3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
To add in, seems like journos seem to be positioning the Tundra Capstone as a value play by being 6k less then the F150 without mentioning the amount of kit each truck brings to the table....

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Well I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

@Carmaker1 hinted at this last year. Ford really took it upon themselves to take the wind out of Toyotas Hybrid Truck stride. For the benefit of the doubt, Ford is down on power compared to the imax and if you are upgrading from the V8 tundra, 7 MPG improvement with a massive HP bump is a solid upgrade path.

Cant explain why the PR team was testing monikers like "World Beater" etc (unless they got tipped off about the Fuel economy numbers and a great defense is a strong offense bs), but I assume they're gonna run with some kind of eco friendly ad with the Super Bowl coming up.

i have yet to see toyota associate something eco with Tundra, i dont think the audience cares about that at all.
This hybrid system is not built for economy, it is very obvious from the start.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I just found out it has more interior space than both Lexus LX and LS. These American full size trucks are no longer pickup trucks but luxury cars with a cargo bed, which I think is how they are actually used in US?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@ssun30 , agree with you, it's honestly looks way good made interior wise than both FL LS and anyone can see how good looking and HD screen they have in better way than the LX

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Pickup trucks have become daily commuter vehicles in North America, which explains all the crew cab models sold, and also explains why Ford, GM, Rivian and others are introducing new EV pickup trucks right now (all beating the much-hyped Cybertruck to market).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I also think the extra power + smoother driving experience is a great fit for higher end models... +2MPG is just a bonus I guess.

I still can't understand why Toyota calls this engine 3.5L when it displaces 3,444cc, and rounding would clearly make it a 3.4L. Doesn't matter, unless they thought "3.5L" sounded better than "3.4L" for marketing?

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The pricing of the hybrid is not great. A $3400 upgrade over the standard drivetrain isn't going to find many buyers. The TRD Pro starting at $68k is eyepopping.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
2023-ford-f-250-crew-THUMB-1068x659.jpeg

Seems Ford is pulling out all the stops here in an effort to one up Toyota. Godzilla electrified?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Seems like Toyota Tundra owners either have set an impossible bar for Toyota to live up to in terms of reliability or Tundra has a lot of teething issues, with now toyota "techs" throwing in their 2 cents about new Service bulletins everday.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Tundra hybrid has a low power and high torque motor (36kW@1400rpm/250N.m@0-1400rpm). Here is a torque and power curve I made based on the 95RON tune on the LC300/LX600 since I couldn't find raw data for the 91RON tune on the Tundra. The difference is peak torque is delayed by 400rpm on the Tundra and the hybrid gets 32N.m/20hp less.

The torque difference between the HV and ICEV version is huge. Compared to 3UR V8 it's not even close. Peak torque values only tell a very small part of the story. For example the HV makes same torque at 1200rpm as ICEV at 2000rpm. So technically the hybrid could tow at very low rpm as long as the battery has charge (unfortunately it's the biggest bottleneck). The powertrain has a lot of potential with future battery upgrades.
Imp.png
Metric.png

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
So is the LX version of this HEV going to launch with a superior battery to unleash the potential?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So is the LX version of this HEV going to launch with a superior battery to unleash the potential?
The future scalability of this powertrain is great. Upgrading the battery to bipolar unit used in Aqua gives 2.02kWh capacity and increases peak output to 900N.m/510PS, without increase in weight (maybe a few more kg for a larger PCU). So you see the 870N.m/480PS figure for rumored LX750h is not far from what they could already do.