Platform (Only teased above):
ES -> EZ
LS -> LZ

Last edited:

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@CRSKTN . Very compelling stuff sir but I’m with @Gecko . The current model came out in 2017. It’s almost 7 years old with no major revision being announced. That’s the scary part. At Least trademark something.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
They put these sliding doors on the rear of the Century SUV.

I don't think you develop that tech and then only use it once.
Front sliding doors don't seem like a good idea cause if you're standing on a slope where the car is slightly of angle and the front wheels are turned good luck opening that door, they could remedy that by making the car rwd and pushing the front axle way further though

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I think by the time a company like Toyota is seeing stuff like that presented, they've probably already invested a small fortune into addressing those issues.