4th Generation 2024 Toyota Tacoma Thread

GoHuskers

Follower
Reactions
Please add a synopsis of the video when it has a clickbait title like that. Else we're just feeding this shitty algorithm that YouTube and influencers have devised to waste our collective time.
come on man. The guy spent time creating that video so let him reap some benefits.

pacman1

Follower
Reactions
come on man. The guy spent time creating that video so let him reap some benefits.
I get your point but we don’t owe him anything - clickbait is so rampant now to drive up views and 99% of the crap out there is horse$hit. Maybe if people started putting quality content and noticed that their clickbait titles aren’t getting views it’ll promote better content. I watch SavageGeese because I find his stuff informational and I find other tubers just full of annoying ads or repeating the same stuff we already knew.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Make+Maintaining+Your+Cesspool+A+Breeze+With+These+Tips-1920w.jpg
I have found a photo of YouTube.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Look 20 years ago yeah I would have been hung up on a V-6. The hybrid turbo 4 makes much more power, and way more torque and better mpg.

I guess i need to look around for happy owners. All i see posted everywhere is negative stuff. It can’t be that bad lol

GoHuskers

Follower
Reactions
I get your point but we don’t owe him anything - clickbait is so rampant now to drive up views and 99% of the crap out there is horse$hit. Maybe if people started putting quality content and noticed that their clickbait titles aren’t getting views it’ll promote better content. I watch SavageGeese because I find his stuff informational and I find other tubers just full of annoying ads or repeating the same stuff we already knew.
It's all about do no harm principle guys. The creators did NOT force you to view their videos. You have the choice and you CHOSE to watch those videos - stop complaining. It is also our faults - the members here who promote those videos by inserting those links. Who asked or forced us to do that? The answer is - Nobody. Complaining ain't get you anywhere - just live happy.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
There’s a lot I like about the BOF version of the T24. Good power at altitude, gear driven balance shaft, gear driven oil pump, one timing chain, and air-to-air intercooler. I wouldn’t have an issue buying a new Tacoma. I would never buy a TRD Pro though, not at $65k. It’s just not worth it.

I like the Car Care Nut videos. Some people might think he’s nitpicky, but as a shade-tree mechanic myself, I think he has a lot of valid concerns, and I like his unbiased reviews. He certainly thinks the world of the LC500. Yeah, his videos can sometimes be a bit of clickbait, which is annoying, but the content is usually pretty good.

Just my $.02.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Look 20 years ago yeah I would have been hung up on a V-6. The hybrid turbo 4 makes much more power, and way more torque and better mpg.

I guess i need to look around for happy owners. All i see posted everywhere is negative stuff. It can’t be that bad lol

TRD Jon seems super happy with his TRD Offroad Tacoma. He says the build quality is better than his Platinum Tundra that he just sold.

guy80

Fan
Reactions
my main issue with turbos is they tune for MPG, so you deal with turbo lag until 3-4k RPM
if an aftermarket tune kept revs up then OK, but then MPG would drop...at that point more about is the HP delta enough for the trouble

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
my main issue with turbos is they tune for MPG, so you deal with turbo lag until 3-4k RPM
if an aftermarket tune kept revs up then OK, but then MPG would drop...at that point more about is the HP delta enough for the trouble
This has not been my experience at all. They all make boost low in the range so they can make torque low in the range. Look at any modern turbo engine. They all make peak torque from approximately 1700RPM to 3000RPM.

guy80

Fan
Reactions
This has not been my experience at all. They all make boost low in the range so they can make torque low in the range. Look at any modern turbo engine. They all make peak torque from approximately 1700RPM to 3000RPM.
my experience is with cayenne turbo, and the new defender primarily. I'm sure some rental cars had a turbo but don't recall

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Here's how much the P0 48V mild hybrid system improves the Hilux turbodiesel. As a reminder the "V-Active" system uses a 8.4kW/65N.m belt-driven start-generator and a 0.208 kWh 48V Li-ion battery. I'm surprised it didn't keep a back-up gear-driven starter and 12V battery for cold starts, maybe Toyota figured out how to start the system just fine in cold weather. Because of that the 48V system does not add extra weight to the vehicle.

Unladen fuel economy improved by 6%. Acceleration improved by 7%.
Laden (1600kg trailer, 3kN load, simulates ~15% gradient) acceleration improved by 16% but the truck failed to reach 100km/h due to the 6AT's gearing.
It also improved NVH a bit according to the review.
It's actually more reliable than a traditional system because all hybrid components are sealed. Traditional alternators and 12V batteries are exposed and more likely to fail in water/mud.

Overall I'd say this is a relatively successful mild hybrid system with a much smaller price and weight penalty compared to other 48V systems on the market. Such a big improved performance in towing is quite surprising. I think Toyota should replace their petrol start-stop models with the 48V system.

1723738689928.png

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am in a few of the 2024+ Tacoma groups and for the most part, they are filled with very happy owners and a lot of them moved up from the 3rd gen. The 3.5L V6 + 6AT combo is fine but not great at anything whereas the 2.4T + 8AT is a much better rounded powertrain for a midsize truck: more torque, more gears, smoother calibration between engine and transmission, and better MPG. Some of the 4th gen Tacoma owners are seeing 25-26MPG on highway drives -- and that's just the standard engine, not the iForce MAX.

There have been some issues with the new Tacoma, yes, but my .02 is that you should be prepared to be a guinea pig for any all-new first year model. It is what it is, even with Toyota. I'm sure the 2025 models and beyond will be solid, and I'm thankful the 4Runner is coming online a year after the Tacoma so hopefully it benefits from some of the first year model fixes.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Here's how much the P0 48V mild hybrid system improves the Hilux turbodiesel. As a reminder the "V-Active" system uses a 8.4kW/65N.m belt-driven start-generator and a 0.208 kWh 48V Li-ion battery. I'm surprised it didn't keep a back-up gear-driven starter and 12V battery for cold starts, maybe Toyota figured out how to start the system just fine in cold weather. Because of that the 48V system does not add extra weight to the vehicle.

Unladen fuel economy improved by 6%. Acceleration improved by 7%.
Laden (1600kg trailer, 3kN load, simulates ~15% gradient) acceleration improved by 16% but the truck failed to reach 100km/h due to the 6AT's gearing.
It also improved NVH a bit according to the review.
It's actually more reliable than a traditional system because all hybrid components are sealed. Traditional alternators and 12V batteries are exposed and more likely to fail in water/mud.

Overall I'd say this is a relatively successful mild hybrid system with a much smaller price and weight penalty compared to other 48V systems on the market. Such a big improved performance in towing is quite surprising. I think Toyota should replace their petrol start-stop models with the 48V system.

View attachment 9451
I'm really glad that Toyota's 48V mild hybrid system actually works! Unlike most other car manufacturers' mild hybrid systems.

Or some times certain car manufacturers like to detune their engines and then use the mild hybrid motor to compensate for the drop in engine output, but it will usually still end up being slower than when it's just only powered by a non-detuned engine.