Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Just hope that the new GX has that buttery smoothness as the old V8

I think Lexus fixed the "rougher" idle issue on the the LS 500 for the 23 model year (I feel like I remember seeing something about this but can't find it now), so I think it should be pretty smooth once that powertrain hits the GX.

Throttle response and transmission delay might be another situation all together, but hopefully they have that fixed too since the last LS 500 I drove (2021 MY).

mikeavelli

Reactions
Mike, thanks for the video, while you were looking at it in person, did the rear side windows seem small to you?

They seem like the over the shoulder visibility for lane changes may be limited, like, dare I say, the FJ Cruiser.

View attachment 7495
View attachment 7496

I actually did sit and try to see if it hindered the view and it definitely is raised up and noticeable. It was also dark and not a driving setting so hard to make a conclusion.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Hi Mike, thanks for the link, I'll give the SAE methodology a try. In years and years of driving I've never had a blind spot accident, I like the belt and suspenders method, even though I love all my nanny electronics, including BSD.
Same. I depend a lot on the blind spot monitor now, to the point where I initially panic when I'm driving something without it, but I drove for years without it before that and it's easy to re-learn.

What surprises me is the number of clips you still see of people blindly backing into other cars or obstacles, even on cars where they definitely have backup sensors.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Random question/thought: Why does the GX have a spindle grill?

Lexus stated the spindle grill is going away in favor of "spindle body" as clearly seen in RX, LBX, TX and numerous concepts.

Debuting a completely redesigned 2024 MY vehicle with the spindle grill seems like an odd move.

In full disclosure, I'm really glad it does have the spindle since I like it and I think this looks much better than the aforementioned 3 models. It's just strange that the brand has publicly stated a move away from the spindle grill and what seems to be their most influential model release since the LC 500 has a clear and obvious spindle grill.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Random question/thought: Why does the GX have a spindle grill?

Lexus stated the spindle grill is going away in favor of "spindle body" as clearly seen in RX, LBX, TX and numerous concepts.

Debuting a completely redesigned 2024 MY vehicle with the spindle grill seems like an odd move.

In full disclosure, I'm really glad it does have the spindle since I like it and I think this looks much better than the aforementioned 3 models. It's just strange that the brand has publicly stated a move away from the spindle grill and what seems to be their most influential model release since the LC 500 has a clear and obvious spindle grill.
I can only imagine it was conceived in the "transition" design phase alongside the RX, where they both have the full spindle shape without having the disconnected "spindle body" of the LBX/TX... and then delays just pushed the car later. I really like it more too.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Does it though?
It just seems to be losing its grill from the bottom not the top... like a reverse RX

I'd say so. The overall shape is clearly there even with the body colored piece at the bottom. It's much more "old Lexus" than the LBX or TX, but certainly an evolved spindle.

2024-lexus-gx-overtrail-013-64821647a99ea.jpg

vs.

2024-lbx-lexus-6tw6yassssu0hb6gmvv7r79.jpeg

lexus-tx-500h-2024-04-exterior-front-scaled.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I can only imagine it was conceived in the "transition" design phase alongside the RX, where they both have the full spindle shape without having the disconnected "spindle body" of the LBX/TX... and then delays just pushed the car later. I really like it more too.

Damn, so I'm going to have to buy a pre-refresh Lexus product?! I hate that :ROFLMAO:

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
I'd say so. The overall shape is clearly there even with the body colored piece at the bottom. It's much more "old Lexus" than the LBX or TX, but certainly an evolved spindle.

2024-lexus-gx-overtrail-013-64821647a99ea.jpg

vs.

2024-lbx-lexus-6tw6yassssu0hb6gmvv7r79.jpeg

lexus-tx-500h-2024-04-exterior-front-scaled.jpg
Good God the TX and LBX are frighteningly similar 😳

jphcbpa

Fan
Reactions
I've just posted an extensive analysis update about the correct length and width of the new Lexus GX. It appears the root of the problem was in the conversion of millimeters to inches for the US release documents. The post is to long to repost here so please visit this link to read it in its full context.

TLDNR - 2024 GX Dimensions

CORRECT - Length - 194.88"
CORRECT - Width - 77.95"
INCORRECT - Length - 197.04"
INCORRECT - Width - 83.22"
is the height correct ?

Reactions
is the height correct ?
I glanced at height but did not take a hard look at it. Since posting I finally got one user on another forum to help me evaluate the odd photo angles to see what is really going on. It looks like due to either the parallax angle errors in the photos or the possibility Lexus had the mirrors folded in some of the photos created the illusion that the mirrors were riding within the envelope of the outermost part of the body and fenders.

So the more correct way to state the width dimensions:
Overall Width of the widest part of body, not including mirrors - 77.95"
Overall Width, at the outer tip of the mirrors, with the mirrors extended in there normal driving position - 83.22"

After reviewing a bunch of photos and videos I grabbed a screen capture from one video at the moment you can see the tip of the mirrors extending approximately 2 1/2" beyond the fender line.

2024-gx-mirror-in-the-extended-driving-position-png.3350534