Levi

Expert
Reactions
Interior might be nice, but is really simple in design and looks no different than previous one, quite outdated. Porsche manages to make better interiors than this, and Porsche already sets the bar quite low.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
Sort of funny to me that he starts by calling it bold and then immediately following calls it evolutionary and traditional, referring to only the tail light design as "bold." 🤣

Anyway, I have generally been a fan of Range Rover design over the years, but this new one is fairly disappointing IMO. The exterior barely looks different even to the discerning eye, and the rear end looks like an unfinished concept or something to me. It’s quite plain. Interior is nice, as is the V8 option, but I think LX is overall more of a noticeable change and more appealing. No doubt both will have their buyers.

LX with a V8 would have been a great challenger to the Range Rover, Bentayga and others. Unfortunately for Lexus, power and power delivery are a big part of the ultra luxury experience and while a TTV6 will be fine for most, there is going to be a core group in this market who will not even consider it because of that.

Nice that they debuted it with the hybrid - Lexus should have done the same.
It feels like Lexus miscalculated and pulled out of the V8 game too soon. More V8s are being either introduced, carried over, or updated by luxury automakers.
I would think in this arena of vehicle, you cater to what people want or are willing to pay for. The competition in the luxury market has an overwhelming availability of larger engines. In this segment alone the Grand Wagoneer, Escalade, Range Rover, X7, GLS, and G-Class offer the V8.

Engine gripes aside, I think the new LX looks great inside and out. Personally I'm more interested in the hybrid powertrain but can't help lamenting the loss of the V8 option here.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
^Very much agree. LX/LS/LC would have all benefitted greatly from a new V8, especially when the V8 is pretty much now the replacement for the V10 and V12.

well 750h is coming though.

I assume it is same powertrain as Tundra, but they lost me at naming scheme.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
I wanted to upgrade my '13 LX early next year. Unfortunately with TTV6 option only I will wait and see what the LX750h will bring to the table. Hopefully we wont have to wait to long for unveiling.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Some nice pics from Lexus.com I haven't seen otherwise:

Lexus-future-LX-design-all-new-design-desktop-1440x800.jpg

Lexus-future-LX-design-third-row-desktop-1400x800.jpg

Lexus-future-LX-performance-engineered-for-adventure-desktop-1440x800.jpg

Lexus-future-LX-performance-fsport-handling-desktop-1440x800.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 4.35.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 4.36.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-27 at 4.35.36 PM.png

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Anyone know if the product development cycle and final design freeze on the LX predated the formation of the new Lexus infotainment system and Lexus Safety System 3.0? I'm looking at the center split system and certain submenus that are in the marketing videos and it seems as the split screen was designed for possibly a revised version of the current LS infotainment setup and then later adapted for the new UI. Same goes for the LSS 2.5 rather then 3.0.

Its interesting that Lexus reserved the massive 14 inch single screen setup and more advanced LSS 3.0 for the NX. This indicates the LX refresh will ditch the duplex screen for a future single and LSS 3.0 update

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Anyone know if the product development cycle and final design freeze on the LX predated the formation of the new Lexus infotainment system and Lexus Safety System 3.0? I'm looking at the center split system and certain submenus that are in the marketing videos and it seems as the split screen was designed for possibly a revised version of the current LS infotainment setup and then later adapted for the new UI. Same goes for the LSS 2.5 rather then 3.0.

Its interesting that Lexus reserved the massive 14 inch single screen setup and more advanced LSS 3.0 for the NX. This indicates the LX refresh will ditch the duplex screen for a future single and LSS 3.0 update

I dont think it indicates single screen in the future. 12" and 7" are a lot larger than 14" screen.
You would not get same screen functionality if you did that.

Also if you just add 14" screen instead of current 12", it would be too big. Big difference is that aspect ratio between 12" and 14" being quite different, so 14" from NX would actually be too big and it would prevent clear line of sight to the road.

They would have to completely redesign centre stack but problem is that you would lose a lot of screen space from 7" screen.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I dont think it indicates single screen in the future. 12" and 7" are a lot larger than 14" screen.
You would not get same screen functionality if you did that.

Also if you just add 14" screen instead of current 12", it would be too big. Big difference is that aspect ratio between 12" and 14" being quite different, so 14" from NX would actually be too big and it would prevent clear line of sight to the road.

They would have to completely redesign centre stack but problem is that you would lose a lot of screen space from 7" screen.

The 7 inch primarily controls the HVAC and Multi-terrain response. Those functions partially can be easily integrated into a a single screen. HVAC can be rerouted as well. But i do get the 12"+7"=19" screen is probably a good talking point in marketing vs a large 14" screen.

A vertical screen could be easily accommodated due the scalability (at least in the dev presentation on the new lexus ui system) of the new infotainment stack.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Are there any details of locking differentials? This would make or break the truck for me.
Technically available, "off-road edition" in Japan, same as Landcruiser GR Sport, three mechanical locking differentials. But I doubt it will be available any time soon in North American market.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Despite its 'modest' on-paper size it looks huge in person! Also the interior doesn't look outdated at all to me. Maybe I'm just biased with my favor of two-screen infotainment system.

I think if you open the hood the V6 will look tiny compared to the engine bay.