NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I think the license plate numbers 342 is the hp of the T24 hybrid. I would expect a slight bump in hp over a Tacoma since Lexus traditionally uses premium fuel, so 342hp makes sense. It is a single motor hybrid, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the RX500h, with its dual motor setup, puts out more hp. I would expect the GX to have at least the 465 ft-lb torque that the Tacoma has, maybe more if it uses the 102hp electric motor from the RX.

The SR tune of the V35 makes 348hp and 405 ft-lb torque. So, if Lexus uses the SR tune for the V35, then the nomenclature makes more sense. GX550 for 405 ft-lb torque drivetrain, and GX550h for 465 ft-lb torque drivetrain. The RX500h is rated at 406 ft-lb torque.

I would like to see the full tune V35 in the GX, but the SR tune still makes fair amount more hp/torque over the outgoing 4.6.

I have a feeling Lexus is going to be really pushing the T24 hybrid drivetrain in the GX, and the V35 is there so people with a current GX don’t have to go from a V8 to an I4.

I’m super excited.

Last edited:

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
We don't have any hybrid trademarks yet, but i'm thinking the GX550 either uses SR tune + premium to get closer to 375hp, or just uses IFORCE tune with regular for 389hp. Only 2 logical options to me.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
We don't have any hybrid trademarks yet, but i'm thinking the GX550 either uses SR tune + premium to get closer to 375hp, or just uses IFORCE tune with regular for 389hp. Only 2 logical options to me.

I think the license plate numbers 342 is the hp of the T24 hybrid.
What do the license plate numbers "734" of the second teaser mean then? 734 Nm? Tundra i-Force Max has 790 Nm.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
What do the license plate numbers "734" of the second teaser mean then? 734 Nm? Tundra i-Force Max has 790 Nm.
That one is a head scratcher to me. Best I can come up with is hp + torque of the detuned V35. If the hp and torque numbers of the Tundra SR V35 tune are added, it comes out to 753. So maybe the V35 in the GX makes slightly less hp or torque than the Tundra SR? I feel like I’m grasping at straws here, but that’s the best I can come up.

I think the GX is going to use the 8 speed auto regardless of engine choice, so the detuned V35 might be more feasible with the lighter duty 8 speed compared to the larger/heavier 10 speed. Probably the same 8 speed transmission and full-time AWD tcase found in the Tacoma Limited.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
GX 550h is maybe just a detuned V35A hybrid from the Tundra i-Force Max. GX is obviously V35A. Prado was never offered with GX engines, and vice versa, no Diesel in GX. Tacoma and GX were and are related, and still this generation they do no share powertrains. Maybe a GR Tacoma with V35A, but it looks like Toyota has chosen the TRD badge for BOF vehicles in NA.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Definitely not. It won’t be called GX550 with more hp/tq than LX600, and there are no hybrid trademarks yet

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Definitely not. It won’t be called GX550 with more hp/tq than LX600, and there are no hybrid trademarks yet
Not in USA, but yes GX 550h is trademarked. A TMNA HQ source who means well when he answers some of my questions, states GX and all Lexus models with each redesign will be "electrified" in USA, if they weren't previously.

He answered that when I directly asked about GX 550h. I'm not going to name him directly.

Another person who has some GX commodities at his company and do prototype testing, refers to working with a T24A-FTS hybrid powertrain both for the GX and 4Runner.

He also worked on the 4Runner Hybrid and described the 4R design in detail to me recently.

Versus just guessing like he might've on TX vs GX, sight unseen, and making a mistake that became glaring when I shared it as accurate.

In this space, I am thankful none of us are referring to GX 550 as a hybrid, because it isn't. A lot of people in some other spaces and the automotive media, keep suggesting that the V35A-FTS hybrid from the Tundra will be offered in the GX.

I don't think so, that's probably LX 700h only. They're already validating the 2025 MY MMCs, in Tundra and probably LX and J300 LC. The design changes are signed off. We'll see how it matches up at launch, what we're hearing now.

I don't see Lexus offering a lesser V35A-FTS hybrid in the GX right now, since there are no trademarks for GX 600h nor GX650h. It will be a more powerful/torqueier application of T24A-FTS.

TX 550h+ will be a Lexus exclusive, so the GX 550h in longitudinal form and different mounting of battery, will be akin to what debuted as i-Force Max 2.4T in the Tacoma. There will be some differences of course in a 2-3 row SUV.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
BestCar is saying Prado/GX wheelbase is stretched to match the Land Cruiser wheelbase and width and height has increased slightly. They’re also saying weight is reduced by 350lbs.

They have renders of the Prado, and it does appear to continue sharing a body with the GX. Prado has longer taillights that take up some of the panel below the GX taillights. No light bar on the Prado.

This is all on Kirk’s YouTube.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
BestCar is saying Prado/GX wheelbase is stretched to match the Land Cruiser wheelbase and width and height has increased slightly. They’re also saying weight is reduced by 350lbs.

They have renders of the Prado, and it does appear to continue sharing a body with the GX. Prado has longer taillights that take up some of the panel below the GX taillights. No light bar on the Prado.

This is all on Kirk’s YouTube.
Hi, just saw this video right this second. Yes, the rendering is now allowing this comparatively MAG-X chicken scratch sketch to make more sense to me.

Screen-Shot-2023-03-29-at-10-56-42-AM.png

I thank you for bringing this to my attention, but I'll give credit to Kodansha's BestCar magazine, not Kirk nor AP who a cousin of mine just shared to me posted a video on that too. (Misinformation within coverage)

This is not the Prado were are going to be getting in the United States, something I've been sharing for awhile with many of my personal contacts and online contacts.

We are getting a derivative, that is basically an FJ replacement, likely influenced by both the 70-Series and FJ line of vehicles of yore (FJ40/FJ Cruiser).

Thanks to BestCar, I now have enough clarity to make the connection between the Global Prado and the GX. The Prado is once again, the Toyota version of the GX. The GX is slightly more stylized than the upcoming Prado, while the US version is quite different. The greenhouse is shared between the two and this was something I noticed on either Friday or yesterday.

You'll have this:

• 2024 Boxy Prado 150 Replacement and 2024 GX version at Lexus division.
    • Offered Globally including USA. First Midsize GA-F Vehicle to Be Assembled, Starting Oct. 2023
    • IMG_20230528_225305.jpg
    • Not offered in USA, SOP is Q1 2024, Launch April 2024
    • NEOBK-2864040.jpg
  • 2024 1/2 Alternative Prado Retro Version Designed To Rival Wrangler and Bronco (Mentioned By @Gecko in 2019)
    • Targeted towards North America, might be offered globally in select markets as FJ Replacement (Rendering is off, remove 4Runner cues and it's closer).
    • IMG_20230527_175931.jpg
    • Production Starts In Jan 2024
    • Launch was Scheduled for March 2024 back in mid-March per TMNA HQ
  • 2025 4Runner = Japanese Built Tacoma SUV, with some differences.
    • Designed for USA, Evolutionary Vehicle (as @Gecko first mentioned in 2019)
    • 1132480.jpg
    • SOP was last scheduled for July 2024
  • 2024 Tacoma
    • North American Built Pickup, Second Midsize GA-F Vehicle to Be Assembled; Starting Nov. 2023
    • Launch in Dec 2023; Spring 2024 Hybrid
    • B28806C7-964A-4495-AE95-D968708D6A0F.jpg
    [*]2025 Hilux
    • GA-F Global Pickup
    • Might Be Heavily Related To 2024 Tacoma
      • Down to Sheetmetal?
    • Adopts Dynamic Force Engines?
      • 1GD-FTV 2.8TD and F33A-FTV V6 in LX 500d/FJA300 are not Dynamic Force
    • IMV is current architecture
    [*]2025 Fortuner
    • Hilux SUV
    • Future unknown to me.
    • IMV is current architecture

Last edited:
Reactions
You mean... THIS video?

View attachment 7288
This is the video Kirk covers the latest, with dimensions, on the Toyota Land Cruiser 250.

1685275507720-png.3334095

Reactions
To me all renderings are just pixel artists trying to get clicks. The natural progression is as Toyota puts our more teasers they will get closer to reality but many are just sloppily put out to drive clicks while missing out on the true nuances. Case in point, look at GX-Teaser1.jpg below, the narrow flat area of the fender, by the headlight, is out of proportion and to narrow, also, the fender flare angle and width are wrong.

View attachment GX-Teaser1.jpg