CX-9 - 29.7 inches of legroom and 35.4 inches of headroom
Q7 - 29.2 inches, 35.9 inches
MDX - 29.1 inches, 36.2 inches
QX60 - 30.8 inches, 35.7 inches
Aviator - 29.2 inches, 36.9 inches
Telluride - 31.4 inches, 38.1 inches
GV80 - 30.3 inches, 34.3 inches
CX-90 - 30.4 inches, 36.9 inches

Quite competitive if you ask me. Less than the Telluride/Palisade and likely the upcoming TX will have a larger 3rd row as well.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Lawd 11 levels… dealers can’t be happy… Priced decent under 50, the 60k price is wow but not surprising.

Reactions
This seems to be a genuine knock outta the park except there's some teething issues with electronics and the transmission is pretty janky at low speeds.

They basically made a BMW DCT but less quick to shift.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Headlights are too small and seem old vs. rest of front end, otherwise I love the rest of the exterior, just less positive on front end than most.

Interior of upper trims is pretty wow for Mazda.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Their designers are nailing it inside and out. Shame that RWD sedan isn’t coming, Really curious to see this in person.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
View attachment 6750View attachment 6751View attachment 6752

Saw it in person today. The D-Pillar is kinda uncanny irl, but the overall car does look pretty good tbh. I wish the rear bumper was a bit longer to balance the D Pillar.
Even though the CX-90 is a 3-row SUV, it doesn't look like a gigantic, bulbous, in-your-face mess unlike many other 3-row crossovers and SUVs. Also, the Miata park right next to it looks so smol and cute in relation to the CX-90 lol.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
R&T mentioned this 3.3L turbocharged inline 6 has a compression ratio of 12:1, that's kinda crazy for a production turbocharged engine designed to run on pump gas, I got a feeling this engine is probably a Miller cycle engine, basically an Atkinson cycle engine paired with forced induction like supercharger or turbocharger.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
R&T mentioned this 3.3L turbocharged inline 6 has a compression ratio of 12:1, that's kinda crazy for a production turbocharged engine designed to run on pump gas, I got a feeling this engine is probably a Miller cycle engine, basically an Atkinson cycle engine paired with forced induction like supercharger or turbocharger.
Yes it is. The 12:1 is the effective expansion ratio in Atkinson mode. That's how G16E-GTS can run at an increible 10.5:1 "compression ratio" with 180PS/liter. A lot of modern turbocharged engines are Miller cycle but manufacturers just don't advertise that feature because it has become a standard. It's very hard for an Otto cycle turbocharged engine to reach over 90kW/L with over 10:1 "compression ratio" on 95 RON gasoline.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
This review is so irrelevant to the shoppers of these vehicles. How many buyers of 3-row SUVs will take their family truckster drag racing on an abandoned runway or empty stretch of highway?

Shoppers of these large family vehicles are more concerned with the space in the 2nd and 3rd rows, and comfort of the driver's seat for those cross-country family roadtrips. They will be much less concerned with high-speed handling and 0-to-60 sprint times; they will rightly assume that handling is safe and acceleration to highway speed is quick enough.

It took these reviewers some time before mentioning space and comfort -- what really matters to shoppers of 3-row SUVs.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Scroll down to the bottom part of the article, Mazda North America's head of powertrain, Jay Chen, suggest this engine will end up in a sedan of some sorts, Mazda used to make a few generations of FR sedans called the 929. So who knows, maybe they'll make a modern version of that and call it the Mazda 9 or maybe a sedan that's more compact and sportier but still sits above the Mazda 6 in the Mazda hierarchy and call it the Mazda 7.

Also Chen says this isn't this 3.3L turbo inline 6's final form, well here's hopping this means they will make continuous improvements to this engine's efficiency and performance rather than keeping it exactly the same throughout its life cycle and end up getting severely outgunned by the competition.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Scroll down to the bottom part of the article, Mazda North America's head of powertrain, Jay Chen, suggest this engine will end up in a sedan of some sorts, Mazda used to make a few generations of FR sedans called the 929. So who knows, maybe they'll make a modern version of that and call it the Mazda 9 or maybe a sedan that's more compact and sportier but still sits above the Mazda 6 in the Mazda hierarchy and call it the Mazda 7.

Also Chen says this isn't this 3.3L turbo inline 6's final form, well here's hopping this means they will make continuous improvements to this engine's efficiency and performance rather than keeping it exactly the same throughout its life cycle and end up getting severely outgunned by the competition.
Mazda axed the 6 for North America. I even wrote Mazda USA an email expressing my displeasure with that.