4th Generation 2024 Toyota Tacoma Thread (iForce Max Pricing Announced)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Tacoma MT has like 5% take rate and with 300k annual sales that's 15k Tacomas MTs each year. I think it's actually the second most abundant MT car on the NA market, only after the WRX. The R&D will be shared with the diesel Hilux and Prado anyway, so I never believed the Tacoma will get rid of MT.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
The Tacoma MT has like 5% take rate and with 300k annual sales that's 15k Tacomas MTs each year. I think it's actually the second most abundant MT car on the NA market, only after the WRX. The R&D will be shared with the diesel Hilux and Prado anyway, so I never believed the Tacoma will get rid of MT.
You seem to have a lot of technical expertise with hybrids—do you think we will see a manual with the hybrid?

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
You seem to have a lot of technical expertise with hybrids—do you think we will see a manual with the hybrid?

The rise of electrified vehicles has been taken as one more nail in the coffin of the manual transmission. But Toyota could be working to ensure that hybrid vehicles don’t mean the end of selecting your own gears.

The automaker recently filed a patent application on a system that would facilitate the use of a manual transmission in hybrid vehicles. The system would manage the interplay between the internal combustion engine, the electric motor, and their requirements on the transmission.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
May 19 Debut
I'm not so sure about that motor1, that rod looking thing sticking out in front of the rear tire looks much more like the lower control arm/linkage of a coil spring solid axle suspension than the leaf springs of a leaf spring solid axle suspension.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
TAC_MY24_0016_V001

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Hopefully it has large enough tires unlike the comically small tires on the Tundra "TRD Pro". And please Toyota increase the body mount clearance and wheel well size so people don't have to chop their expensive trucks just to get slightly upgraded tires (moving to I4 only should make this easier so no excuses!). The current Tacoma TRD Pro has 30.6" which is way too small and going up to 33" will result in tire rubbing while the Ranger Raptor comes with 33" standard.

I've seen more and more new Tundras on the road and most of them look strange because of the tiny tires.

Last edited:

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Damn new Ranger has 2 V6 options. Makes me kinda sad even though the Hybrid will have plenty of torque and power
Was just about to bring that up as well.. the boosted V6 will definitely feel a lot more "effortless" when challenged. Very smart on Ford to offer this when Chevrolet has switched to fully i4.

Hopefully the Tacoma gets at least the V35a for the highest trims, but looking unlikely hmm?

Will1991

Reactions
I’m starting to bet on a 500h powertrain but with the battery from the 450h+ and a 150kW rear motor in a PHEV variant.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Don't think we're getting a PHEV truck anytime soon. Maybe when SSB comes we'd have that. Ranger Raptor has 430lb-ft of tq and I think the Taco Hybrid should be around there also. But gets blown away in hp, Raptor has 400hp.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I still think a GR Tacoma with Tundra engine/trans/rear axle and long travel front end is a good idea. I think Toyota is taking some things for granted, and Ford/Chevy are coming in hot. It’ll be sad if Toyota has to rely on electrification to be competitive, but I guess I’ll have to reserve final judgement until official release. I’m skeptical so far.