Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Fall 2021 is a year further than expected making the current NX on a longish 7-year cycle.

Speculation on the 4-5 powertrain options?

2L N/A ICE Direct Shift CVT (i.e. UX, Corolla, etc)
2L T ICE 8-speed (or new 10-speed would be nice) (i.e. current engine carried over with minor refinements/bump in power)
2.5 L Hybrid CVT (i.e. RAV 4, Camry, ES, etc)
2.5 L PHEV CVT (i.e. RAV 4 PHEV)

other?
The above is dead accurate.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Fall 2021 is a year further than expected making the current NX on a longish 7-year cycle.

Speculation on the 4-5 powertrain options?

2L N/A ICE Direct Shift CVT (i.e. UX, Corolla, etc)
2L T ICE 8-speed (or new 10-speed would be nice) (i.e. current engine carried over with minor refinements/bump in power)
2.5 L Hybrid CVT (i.e. RAV 4, Camry, ES, etc)
2.5 L PHEV CVT (i.e. RAV 4 PHEV)

other?
Any possibility of the rumored 2.4 or 2.5-liter 4 cylinder turbo debuting here, possibly as an NX F?

Also, wouldn't naturally-aspirated 2-liter be for markets outside North America?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Any possibility of the rumored 2.4 or 2.5-liter 4 cylinder turbo debuting here, possibly as an NX F?

Also, wouldn't naturally-aspirated 2-liter be for markets outside North America?

The source of my information saw the vehicle, but isn't a car enthusiast nor works in the industry. They do love Lexus though and got very lucky. I wanted to put some distance between what they saw last year and when/if I disclosed it.

After seeing no one report on this for months on LE, I remembered this info and chose to report. If you research my posts on here, sometime last year I switched my prediction to 2022 MY from 2021. That is when I found out this info, but...stayed silent and only mentioned the date change.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
If you research my posts on here, sometime last year I switched my prediction to 2022 MY from 2021. That is when I found out this info, but...stayed silent and only mentioned the date change.
I did notice that and made the corresponding date change on my draft future TNGA list at that point.

Will1991

Reactions
Is it expected to the PHEV engine and new infotainment to carry over to other models?

I'm guessing 2NX will be the point Lexus will step up in design/engineering/infotainment?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not as familiar with which makes sense for global markets with a displacement tax, but the biggest thing the NX needs is a new "core" 4-cylinder, whether it's a new 2.0T or the rumored 2.4/2.5L T. 8AR-FTS has never been a particularly great engine, and it'll be even less competitive in 2 years, not to mention the 5-10 years for a full 2NX lifecycle.

I wish they'd do something in the realm of 350-400hp - it would be really nice for "NX 400" or NX F. Lexus needs to create some sort of answer to SQ5, X3 40i, etc.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Good to hear there will be something new when my damn GS lease is up lol (since IS is not going to be...I digress...) wish they would make an F tho. Their main competition all have a bigger engine. Here’s to the start of some new model news please!

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions

To further answer your question, the second source of the information being confirmed was a Lexus dealer official in the UK.

USA market products do not concern his knowledge. My first source, is someone that doesn't work in that kind of capacity and is a Lexus owner who "had eyes".

I mentioned 4-5 powertrains, as another is not yet set for launch, but 4 are set.

I am marrying information from both people. The former isn't an expert, but the latter is.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I did notice that and made the corresponding date change on my draft future TNGA list at that point.
Yes I apologize about my being vague. Actually did forget about 2NX details, thinking it had already been mentioned on here.

The few times I did remember recently, I was not logged in or too busy. There were several weeks I did not post here.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I keep hearing the next NX is a killer and a lot of excitement about it. Considering how well this NX sold I can only imagine what an improved one would do.

What is going to keep the NX as seen as below the Germans is if Lexus does not offer a true performance model. F-SPort can't be it when now we have the X3 M's and even the SQ5 and GLB 35/45 whatever..Lexus really has to up the performance and I hope something is in the pipeline.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Is it expected to the PHEV engine and new infotainment to carry over to other models?

I'm guessing 2NX will be the point Lexus will step up in design/engineering/infotainment?

I reckon entrainment will be better but still not perfect... But with maybe touch screen will be all it really needs. Wouldn't expect too much from them.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm not as familiar with which makes sense for global markets with a displacement tax, but the biggest thing the NX needs is a new "core" 4-cylinder, whether it's a new 2.0T or the rumored 2.4/2.5L T. 8AR-FTS has never been a particularly great engine, and it'll be even less competitive in 2 years, not to mention the 5-10 years for a full 2NX lifecycle.

2.0l didn't make sense to me but apparently it sells something, and new one is nicer.

What would make sense is to make several hybrids:
- 218hp from RAV4
- 243hp from hh as limited/f-sport
- 302hp phev

Or just use HH setup as this is luxury vehicle.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Has anyone wondered what happened to the 2.0T engine? What I found very weird about the 2.0T Dynamic Force is the apparent lack of any bidding request for suppliers and construction contractors from FAW-Toyota Engine Works regarding a new engine model. They usually post these requests 30 months before something goes into production. So far all clues point to them only expanding production of the three engines currently produced in China: the M15, M20, and A25.

So I couldn't help but ask: does the 2.0T DF have a future (is Toyota proceeding with making one)? This engine really only makes sense in three markets: ChDM, EU, and JDM. But in all three markets Toyota is increasingly pushing for hybrids that 2.0T engines are getting replaced by the A25 hybrid. For the few ICE models they are still selling, it makes more sense to just refresh the 8AR to reduce cost.

A 2.0T used to be the core engine of any brand due to its versatility. However, the A25 has become one of the most versatile engines ever produced as it covers the 150-250kW range perfectly, where most mid-size and larger vehicles are sold. It is one engine that replaces four: the 2.5 2AR, the 2.7 1AR, the 2.0T 8AR (hybrid), and the 3.5 2GR (prime). The only obstacle is battery production, but several of their battery plants are coming online in the next couple of years so the supply problem could be alleviated.

For NA, there is no need for a new 2.0T if they are making the 2.4/2.5T already since there is no tax on displacement. There is little cost addition in scaling up the engine: it's basically just extra material cost. The 2.4/2.5T will be the workhorse for majority of the TNGA-K and TNGA-F products as they start phasing out the 2GR-FKS. Meanwhile the 8AR-FTS only exists on two Lexus products: the IS and NX. Lexus could really need more power on both of them and a 2.5T will elevate them above the competition. We also need to remember that the recently launched G16E-GTS with its incredible 124hp/L specific power basically replaces the 2.0T as a 200kW-class engine for small and light performance vehicles so there's one fewer reason for it to exist.

I wish they'd do something in the realm of 350-400hp - it would be really nice for "NX 400" or NX F. Lexus needs to create some sort of answer to SQ5, X3 40i, etc.

Therefore my guess is their core 4-cylinder is the A25 both in naturally aspirated and turbocharged form.

The 135kW A25A-FXS+E-Four PHV = 225 kW/302hp, with the E-Axle it could even scale to 250kW/335hp. So a hypothetical turbocharged A25 with 225kW+PHV would make 315kW/420hp+. I guess this powertrain could be offered on higher trim of RX and performance variant of NX. With just one modular powertrain design they can basically scale from 150kW to 300kW+, which is really economically efficient. They must be planning something with the E-Axle; it just doesn't make sense to only use it for the ES.

Last edited:

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I keep hearing the next NX is a killer and a lot of excitement about it. Considering how well this NX sold I can only imagine what an improved one would do.

What is going to keep the NX as seen as below the Germans is if Lexus does not offer a true performance model. F-SPort can't be it when now we have the X3 M's and even the SQ5 and GLB 35/45 whatever..Lexus really has to up the performance and I hope something is in the pipeline.

Hopeful... but I'm not holding my breath considering how many other Lexus RWD models would/should have been F model candidates already - IS, LC, LS.

What I would like to see as a decent alternative is the F Sport line to provide a bump in power in addition to the suspension upgrade.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
So if a new NX is coming next year when should we see it? Sometime this year right or will it not be shown until next year?

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
End of 2020 in Tokyo or ces in 2021 if the release is fall 2021
Lexus has been pretty shy about showing upcoming product early
Not a good idea when your current product is a Little stale and plentiful

Will1991

Reactions
Lexus has been pretty shy about showing upcoming product early
Not a good idea when your current product is a Little stale and plentiful

Well, they could loose even more sales if people could see what was to come... In a era were almost everyone wants the very last thing...