Levi

Expert
Reactions
It is fair to not like what the Landcruiser/LX propose as a product. But those criticizing it (mostly Westerners -- Western Europeans and North Americans) just cannot grasp the purpose of this product, and how important/"useful" it is in Eastern Europe, Africa, Middle East and Australia, nor do they see the "status" symbol value it has. In those places Landcruiser/LX is the 911 of SUVs.

For those North Americans buyers, that LX is not enough, the will be the Sequoia, and I think it will be as good if not better than the LX for those buyers -- minus the Lexus badge, but do they really care? The Landcruiser was Toyota's flagship, but most buyers just went further and got the LX, Landcruiser sold little, so no more new one. Now the new Sequoia can take the role of flagship model at Toyota, with maybe even more luxury than Tundra in some trims, without hurting Landcruiser sales which are no more and anyway already were hurt, but also without hurting LX sales. Sequoia can compete against Escalade, Navigator, Wagoneer, etc... X7 and GLS buyers do not crossshop with those, they mostly upgrade from X5 and GLE. Range Rover is a totally different customer too compared to the American large SUVs. Lexus TX again is a different product, that caters to Lexus customer needs, large luxurious CUV.

TMC does risk living in a vacuum, that is proposing specific mass products without getting into competitive segments (i.e performance). On the other hand they study very well their buyers, and they adapt, lately impacted by new platform development, which made them have a full range of dated products, but they are advancing fast, now only bottlenecked by industry supplier shortage, which is the bigger issue.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
The TX has the potential to answer a few questions. I'm interested to see what the Grand Highlander/TX's interior space will look like. Also curious to see whom they claim it competes against. Most assumed rivals are around the 203-205 inch length mark. Current TNGA Highlander at 195 inches. Escalade an outlier at 212.

I know it's TNGA-K, but if it's going up against the X7, GLS, and Escalade, what is going to give it rivaling features and ride quality(FWD vs RWD, e-AWD vs mechanical)? The powertrain trademarks of 350 and 500h aren't encouraging for something that size hauling 8 people.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
It is fair to not like what the Landcruiser/LX propose as a product. But those criticizing it (mostly Westerners -- Western Europeans and North Americans) just cannot grasp the purpose of this product, and how important/"useful" it is in Eastern Europe, Africa, Middle East and Australia, nor do they see the "status" symbol value it has. In those places Landcruiser/LX is the 911 of SUVs.

For those North Americans buyers, that LX is not enough, the will be the Sequoia, and I think it will be as good if not better than the LX for those buyers -- minus the Lexus badge, but do they really care? The Landcruiser was Toyota's flagship, but most buyers just went further and got the LX, Landcruiser sold little, so no more new one. Now the new Sequoia can take the role of flagship model at Toyota, with maybe even more luxury than Tundra in some trims, without hurting Landcruiser sales which are no more and anyway already were hurt, but also without hurting LX sales. Sequoia can compete against Escalade, Navigator, Wagoneer, etc... X7 and GLS buyers do not crossshop with those, they mostly upgrade from X5 and GLE. Range Rover is a totally different customer too compared to the American large SUVs. Lexus TX again is a different product, that caters to Lexus customer needs, large luxurious CUV.

TMC does risk living in a vacuum, that is proposing specific mass products without getting into competitive segments (i.e performance). On the other hand they study very well their buyers, and they adapt, lately impacted by new platform development, which made them have a full range of dated products, but they are advancing fast, now only bottlenecked by industry supplier shortage, which is the bigger issue.
Would love to see the Sequoia push further upmarket, with the Platinum trim cresting 80k. I think the current TRD Pro model hits 68k.
EDIT: Just priced a Platinum up to 71k!

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
How would you want an even larger LX and then go to a Tundra which only seats 5 people max?
The legroom in the rear of the Tundra is incredible and it's pretty wide across the back.

That's my point. It'd be a compromise. Couple that with the fact that Toyota/Lexus would actually be DOWN selling us as we'd rather pay $90k+ for a luxurious and reliable (that, that is where my loyalty to Toyota/Lexus remains) vehicle that suits all of our needs but instead may compromise for a $60k vehicle.....

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
My apologies, when I'm referencing a 6+ person hauler, I'm more depicting a vehicle with very generous space (especially legroom) for at least 5 passengers. My prior vehicle, my beloved GX460, was technically a "7 person" vehicle but again we traded it in because it could not comfortably sit 5 people (or even have rear facing car seat behind my seat) given lack of second row leg room.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think the 'offroad exclusive' for Japan is quite perplexing. Yes 99.9% of LX owners won't ever take them to unpaved road, but that can also be said for the G-wagen. The whole point of a halo product is demonstrating maximum capability regardless of whether customers need it. By Lexus logic they should build the LFA with a top speed of 120km/h because that's the legal speed limit in most countries.

Japan generally has good infrastructure and their mountain terrain isn't suited for full-size trucks but more for tiny offroaders like the Jimny and at most a LCP. And the offroad trim itself is quite stupid with tiny tires, less ground clearance and that body kit. I think people had a lot of expectations after they saw the J201 concept but at least for now Lexus seems to have no interest in creating a real one. Or maybe the top offroad trim will be a hybrid exclusive like Tundra TRD Pro and the hybrid J300 isn't ready yet?

I think some of us have this feeling that we still haven't seen a real halo product from Lexus. There is no LC-F, there is no LS'600h limousine', there is no LX offroad special and there is no flagship EV/FCV. This is in contrast to MB which has a halo product in each of these categories and many other luxury brands have at least one halo product (even Acura!).

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I think some of us have this feeling that we still haven't seen a real halo product from Lexus. There is no LC-F, there is no LS'600h limousine', there is no LX offroad special and there is no flagship EV/FCV. This is in contrast to MB which has a halo product in each of these categories and many other luxury brands have at least one halo product (even Acura!).
Patience ;)

Will1991

Reactions
Honestly, this new Lexus design language is incredible and the more I look at the new NX/LX, the more I like it.

I don’t believe anyone will mistake this for the LC300.

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
When the Tundra was unveiled, i had such high hopes for the LX, the interior is clean and well thought, the 14 inch screen is an amazing display, while the LX still has the old 12 inch display which feels small and cluttered with those bezels.
The Instrument cluster is straight up a failure, the new NX has a better one, they used the old screen that the current LS uses, its so slow and the slow frame rate is just bad, why do the tundra get a 12 inch instrument cluster ?
In my opinion, the Tundra has a much better front row than the LX (not comparing the materials just the design)

But the second row and especially the VIP package was impressive and looks unique, not like any other vehicles.
Wish they did a better job with it, but the tech is just old, and as someone said above, it does look like its 4 years late...

Tyronne M

Fan
Reactions
LX will not be the largest Lexus CUV/SUV for very long, so those of you wanting something bigger will have your wishes granted. LX could be bigger, of course, but they can't alienate the volume of core buyers in UAE and Russia who actually take it off-road for 350 soccer moms/month in North America who want to make CostCo runs with 5 of their offspring in tow.

It's going to all shake out, but LX is staying true to the LX formula. TX is coming soon...
So the TX is going to be bigger than the LX ? Interesting ... I seem to recall reading somewhere that the TX will be coming in 2022.

Reactions
So the TX is going to be bigger than the LX ? Interesting ... I seem to recall reading somewhere that the TX will be coming in 2022.

I don't think so. And different class of SUV. The TX is going to be a proper 3 row unibody SUV. Which will allow the RX to remain what it is suppose to be, 2 row.

So the TX will have a longer wheel base than the RX to allow for 3 rows but even though it might have a length that approaches the LX, it's a family oriented people mover.

That's my impression.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
In this comparison LX 570 front and back in my opinion looks actually better than LX600.
I think Lexus made a mistake of making the new LX looking to similar to outgoing one.

I think it looks cleaner but it still looks too old school of an SUV for my taste, no LRR elegance in a box shapes. But my taste doesn't matter as much as the taste of Middle Eastern customers, they probably like it like that.

One thing I can tell is they still haven fixed the whitest white paint issue on different materials. There is a hue disparity when applied on metal and plastic. That's been F-Sport White paint issue for a while now.

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
I think it looks cleaner but it still looks too old school of an SUV for my taste, no LRR elegance in a box shapes. But my taste doesn't matter as much as the taste of Middle Eastern customers, they probably like it like that.

One thing I can tell is they still haven fixed the whitest white paint issue on different materials. There is a hue disparity when applied on metal and plastic. That's been F-Sport White paint issue for a while now.
We don't like the design of the new one no, many people are hating the design here (middle east) and preferring the old design.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
We don't like the design of the new one no, many people are hating the design here (middle east) and preferring the old design.

Who is “we” that you’re speaking on behalf of here?

Any iconic vehicle will undergo significant scrutiny in a redesign.

I know plenty of people who like it, and those who want it to look different can modify it to do so.

Just like the custom VIP seating you could get installed aftermarket or the supercharger, this thing is a platform more than just a vehicle.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This gen probably has the biggest difference between lc300 and lx ever.
Even the rear part is completely different.

I personally like it but i am not the buyer. It will probably end up being best selling LX ever.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yes, the rear window is angled rather than straight, gives a certain Range Rover Sport vibe to it.

and the bumpers are in line with read door, not sticking out like always in LC or LX.
Quite a difference.