3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This is very true. The 'old but reliable Toyota' stereotype is actually a recent phenomenon. Before the 2010s Toyotas were known to have advanced tech AND good reliability.

kind of, Toyota of today are more reliable than Toyota's of 15 years ago. Yes, there are hickups like new engine in Tundra, but there have always been hickups - even when 4.7l was brand new. Heck M20A had issues when just released, etc, etc.

What makes todays Toyota better is that they will likely fix it in production this month or they already did, so the scope will be very limited. Toyota of 2000's took years to find out about issues and fix them.

All of that while still being the most reliable manufacturer.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I'm hoping that Toyota is swift with their fixes.

They also desperately need a new V8.
not qualified enough on their outgoing V8 motor, but it seems toyota had similar issues with cam tower leaks on the 5.7 and 4.6 has the coolant valley leaks that followed a similar course. Granted I dont see these issues on the J300 yet, and I bet those are rode hard and put away wet.

I assume these motors are coming from AL for the Tundra and now launching Seq. The J300 motors I assume are all Japan built.

Interesting times

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I assume these motors are coming from AL for the Tundra and now launching Seq. The J300 motors I assume are all Japan built.

Interesting times
I am going with your theory
As the LCj300 are being pushed hard in every place around the globe and no single issue in this matter what so ever

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I don't know about the older generations of Land Cruisers but the LC200's 5.7l V8 is pretty much free of the issues that plague the 5.7l V8 in other Toyotas, just inspecting the engine related components and talking to Toyota mechanics you can tell Toyota definitely gave the LC200's engine special treatment over the other Toyota models that also use the 5.7l V8, I'd be surprised if LC300's engines don't get special treatment over the other Toyota models that also use or will use those engines.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Hope there will be a unique factory for every engine type produced

It will be way more consistent and easy to test and track any issue

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The T24 does not use electronic wastegate so the problem will not occur on Tacoma.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Perhaps at the beginning, a lot of people - maybe Toyota included - didn’t expect the new Tundra to pick up more market share or eat into the pie owned by the big 3, but with the major shift to light trucks and the appeal of so many models and options, it feels like Toyota has a lot of upside with this new Tundra. It will be interesting to see how it plays out when inventory normalizes.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Update on that forum turbo postings, real world owner got a new turbo/actuator $5500 job done in 28 days. And for clarity the cab off method is not required for repair.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^Good. Seems like it was also relegated to a specific batch of VINs, and not too widespread. I hope Toyota can get those owners sorted pretty quickly.

My mom bought a new Venza Limited last weekend and when we were at the dealer, the delivery bay next to us was for a 1794 Tundra in black with the TRD package. Absolutely killer truck... I loved it. But $67k MSRP is about the same as my GX, and yet... it felt worth it!

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
"The fact that Toyota came up with "i-Force MAX" as a euphemism for "hybrid" is a clue that efficiency might not be the main objective here. We still don't have EPA numbers for the hybrid, but the truck's own reckoning from its trip computer put the mileage similar to the nonhybrid, which is to say high teens in mixed driving. We'd guess the i-Force MAX picks up 1 or 2 mpg in the city but doubt it betters the 22-mpg highway for the nonhybrid 4x4. "

This does not sound good. At a hypothetical 18/22 and "mixed teens" combined mpg, the value just isn't there for half a second of speed increase over the non-hybrid. Added weight, complexity, and cost all negate it. Toyota's hybrid tech should be much better than this in terms of raw numbers.
Well I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Total system output for the i-Force Max is 437 horsepower and 583 lb-ft of torque, an increase of 48 horses and 104 lb-ft over the non-hybrid Tundra. EPA fuel economy estimates aren't finalized, but Toyota's tests show an increase of 2 mpg in both city and combined cycles, with highway mpg unchanged. Raw numbers: 20/24/22 mpg city/highway/combined for the 4x2 hybrid, 19/22/21 for the 4x4 hybrid, and 19/21/20 for the 4x4 TRD Pro model. Unfortunately for Toyota, those numbers trail the hybrid version of the Ford F-150; the F-150 PowerBoost boasts 25- and 23-mpg combined estimates for 4x2 and 4x4 models, respectively.
@Carmaker1 hinted at this last year. Ford really took it upon themselves to take the wind out of Toyotas Hybrid Truck stride. For the benefit of the doubt, Ford is down on power compared to the imax and if you are upgrading from the V8 tundra, 7 MPG improvement with a massive HP bump is a solid upgrade path.

Cant explain why the PR team was testing monikers like "World Beater" etc (unless they got tipped off about the Fuel economy numbers and a great defense is a strong offense bs), but I assume they're gonna run with some kind of eco friendly ad with the Super Bowl coming up.

Trob20

Fan
Reactions
Cant explain why the PR team was testing monikers like "World Beater" etc (unless they got tipped off about the Fuel economy numbers and a great defense is a strong offense bs), but I assume they're gonna run with some kind of eco friendly ad with the Super Bowl coming up.
I don't think Toyota ever insisted the truck was a world beater. I believe that came from a dealership rep after they were shown the truck. It seems Toyota has been trying to set expectations, but the long, drawn-out reveal let the rumor and gossip bug take control of the narrative of what this truck was going to be.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I don't think Toyota ever insisted the truck was a world beater. I believe that came from a dealership rep after they were shown the truck. It seems Toyota has been trying to set expectations, but the long, drawn-out reveal let the rumor and gossip bug take control of the narrative of what this truck was going to be.
Yes and no. Dealers saw the vehicle in attendance at their annual meeting and drummed up performance and economy. The world beater comments were after a whole presentation that seemingly leaked from a test video. Never heard of the world beater comments after the reveal though.

#bornfrominvincible is their new slogan